Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 18-11-2011, 15:43   #21
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by campdave View Post
I'm more interested in your usual "this is all normal it's what all the other clubs do", Man City are great for football twaddle.
I see, you have not heard enough and want me to continue with my 'Twaddle' or did you want to write some of your own 'Twaddle' in this thread. You know we don't see eye to eye on what City are but you still want to engage with me on a regular basis. campdave, let it go!!! No amount of discussion on this thread will change the fact that football is now big business and has been for many a year.

United were bankrolled in the late 80's under Fergie, City have that privilege now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernster View Post
Out of our next three games, I will be happy with four points. But we'll still be in a healthy league position if we lose all three.
I hope you boys get 6 points over the next few games. City are playing a lot of big teams over the next few weeks so it will be interesting to see how what team the boss puts out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYankee View Post
That's a rhetorical question by the way.
Love You DY

PS campdave I know that you can read the full 50 page report if you click the following link:

http://content.mcfc.co.uk/files/2011...eport_2011.pdf

Last edited by Citysmith; 18-11-2011 at 15:51.
Old 18-11-2011, 17:01   #22
MaxNutter

Thanked 1,025 Times in 596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citysmith View Post
United were bankrolled in the late 80's under Fergie, City have that privilege now
never beyond the turnover over of the club though...
Old 18-11-2011, 17:22   #23
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
never beyond the turnover over of the club though...

Hang on a minute, are you being serious
Old 18-11-2011, 17:29   #24
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,082 Posts
Quit trying to equate this charade with any other club in the uk, it won't wash. The facts are inescapable. Annual losses which massively exceed annual income have no precedent. The rest of football can only hope that the club is brought to book, but given the corruption at the top of the game it is an unlikely scenario. Whatever happens, any success will be meaningless.
Old 18-11-2011, 17:35   #25
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
Whatever happens, any success will be meaningless.
I can't speak for you DY so I won't try, but for me it will be in the famous words of Tony Tiger it will be GRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!!!!!!

Last edited by Citysmith; 18-11-2011 at 17:35.
Old 18-11-2011, 18:01   #26
MaxNutter

Quote:

Hang on a minute, are you being serious
go on then, you seem to have all facts and figures.

how was Fergie bankrolled to a similar % extent in the late 1980s as that is going on at City now?
Old 18-11-2011, 20:02   #27
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
go on then, you seem to have all facts and figures.

how was Fergie bankrolled to a similar % extent in the late 1980s as that is going on at City now?
Will respnd to that one in depth,but am on the minutes at the mo, but love how you have tried to move the goal posts to cover as many bases as possible

You've gone from:-

Quote:
never beyond the turnover over of the club
to

Quote:
No it was not to the extent of City at the mo, but the way money has been sucked up to the top of the football pyramid it never needed to be. Was it beyond the turnover of the club. Yes, it was indeed. There is an article here written about Manchester United a few years ago, but it covers the spending of Fergie before the Premiership money kicked in, under the stewardship of the man who had very interesting toilet habits

http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/mike.cox/PSY1011/case4.pdf
Old 18-11-2011, 22:08   #28
MaxNutter

I must be being a bit dim, but that looks like the only season mentioned with any overspend may have been 89-90, and there are no figures for that one?

Edwards was many things, but at least he never abused cancer sufferers.

Last edited by MaxNutter; 18-11-2011 at 22:08.
Old 18-11-2011, 22:19   #29
DeadYankee

Yeah, but football has been about abusing cancer sufferers for years now. It's the way the game has gone. You just have to accept it, or really you should embrace it and, if possible, convince everyone else how normal, great and beneficial it is.
Old 19-11-2011, 12:07   #30
d2000s
Trusted User

Nice to see city thread hasn't really changed

Non-city fan: "Citysmith, what do you think of x? I think this is bad because.......... "
Citysmith:"i think x is great, here's an article (post link) ,not written by me, that states my EXACT opinion on x"
Non-city fan:"But Citysmith, this article has numerous ommissions and doesn't really answer my points, why do YOU think x is great?"
Citysmith:"that article was good, but further to that you should read (post link). Again, i didn't write it, but it states my EXACT opinion on x."

..... you may as well type your questions to Mr Smith into google, you'll get the same type of response :-)
Old 19-11-2011, 15:09   #31
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s View Post

..... you may as well type your questions to Mr Smith into google, you'll get the same type of response :-)
What exactly do you expect him to say? He's defending his team - there's enough people on here whinging and moaning about everything to do with the club, so why shouldn't us City fans provide an opposite view.

We're not fools, we know we got lucky; we know we wouldn't be challenging for titles if it weren't for the cash injection. But there's enough to admire in what Mancini has achieved, the quality of just about every player he has brought in, the efforts the club are going to off the field.

All views are welcome on here, but if you don't like the answers, you know where the door is.
Old 19-11-2011, 19:21   #32
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
I must be being a bit dim, but that looks like the only season mentioned with any overspend may have been 89-90, and there are no figures for that one?

