Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 22-11-2011, 21:53   #141
nsb
Trusted User

Where did Zola get all that hair from?
Old 22-11-2011, 22:15   #142
d2000s
Trusted User

Am predicting Mr Mansour will buy Cavani off them in the summer for about £60m
Old 22-11-2011, 22:57   #143
Guest 12934
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s View Post
I was honestly just thinking the same thing
They'll make room for him by selling Dzeko for about £7m

Only saw the second half of the game and it was cracking stuff, they could have had 3-4 goals each. Napoli were stunning on the break.
I have to admit I had a sly laugh at Sky's (and their sheep disciples) expense at the runaway EPL leaders being beaten by the 7th placed Italian team
Old 23-11-2011, 10:02   #144
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s View Post
We wanted to buy him and Lavezzi (sp?) in the summer just gone so it wouldn't surprise me if we did try again, although I think the days of massive money spending have passed, we may splash out on marquee player(s) but I think our squad is complete (excluding youngsters coming through ) for a few years.

We need to win against Bayern Munich at the Etihad and we need Villarreal to do us a favour and either beat or draw against Napoli.

It was a poor result for City but there you go, certainly cant win them all and I was never expecing us to be doing so well anyway. We need to concentrate on bouncing back against Liverpool at the weekend.

Last edited by Grunge; 23-11-2011 at 10:06.
Old 23-11-2011, 11:31   #145
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Can't argue with much of that Grunge. Thought that Mancini missed a few tricks with not starting Barry and our normal full backs. Thought Mad Mario had a sticker despite his goal. Thought the Italians looked awesome on the break and the crowd was on a different level. If they go through fair play to 'em.
Old 23-11-2011, 11:38   #146
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citysmith View Post
Can't If they go through fair play to 'em.
Indeed
Old 23-11-2011, 11:45   #147
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYankee View Post
Indeed
Would enjoy your comments about the Daily Mail article I posted on the last page about FFPR by Martin Samuel:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...in-Samuel.html
Old 23-11-2011, 11:49   #148
DeadYankee

I don't read the Daily Mail, nor would I place any store by a single word printed in it. I am, however, sure that you take great comfort in whatever crumb of justification you imagine it gives to modus operandi of your fetid 'club'.
Old 23-11-2011, 11:49   #149
MaxNutter

Thanked 1,025 Times in 596 Posts
Quote:
Would enjoy your comments about the Daily Mail article I posted on the last page about FFPR by Martin Samuel:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...in-Samuel.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
it's a well written piece, but mainly for the implications for prospective buyers of other clubs.

City are following the Chelsea model of spending big and fast. I doubt the FFP has had any effect on this, rather on the ways and means in which they will 'generate' the income to make sure everything remains 'above board'...
Old 23-11-2011, 12:03   #150
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
it's a well written piece, but mainly for the implications for prospective buyers of other clubs.

City are following the Chelsea model of spending big and fast. I doubt the FFP has had any effect on this, rather on the ways and means in which they will 'generate' the income to make sure everything remains 'above board'...
I do recall when we were first taken over they suggested a 10 year plan, then after the 1st Hughes spend'athon the tone had changed to "Accelerated 10 years spending into a few years". I have tried to find the links but they were in videos' with Cook and I cant track them down.

I dont know If that was caused by FFPR or just general desire to get there quicker!, But that seems to have been decided around the time of FFPR being dreamt up, maybe it was a bit of both?, since then the Chelsea model certainly seems to have been adopted ( minus the new manager every year or 2 I hope )

Last edited by Grunge; 23-11-2011 at 12:05.
Old 23-11-2011, 12:10   #151
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Can't argue with much of that Grunge. Thought that Mancini missed a few tricks with not starting Barry and our normal full backs. Thought Mad Mario had a sticker despite his goal. Thought the Italians looked awesome on the break and the crowd was on a different level. If they go through fair play to 'em.
Yeah I was a little surprised Richards and Clichy were not playing. However I thought it was more of a tactical decision as we needed more solid defence rather than the attacking wing backs.

unfortunately I didn't get to see the match so I cant say for sure how well it worked ( or if they were used in the same way ) but a few people have reported it could have easily been 3-4 goals each.

