Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 23-12-2011, 00:53   #981
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Brown View Post
you can't vote for Suarez (you just end up on a white screen).

o:
It's what he would have wanted

Last edited by DeadYankee; 23-12-2011 at 00:54.
Old 23-12-2011, 00:54   #982
d2000s
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
Agreed, this will go down as a dark chapter (no pun intended) in Liverpool's history........if there is evidence supporting the FA's verdict.
Am sure that's what you meant
Old 23-12-2011, 00:59   #983
soberion
Warlocks do it with style

Quote:
Don't worry, Sky have 'fixed' it. The poll was due to close at midnight, but hasn't. And now, you can't vote for Suarez (you just end up on a white screen).

http://www.skysports.com/poll/result...308666,00.html

Nani is now in the lead
Shocking. I voted for Modric after Suarez vote failing.

Last edited by soberion; 23-12-2011 at 00:59.
Old 23-12-2011, 01:13   #984
Fever Dawg
Genetically different

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s View Post
Why do you and other LFC fans keep referring to it as the FA's verdict?

The verdict came from the independant panel, the FA just brought the charge and acted as the prosecutors.
Old 23-12-2011, 01:20   #985
d2000s
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dawg View Post
Why do you and other LFC fans keep referring to it as the FA's verdict?

The verdict came from the independant panel, the FA just brought the charge and acted as the prosecutors.
I typed quickly, but it doesn't really matter to me who heard the case, i just want to hear the evidence so i can make up my own mind.
Old 23-12-2011, 01:35   #986
Guest 12934
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s View Post
Of course, but I can't see it going any other way to be honest.
Then again it's possible that my version of evidence won't be the same as yours.
Old 23-12-2011, 02:32   #987
leemel
Diagnosed Mail Reader

Quote:
On a slightly brighter note, SkySports have been running two polls on their website, both closing at midnight tonight. The results?

Best Ever Premier League Player: Steven Gerrard

Best Premier League Player of 2011: Luis Suarez

Now why isn't Le Tissier on there...if Gerrard can get a nomination, then surely the best technical English player that hasn't won a PL medal should be on there.
Old 23-12-2011, 05:47   #988
LouBarlow
Retired Member

God bless AlanB for letting Brunty back in this forum. It's like the good old days when you wake up and find 3 new pages to read since your last visit
Old 23-12-2011, 08:23   #989
AFC
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post

Erm, perhaps because he is being accused of being one left, right and center ??

Quote:
As most of the people on here (apart from a few) have already said and agreed with. I'm struggling to understand why it seems that LFC & fans are all saying "Suarez is NOT a racist" when that's not what most people are saying
As I originally said, apart from a few on here (and i'll add in the Mirror) who is actually calling Suarez a racist? from what I have seen the majority of people, most other news reports in print & online, even the FA & Evra don't think Surarez is a racist, hardly left, right and center.
Old 23-12-2011, 09:25   #990
iainw
PSN: iainw

at the end of the day until the evidence is released this thread will go around in circles, liverpool fans will never convince rival fans about the statement or the player... and vice versa. bit tedious to be fair...

the appeal deadline is mid jan i think... and then the evidence is to be released 14 days after that, so it will be practically february before we know anything! so no one will be any wiser until then. very annoying.

if suarez did drop the new 'n' bomb, negrito, doing it in this country was unwise, no matter what, no matter how non abusive it might be. even the little pea uses the word, in his own country http://www.chivascampeon.com/noticia/2009/

anyways other than the ban being reduced, what i am hoping for is man city to flash the cash in a week or two so DY gets his period back on and ***** off into defecating in their thread rather than this one... and that we actually score some goals and get some results so horseflesh steers clear of here for a while too.
Old 23-12-2011, 09:25   #991
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Suarez isn't a racist imo, thats what Liverpool and their players are failing to grasp up there on their high horse.

Doesn't mean that saying a particular offensive word in a particular scenario shouldn't be punished...

This from elsewhere sums it up for me..

Quote:
The thing with Suarez is that this is an opportunity for Liverpool to take a sublimely talented player and start the process of ironing out the flaws in his character that make him a potential liability - they're going to miss that opportunity by appealing this decision and blaming the FA for everything.

They'd be best served by just saying fair enough, we'll put Luis through an educational process in an effort to help him stop being footballs largest idiot and bring him back a better man - as it is, they're just going to drag their clubs name through the mud.

