Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 21-11-2011, 15:40   #121
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I notice that The Boss is playing the Ethiad on 22nd June - hopefully that will swell the coffers a bit!
Where did you hear that? Got a link?
Old 21-11-2011, 15:43   #122
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Club-news...Etihad-Stadium
Old 21-11-2011, 16:23   #123
Guest 12934
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunge View Post
If you want to believe that you have to You have to admit it's one hell of a coincidence that an airline who is investing unprecedented figure into a football club just happens to chose the airport a few miles down the road for it's expansion. But then, the world is full of coincidence.
An even bigger coincidence is that Etihad Airlines, the flag-carrier of Abu Dhabi whose chairman is Mansour's half-brother, out of the blue decide to sponsor an English football club to the tune of £400m. Remarkable coincidence that.

I've never made secret the fact that I've found City's spending splurge crass and vulgar, but so be it; but trying to cheat their way out of the FFP rules is stomach-churning.
Old 21-11-2011, 16:34   #124
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
An even bigger coincidence is that Etihad Airlines, the flag-carrier of Abu Dhabi whose chairman is Mansour's half-brother, out of the blue decide to sponsor an English football club to the tune of £400m. Remarkable coincidence that.

I've never made secret the fact that I've found City's spending splurge crass and vulgar, but so be it; but trying to cheat their way out of the FFP rules is stomach-churning.
I have no doubt that Etihad sponsoring Man City is related to Mansour's take over, they are 2 up and coming brands from the same country trying to ride off of each others success.

I just dont see the issue with the scale of the sponsorship as there has never been anything of this scale sponsored before.

And when you lock into a 10 year sponsorship deal, you are not only sponsoring on current value but the potential market exposure over that 10 years, and no one can doubt that potential exposure is huge.

If you think that's trying to cheat than so be it. I dont. The only thing I would consider "cheating" is the rumour of trying to offload back end staff onto the campus to try to get them off the books.

Last edited by Grunge; 21-11-2011 at 16:36.
Old 21-11-2011, 17:56   #125
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
It was the "Darkness" thread on these forums where I first heard about the tour.
You can also find it, among other places, on:-

http://www.brucespringsteen.net/news/index.html
Old 21-11-2011, 18:45   #126
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Cheers. 3rd December is in the diary.
Old 22-11-2011, 09:39   #127
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Yes, the FFP rules don't kick in for another 3 years but when they do start they will be based on the previous 3 years accounts ie you have 3 yrs to 'break even' not 6.
It would appear that we were mistaken. Apparently ( I didn't see it personally ) Sky Sports News had a half hour long show last night dedicated to FFPR and they states 2018 is the must "Break even" point.

All I could find online was this.

http://www.thelawyer.com/the-uefa-fi...009960.article

Quote:
The rules will come into force gradually from the 2013-14 season with a number of support mechanisms and buffers designed to assist during the introductory years. By 2018 when national European teams should be visiting Russia for the FIFA World Cup, the FFPR state that every licensed club should achieve a ’break-even’ financial position.

Last edited by Grunge; 22-11-2011 at 09:39.
Old 22-11-2011, 09:40   #128
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

An Interesting article about the Financial Fair Play Rules by Martin Samuel in the Mail tday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...in-Samuel.html

Seems well thought out piece
Old 22-11-2011, 13:56   #129
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunge View Post
It would appear that we were mistaken. Apparently ( I didn't see it personally ) Sky Sports News had a half hour long show last night dedicated to FFPR and they states 2018 is the must "Break even" point.

All I could find online was this.

http://www.thelawyer.com/the-uefa-fi...009960.article
That's sort of what I thought ...

By the end of 2014/2015 you must not have lost more than £40M over the previous 3 years. By the end of 2017/2018 you must be at least breaking even over the previous 3 years.

The question is how strict UEFA are going to be ? "You made a £42M loss ? Sorry you're out"

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 22-11-2011 at 13:58.
Old 22-11-2011, 14:06   #130
MaxNutter

Thanked 1,025 Times in 596 Posts
it's a well written piece, but mainly for the implications for prospective buyers of other clubs.

City are following the Chelsea model of spending big and fast. I doubt the FFP has had any effect on this, rather on the ways and means in which they will 'generate' the income to make sure everything remains 'above board'...
Old 22-11-2011, 17:45   #131
Eastlander
Trusted User

Those clinging to FFP and hoping it will be some kind of handbrake on City are going to be sorely disappointed.