Edwards was many things, but at least he never abused cancer sufferers.
And the club duly got rid of him for his actions. United stuck with Edwards and his father before hand

Quote:

Non-city fan: "Citysmith, what do you think of x? I think this is bad because.......... "
Citysmith:"i think x is great, here's an article (post link) ,not written by me, that states my EXACT opinion on x"
Non-city fan:"But Citysmith, this article has numerous ommissions and doesn't really answer my points, why do YOU think x is great?"
Citysmith:"that article was good, but further to that you should read (post link). Again, i didn't write it, but it states my EXACT opinion on x."

You are right d2000s I never give my opinion on this thread

Back to what MN had to say, United went on a spending spree that was unprecedented in English football. The Edwards backed it, it was a gamble but paid off due to the invention of the Premiership and the ability of big clubs to hoover up money.

What you could ask yourself is why would a midtable club would have to spend the amount that City have just to compete with a top club.

After going to Arsenal last year and playing for a draw City by parking the bus City and their fans were lambasted on this very forum with comments like:-

Quote:
* Disgusting
* Ghastly
* A club with no tradition
* 9 oafs
* dull as **** to watch
* Cowards
* Sheffield United with a chequebook
* Fans that have sold our souls
* idiots
* a ******* pox on the league
* a bunch of frightened schoolgirls
Now City are playing with attacking flair and are a joy to watch none of those so quick to slate have come on here and said anything positive. Mancini can't do right in some peoples eyes

Great result today, thought the team played well and Silva mad an impact within seconds of coming on. Mad Mario was a star again

Other good news about the youth campus getting set up by the club

Man City out to create future stars at their Etihad Campus

The owners are truly in this for the long run

Last edited by Citysmith; 19-11-2011 at 19:25.
Old 19-11-2011, 19:33   #33
Eastlander
Trusted User

No idea how Citysmith can be bothered responding to the posters who persist in ruining this thread.

The bitterness in here is unbelievable. Now we know how the United fans felt all these years

Forza Mancini. Forza Man City.

Great times for us. Who cares what any one else thinks?
Old 19-11-2011, 20:11   #34
d2000s
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
What exactly do you expect him to say? He's defending his team - .
Kind of my point, he's not, he just posts links to other people who are defending his team.
Old 19-11-2011, 20:20   #35
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
Kind of my point, he's not, he just posts links to other people who are defending his team.
If you care to read through the Manchester City threads over the last few years the same ol', same ol' gets stated over and over again. It's sometimes easier to point to an article.

As I said last night I was on the minutes so instead of going into detail by myself I can take the easy way out and point to an article that is far better written than I could ever hope to achieve

I have pointed to different articles a few times, for you to suggest I do it all the time is a bit silly, as I said I urge you to read through the threads at the stuff I have posted

I have supported my local team my whole life and to stop because they are finally a force to ruffle the feathers of the SKY super 4 is again something I'm not going to do

Last edited by Citysmith; 19-11-2011 at 20:21.
Old 19-11-2011, 20:45   #36
d2000s
Trusted User

Quote:
If you care to read through the Manchester City threads over the last few years the same ol', same ol' gets stated over and over again. It's sometimes easier to point to an article.

As I said last night I was on the minutes so instead of going into detail by myself I can take the easy way out and point to an article that is far better written than I could ever hope to achieve

I have pointed to different articles a few times, for you to suggest I do it all the time is a bit silly, as I said I urge you to read through the threads at the stuff I have posted

I have supported my local team my whole life and to stop because they are finally a force to ruffle the feathers of the SKY super 4 is again something I'm not going to do
No problem with posting articles, but typically people would use them to reenforce their own points. You just post the article a lot of the time,adding very little yourself it seems to me. If you feel you have answered a question before yourself, I would suggest you go back and quote your first response.

Dont think I have ever seen someone tell you to stop supporting your team, yet you keep suggesting we are.
Old 19-11-2011, 20:53   #37
DeadYankee

Quote:

Dont think I have ever seen someone tell you to stop supporting your team, yet you keep suggesting we are.
Exactly, just a public recognition of the grotesque charade the club has become, heralding the death of football as a legitimate sport would be sufficient.
Old 19-11-2011, 21:00   #38
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
No problem with posting articles, but typically people would use them to reenforce their own points. You just post the article a lot of the time,adding very little yourself it seems to me. If you feel you have answered a question before yourself, I would suggest you go back and quote your first response.

Thank you for the helpful advice, will bear it in mind when I post. Again I urge you to have a look through the threads since the takeover.

Quote:
Exactly, just a public recognition of the grotesque charade the club has become, heralding the death of football as a legitimate sport would be sufficient.
Not sure what you are getting at DY.Do you care to expand on your point
Old 19-11-2011, 21:11   #39
DeadYankee

It is perfectly clear as it stands.
Old 19-11-2011, 21:14   #40
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
It is perfectly clear as it stands.
I was more interested in how City died as a club but the rest of football hasn't become a business