Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 23-11-2011, 14:20   #161
BlueDwarf
I MUST HEAR FIREWORKS

Is your club a charity, staffed by volunteers, DY?
Old 23-11-2011, 14:48   #162
MaxNutter

Thanked 1,025 Times in 596 Posts
I get DY's point (I think!), it's not about the presence of a rich owner, it's about one who's willing to throw so much money at a club that it becomes a real game-changer.

This is not (just) about rattling the 'big boys' of United and Chelsea (etc), but it's about the effects it sends down the league.

Tottenham finished 4th two seasons ago, and now the level has been raised further still by City's spending. The cabal is now three (soon to be one, probably), which is of no benefit to the rest of the Premiership teams, in fact it is more harmful, as City are driving up the price and wages of players (see Adebayor) and pricing everyone else out.

As a United fan, I may feel threatened, or whatever, but if I were a fan of another club, it'd be a lot, lot worse!
Old 23-11-2011, 15:02   #163
Grunge
Trusted User

With blue tinted glasses on, City may be paying the money. but its the other clubs who set the transfer fee's and the players who make the salary demands.
Old 23-11-2011, 15:04   #164
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,082 Posts
In some ways you are only following orders
Old 23-11-2011, 16:00   #165
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunge View Post
With blue tinted glasses on, City may be paying the money. but its the other clubs who set the transfer fee's and the players who make the salary demands.
they ask for more money because it is City, because they know City can afford it, and City pay it to complete the circle...

I know it's not something City are doing consciously, but it is the inevitable side-effect... and it's one of the reasons people think what is happening at City is not "good for football"...
Old 23-11-2011, 16:02   #166
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Because they know you're willing to pay it.

Make it known to clubs and players that you're not prepared to pay double (usually as a minimum) what they're actually worth then they won't demand as much. Or, as is more likely, they'll not want to move to your club.

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it by MaxNutter

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 23-11-2011 at 16:05.
Old 23-11-2011, 17:24   #167
sharp_circle
Fantasist

As a Bolton fan I have no issue with what City are doing. The only way anyone gets to challenge the likes of Man U and Chelsea is by paying the money - how else is it possible in this day and age. I don't see any fans of other clubs other than the ones having their dominance threatened complaining.
Old 23-11-2011, 17:37   #168
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,082 Posts
That's utter ********
Old 23-11-2011, 17:39   #169
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_circle View Post
I don't see any fans of other clubs other than the ones having their dominance threatened complaining.
You do realize Brunty supports Liverpool don't you?
Old 23-11-2011, 17:52   #170
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYankee View Post
That's utter ********
Is it? You have not provided any evidence just shouted your bitterness towards the poster who was making a valid remark

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
You do realize Brunty supports Liverpool don't you?

Good article here (as usual) by zonal marking on the game

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/11/...-city-tactics/

Last edited by Citysmith; 23-11-2011 at 17:53.
Old 23-11-2011, 18:14   #171
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp_circle View Post
As a Bolton fan I have no issue with what City are doing. The only way anyone gets to challenge the likes of Man U and Chelsea is by paying the money - how else is it possible in this day and age. I don't see any fans of other clubs other than the ones having their dominance threatened complaining.
you should. you know that player that Bolton have been tracking? along with Villa and Everton? well now City have shown an interest. apparently they have a spot warming their bench available now Tevez has done one, and suddenly his fee has doubled and his wage demand has trippled.

or that free transfer player you were looking at? well he's found out that the going wage rate for a striker is a lot higher than you are offering (thanks to City), so now he's not interested...
Old 23-11-2011, 18:19   #172
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
you should. you know that player that Bolton have been tracking? along with Villa and Everton? well now City have shown an interest. apparently they have a spot warming their bench available now Tevez has done one, and suddenly his fee has doubled and his wage demand has trippled.

or that free transfer player you were looking at? well he's found out that the going wage rate for a striker is a lot higher than you are offering (thanks to City), so now he's not interested...
There you go sharp_circle that answers your question. It's not like all those points could have been applied to Manchester United's relationship with Bolton in the last 20 years
Old 23-11-2011, 18:44   #173
campdave
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citysmith View Post
There you go sharp_circle that answers your question. It's not like all those points could have been applied to Manchester United's relationship with Bolton in the last 20 years
Either what Man Utd did is fine, or what City are doing is not. You can't have you cake and eat it.