The Times have been running some great articles deconstructing it lately.

IF UEFA ever try to impose serious sanctions (which they won't) they will be sued and they will lose. Which they already know. Hence Platini asking for judicial protection for the EC "otherwise it is going to be difficult".

This is why we are already hearing leaks regarding the watering down of sanctions, and the softening of the criteria from absolutes (45m over three years) to assessing 'trends' to see if financial positions are improving.

Heard a Deloitte analyst who's been advising UEFA on this for a few years speak about it at a conference recently - fascinating stuff, but the definition of a 'pipedream'.

Look elsewhere for salvation those who long for City to come unstuck, FFP isn't it.

Surprised by how far The Times has gone on this, but this opening from them just about sums it up:

"When the phrase “financial fair play” was first mentioned in Uefa circles in the autumn of 2008, there was no doubt about the kind of foul play it was designed to outlaw. As David Taylor, the Uefa general secretary, put it, it was all about tackling “a problem with clubs that secure debt . . . in order to compete at a higher level than their resources would allow”. Hear that? It was about debt. Not expenditure, not curtailing the excesses of those clubs who are suddenly bought by a wealthy individual with the resources to spend beyond their wildest dreams. It was an initiative reinforced by Uefa’s discomfort at that year’s Champions League final, which was contested between Chelsea (£736 million in debt) and Manchester United (£764 million in debt).

Funnily enough, “financial fair play” ended up being something completely different. By the time it began to crystalise, Europe’s most powerful clubs — United, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and others — had pointed out to Uefa that debt was not the problem. The problem was those clubs such as Manchester City, who were intent on challenging and upsetting European football’s established order."
Old 22-11-2011, 18:06   #132
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,082 Posts
That must really make you so proud.
Old 22-11-2011, 18:28   #133
Eastlander
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYankee View Post
That must really make you so proud.
It does yeah.

Must you troll this thread constantly? Surely you must be boring yourself by now?
Old 22-11-2011, 19:10   #134
Rob
Indie Author

Interesting line up for tonight. Don't know whether injuries are a factor but Dzeko & Balotelli play, with Aguero on the bench and Barry is also on the bench.

Looking forward to a cracking game.
Old 22-11-2011, 19:10   #135
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastlander View Post
IF UEFA ever try to impose serious sanctions (which they won't) they will be sued and they will lose. Which they already know. Hence Platini asking for judicial protection for the EC "otherwise it is going to be difficult".
Interesting theory but why would they lose. If everybody else is currently "cutting their cloth" to fit in with the rules everybody was told to abide by and Man City are allowed to get away with it ... who do you think UEFA has the best chance against ? Man City or "everyone else" ?

There is nothing to stop UEFA putting "adherence to FFP rules" as a prerequisite for entance to their competitions and there would be nothing that any team could do about it. If there was, you could have the 5th place team in the Premier League suing them for not being allowed into the competition.
Old 22-11-2011, 19:30   #136
Pisces Iscariot
The Pumpkin Smasher

Now that City have a couple of wins to settle the Champions league nerves I fully expect you to win by a couple tonight.
Old 22-11-2011, 19:31   #137
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces Iscariot View Post
Now that City have a couple of wins to settle the Champions league nerves I fully expect you to win by a couple tonight.
I wish I had your Confidence PI
Old 22-11-2011, 20:34   #138
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,314 Times in 926 Posts
Surely teams would break away to their own competitions like they were doing before, then uefa would be screwed
Old 22-11-2011, 21:43   #139
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
Surely teams would break away to their own competitions
Not sure that the Europa league qualifies.

Such a brave effort from the billionaires. Such a pity. I wonder just how much money it will eventually take.
Old 22-11-2011, 21:45   #140
Rob
Indie Author

Despite the result, I enjoyed that. You can't really argue that Napoli have played very well against us over the 2 matches and deserve their edge in their group.

We didn't play that badly either, apart from going to sleep for about 10 minutes after half time. Don't understand why mancini didn't bring Aguero & Johnson on after about 60 minutes, but Ihe can't get it right every time!

Only mathematics can save us now, but unfortunately we're relying on Villareal and not Einstein.