Last edited by Grunge; 23-11-2011 at 12:14.
Old 23-11-2011, 12:48   #152
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYankee View Post
I don't read the Daily Mail, nor would I place any store by a single word printed in it. I am, however, sure that you take great comfort in whatever crumb of justification you imagine it gives to modus operandi of your fetid 'club'.
Brilliant, so quick to judge and spend so much time and energy on this thread but you won't read an article that shows a different side. I'm surprised you don't disallow Adebayors goals for Spurs as he's still been paid by the owners of Manchester City.

Legend that is DY
Old 23-11-2011, 13:07   #153
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunge View Post
Yeah I was a little surprised Richards and Clichy were not playing. However I thought it was more of a tactical decision as we needed more solid defence rather than the attacking wing backs.

unfortunately I didn't get to see the match so I cant say for sure how well it worked ( or if they were used in the same way ) but a few people have reported it could have easily been 3-4 goals each.
Zabaleta and Kolarov are Champions League regulars.
I'm surprised Barry didn't start and also that Aguero & Johnson didn't get on much sooner.

But yes, it there could have been a lot more goals. It was great match but being honest, Napoli had the far better chances and Joe Hart pulled off at least two brilliant saves. I don't think that we created enough clear cut chances around the box.
Old 23-11-2011, 13:19   #154
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Brilliant, so quick to judge and spend so much time and energy on this thread but you won't read an article that shows a different side.
TBF most of the stuff Martin Samuel writes is complete tosh (normally edging on xenophobic/racist) and the fact that it's the Daily 'we're racist in public so you don't have to be' Mail just adds to the effect.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 23-11-2011 at 13:20.
Old 23-11-2011, 13:26   #155
MaxNutter

Quote:
Brilliant, so quick to judge and spend so much time and energy on this thread but you won't read an article that shows a different side.
does it? I think it's a little inaccurate when it comes to City's buying...
Old 23-11-2011, 13:39   #156
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
does it? I think it's a little inaccurate when it comes to City's buying...
Care to explain how it's inaccurate?
Old 23-11-2011, 13:47   #157
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunge View Post
Care to explain how it's inaccurate?
sure, imo, there is no evidence of a link between the FFP and City's "accelerated spending". I'd think that if there was no FFP coming in, they'd have spent the same on players in the same timeframe.

The FFP has accelerated spending on the peripheral things, the 'Campus' etc, as a means to balance their on-the-pitch outgoings.

Therefore, Samuel's line of 'don't blame City for all that spending' is, imo, wrong.

Ok?
Old 23-11-2011, 13:49   #158
DeadYankee

Quote:
Brilliant, so quick to judge and spend so much time and energy on this thread but you won't read an article that shows a different side. I'm surprised you don't disallow Adebayors goals for Spurs as he's still been paid by the owners of Manchester City.

Legend that is DY
Ade is a symptom of the crass, vulgar and unsporting approach to the game taken by your degenerate ‘club’. I’m amazed that you have the brass neck to draw attention to what is patently a catastrophic situation by where you have paid players far, far, far too much money to entice them to play for your tinpot League Two outfil and then decided that you needed to spend even more vulgar swathes of cash to replace them and then even more cash to farm them out to play for other clubs because you have paid them so much money that no-one else can touch them. Those are the facts and I don’t need a tawdry Daily Mail article to provide them.
Old 23-11-2011, 13:54   #159
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
sure, imo, there is no evidence of a link between the FFP and City's "accelerated spending". I'd think that if there was no FFP coming in, they'd have spent the same on players in the same timeframe.

The FFP has accelerated spending on the peripheral things, the 'Campus' etc, as a means to balance their on-the-pitch outgoings.

Therefore, Samuel's line of 'don't blame City for all that spending' is, imo, wrong.

Ok?
Yeah, Fair points.

I personally dont think we would have spent quite as much seeing as we could have been more patient with the transfers ( ala Barca with Fabregas ). the selling clubs knew we had to buy asap so inflated the prices even more.

I do agree with the article that we had to get as much of the spending done before those kicked in though, even if it only got us regular top 4 so could have the success to sell to the youngsters being bought in to the youth squad.

We'll never know for sure though if the FFPR were a factor or not.
Old 23-11-2011, 13:59   #160
MaxNutter

Very true, we'll never really know, and it's all about opinions...
Closed Thread