Last edited by campdave; 23-11-2011 at 18:44.
Old 23-11-2011, 19:07   #174
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Because they know you're willing to pay it.

Make it known to clubs and players that you're not prepared to pay double (usually as a minimum) what they're actually worth then they won't demand as much. Or, as is more likely, they'll not want to move to your club.

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it by MaxNutter
I'm not sure that's true. In each transfer since Mancini has been in charge, we've taken a fairly measured approach. We've signed two world class players for mid £20M (Silva & Yaya) and a few more with long-term potential for similar prices (Milner, Balotelli, Dzeko).

We paid a lot for more for Aguero, but he's probably worth it.

Each of these players has proved their worth already. The difference between us and a lot of other clubs is we've bought quite a few in a short space of time, but every one of them looks a bargain compared to Torres (£50M), Carroll (£35M), Henderson (£20M), Downing (too much) - big money on players who probably aren't worth it.
Old 23-11-2011, 19:34   #175
d2000s
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'm not sure that's true. In each transfer since Mancini has been in charge, we've taken a fairly measured approach. We've signed two world class players for mid £20M (Silva & Yaya) and a few more with long-term potential for similar prices (Milner, Balotelli, Dzeko).

Each of these players has proved their worth already. The difference between us and a lot of other clubs is we've bought quite a few in a short space of time, but every one of them looks a bargain compared to Torres (£50M), Carroll (£35M), Henderson (£20M), Downing (too much) - big money on players who probably aren't worth it.
You ignore the wages you are paying for your bargain players. Those fees were paid you quote were paid because clubs like Chelsea and City have inflated the market, sucking the profits out of clubs that are competing legitimately.

(PS. Henderson fee was £13m up front)
Old 23-11-2011, 19:36   #176
d2000s
Trusted User

Quote:
although I think the days of massive money spending have passed.
You're kidding yourself.
Old 23-11-2011, 19:40   #177
d2000s
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citysmith View Post
Brilliant, so quick to judge and spend so much time and energy on this thread but you won't read an article that shows a different side. :
Again you posted a link to an article without adding anything to it yourself other than saying its interesting. I think its a bit rich of you to expect anyone to put in more "time and effort" than you do yourself.

You did it on the next page too
Old 23-11-2011, 19:49   #178
Lee Brown
The Kraken Awakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post

It's not just the transfer fees though is it, it's also the inflated salaries that you're offering players.

If you offer Aguero £200 a week for 5 seasons, that's £50m plus his transfer fee.

Do you think any of Liverpool's new players you've listed is on anything like that salary? You're simply not comparing like with like.

Liverpool actually cut their wage bill by £30m this summer!
Old 23-11-2011, 19:53   #179
BlueDwarf
I MUST HEAR FIREWORKS

City's interest in a player affects the proposed wage or transfer fee in exactly the same way as when any slightly bigger/wealthier club shows an interest in a player.

Fans of Premiership teams moaning about City just comes over as sour grapes.

How can any fan who has a player in their own team earning £10K+ a week call City "vulgar"? Deluded.

Last edited by BlueDwarf; 23-11-2011 at 19:55.
Old 23-11-2011, 20:08   #180
d2000s
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDwarf View Post
City's interest in a player affects the proposed wage or transfer fee in exactly the same way as when any slightly bigger/wealthier club shows an interest in a player.

Fans of Premiership teams moaning about City just comes over as sour grapes.

How can any fan who has a player in their own team earning £10K+ a week call City "vulgar"? Deluded.
Were there any £100k a week players in the premier league before Chelsea? Were there any £200k players before Man City?
Closed Thread