Suarez has already made Kenny Dalglish (a very decent man) look a complete fool this season, if they let him do the same to the whole club they'll deserve it.
Old 23-12-2011, 09:30   #992
nutter45
burninator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainw View Post
at the end of the day until the evidence is released this thread will go around in circles, liverpool fans will never convince rival fans about the statement or the player... and vice versa. bit tedious to be fair...

the appeal deadline is mid jan i think... and then the evidence is to be released 14 days after that, so it will be practically february before we know anything! so no one will be any wiser until then. very annoying.

if suarez did drop the new 'n' bomb, negrito, doing it in this country was unwise, no matter what, no matter how non abusive it might be. even the little pea uses the word, in his own country http://www.chivascampeon.com/noticia/2009/

anyways other than the ban being reduced, what i am hoping for is man city to flash the cash in a week or two so DY gets his period back on and ***** off into defecating in their thread rather than this one... and that we actually score some goals and get some results so horseflesh steers clear of here for a while too.
Bang on
Old 23-12-2011, 09:39   #993
dmb6473a
Trusted User

Quote:
liverpool fans will never convince rival fans about the statement or the player... and vice versa. bit tedious to be fair..

That's the problem with this debate. Some fans are using it as an excuse for a "my club vs your club" issue (on both sides of the argument). That's the part that I find most distasteful.
Old 23-12-2011, 09:45   #994
Lucid
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb6473a View Post
That's the problem with this debate. Some fans are using it as an excuse for a "my club vs your club" issue (on both sides of the argument). That's the part that I find most distasteful.
But I wonder if things would be quite so heated if this had happened to another player at another club
Old 23-12-2011, 09:48   #995
dmb6473a
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
But I wonder if things would be quite so heated if this had happened to another player at another club

If it had happened with Ronaldo when he played for Man Utd, I'm pretty certain it would have.

It's not a club issue, and the fact that it's become one is shameful.
Old 23-12-2011, 09:49   #996
nutter45
burninator

It will always be the way. Liverpool fans will always hate the Drogbas and Ronaldos, Chelsea and Utd fans will hate the Suarezs no matter what.
Old 23-12-2011, 09:54   #997
D J Fryer
Trusted User

I don't think it is unimaginable for someone to use racist language and not be a racist.

I think the reasonable person (which excludes a few posting) can see how a person could say something racist in the heat of the moment when emotions are running high whilst not holding the deep seated beliefs and prejudices that a card carrying 'racist' might have. Shades of grey, if you will.

If others think you are either are or you are not racist then I would suggest that a significant proportion are racist.
Old 23-12-2011, 10:00   #998
dmb6473a
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by D J Fryer View Post
I don't think it is unimaginable for someone to use racist language and not be a

I would agree. For racist language, I think the penalty of 8 games should be a significant deterrent for anyone in future to think before they speak. For someone with multiple infractions (who we can safely call a racist), the punishment would need to be considerably longer.
Old 23-12-2011, 10:05   #999
Guest 12934
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFC View Post
As I originally said, apart from a few on here (and i'll add in the Mirror) who is actually calling Suarez a racist? from what I have seen the majority of people, most other news reports in print & online, even the FA & Evra don't think Surarez is a racist, hardly left, right and center.
Well yeah, but that doesn't tie in with the victim game instigated by Liverpool and being followed blindly by 95% of fans.

Quote:

According to The Mirror, the 8 game bad breaks down into 2 matches for insulting language towards an opponent, and 6 for the racial aspect. Personally I think if the bulk of the ban is for the racial aspect (rather than a 50/50 split) that's a good message to send out.
Also I've heard this morning that Liverpool have told The Mirror that they're not longer welcome at Anfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
Suarez isn't a racist imo, thats what Liverpool and their players are failing to grasp up there on their high horse.

Doesn't mean that saying a particular offensive word in a particular scenario shouldn't be punished...

This from elsewhere sums it up for me..
The thing with Suarez is that this is an opportunity for Liverpool to take a sublimely talented player and start the process of ironing out the flaws in his character that make him a potential liability - they're going to miss that opportunity by appealing this decision and blaming the FA for everything.

They'd be best served by just saying fair enough, we'll put Luis through an educational process in an effort to help him stop being footballs largest idiot and bring him back a better man - as it is, they're just going to drag their clubs name through the mud.

Suarez has already made Kenny Dalglish (a very decent man) look a complete fool this season, if they let him do the same to the whole club they'll deserve it.
Spot on about Liverpool & Dalglish's reaction, they've made a huge error of judgement with this. Instead of anyone at the club putting up their hand and saying it was an unfortunate incident and Suarez is devastated about what happen but vows to move on and "better" himself, all they've done is indulge him.
The t-shirt stunt was disgusting, and completely the wrong message to send out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
It would obviously still be a big deal if it was different players/clubs, but it's 400 times worse because it's a Liverpool play and a United player.

Last edited by horseflesh; 23-12-2011 at 10:10.
Old 23-12-2011, 10:28   #1000
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Time for a new thread.

Closing
Closed Thread