Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 24-11-2011, 13:46   #201
d2000s
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s View Post
Were there any £100k a week players in the premier league before Chelsea? Were there any £200k players before Man City?
Coveniently ignored
Old 24-11-2011, 13:47   #202
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
So, to be clear, in your opinion man city, and chelsea before them, have had no effect on salary and transfer fee inflation in the premier league??
Of course they have. But at the same time, are you saying that the spending of any top club in the last 20, 30, 40 years hasn't?
Old 24-11-2011, 13:55   #203
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Absolute rubbish, spending on stadiums, youth facilities etc are excluded from the equation. Its designed to let billionaire owners improve a club from the bottom up.... the right way.
No good if you want instant, hollow success though i suppose.
Taking a comment out of context and quoting on it. classy!.

A new buyer for a club cannot come in and spend on a squad to gain success, and as that daily mail ( dear god im quoting the mail... *shudder*) said, you can spend as much as you want on the best youth academy in the world, develop the best talent you can, if you dont have success you wont be able to keep those players, they will go to clubs with success.

The only way you could keep them is to pay them large sums on money. which again you cant do without success in the 1st place. I mean Wigan could build a 100k seater stadium, that would be fair under FFPR but it wouldn't help as they cant fill there current 20k odd thousand seater staduim.

It will take alot of luck to develop a successful squad while being self sufficient.

City have spent on the squad to make it successfull to allow us to attract the youth players to the academy, all future success will be based on that rather than input to the squad, we may buy marquee players but a fair amount of the squad will be in house from now.

Also, to address your comment yesterday about me fooling myself if I think City's massive spending days are over. I based my comment on

a) We have a decent squad now
b) We have 4-5 world class youth players on the verge of breaking into the 1st team, and a younger generation developing as we speak to come in in a few years.
c) In a few years time we have one of the worlds best academies.
d) City upper management have said the massive spending spree's are over.

What were you basing your opinion on other than what seems to be hatred for City?

Last edited by Grunge; 24-11-2011 at 13:55.
Old 24-11-2011, 13:59   #204
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Coveniently ignored
Ah go on then, i'll bite.

http://www.orange.co.uk/sport/football/1574.htm

Quote:
the first player to break the six-figure mark in British football was Sol Campbell when he left Tottenham for Arsenal in 2001.
A few years before Chelsea were bought out by Abramovitch.

you really should actually research before throwing down the gauntlet.

Last edited by Grunge; 24-11-2011 at 13:59.
Old 24-11-2011, 13:59   #205
MaxNutter

Thanked 1,025 Times in 596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Of course they have. But at the same time, are you saying that the spending of any top club in the last 20, 30, 40 years hasn't?
it has, but I think Chelsea and City have caused an accelerated rise, a 'Real Madrid effect', if you will.

it's part of why City are, by the very way they are operating, making it worse, not alleviating the problems. I'm not saying they shouldn't do what they are doing; they have every right, lets just not paint them as some sort of 'White Knight', vanquishing the evil, old order...
Old 24-11-2011, 14:04   #206
MaxNutter

Thanked 1,025 Times in 596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunge View Post
Also, to address your comment yesterday about me fooling myself if I think City's massive spending days are over.
possibly. I guess we'll just have to wait and see on that one.
Old 24-11-2011, 14:05   #207
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,082 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, Spurs wouldn't pay his wages, but Arsenal had every right to pay those wages as they generated the means to do so - they did not post losses in excess of their entire income for example. Also, there's no comparison between the wages City are paying now and those paid by Arsenal then or now so I fail to see your point. It may give you some crumb of comfort and lead you to blindly accept that what your club is doing is just normal but that just goes to prove my point about 1945.

Last edited by DeadYankee; 24-11-2011 at 14:06.
Old 24-11-2011, 14:06   #208
campdave
Trusted User

Quote:
I thought this was a bad thing that stopped the mid-level clubs competing though?
Old 24-11-2011, 14:09   #209
DeadYankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by campdave View Post
I thought this was a bad thing that stopped the mid-level clubs competing though?
Oh, don’t be naive – this is the C21st! What needs to happen is that every club should pay players £300,000 per week and then it would be a level playing field again. That will be really positive for the game and in no way a grotesque charade.
Old 24-11-2011, 14:14   #210
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
it has, but I think Chelsea and City have caused an accelerated rise, a 'Real Madrid effect', if you will.

it's part of why City are, by the very way they are operating, making it worse, not alleviating the problems. I'm not saying they shouldn't do what they are doing; they have every right, lets just not paint them as some sort of 'White Knight', vanquishing the evil, old order...
I cant really disagree with any of this.

I do think there is a perceived inflation greater than what there actually is with regards to Man City though, We have spent a lot there is no doubt, we have over paid for players but we have not gone "insane" with it, the highest we have paid is £38m which is now getting to be quite average for top players. Clubs say they want 50m for a player because they know we can afford it, we dont pay it though.

The likes of Chelsea paying 50m for Torres and Real Madrid paying 80m for Ronaldo is where the real inflation is coming from as they are actually setting the precedence for those prices.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the other 3 mega rich clubs out there now. if they will pay the figures requested.

Last edited by Grunge; 24-11-2011 at 14:31.
Old 24-11-2011, 14:17   #211
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
possibly. I guess we'll just have to wait and see on that one.
Yep, To be honest im really hoping we are past those days, buying in large quantities of players is more of a hindrance to the team in the short term than it is a gain as its more players to gel.

If we spend I hope its just a marquee player every year or 2.
Old 24-11-2011, 14:30   #212
campdave
Trusted User

Quote:
the highest we have paid is £35m which is now getting to be quite average.
There have only ever been 12 transfers higher than this - I would definitely not call that average.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfe...9#Highest_fees
Old 24-11-2011, 14:30   #213
Snoopy
PSN: Nevyn1968

Quote:
You are in no position to talk about morality.

You have compared City to a "cancer" on more than one occasion and this week seem to have taken the outrageous tack of bringing the Holocaust into the equation.

Normally I have no time for your views but it's about time that somebody pointed that you're treading a thin line here. I wonder whether you are like this in real life or do you see the internet as some form of security where you are free to air your offensive views?

It's only football for God's sake.
I would say that the Sky TV and Champions League money is the cancer in the game. What's happening at Man City just is a sympton of that.

Football is big busniess whether we like it or not. Therefore it's going to attract investors who want to make money out of it. The way some do that is invest heavily for a short period and run at a significant lose but have a medium term target to break even and longer term to make a profit. That's essentially how Sky developed, huge investment up front and run at a lose for a few years before breaking even at eventually making a profit. It's a business model that has worked many times.

Whilst the money has improved the quality of the football in the premier league by bringing in some world class players but it has done so at a cost to the national game as more cheaper foreign players are bought in giving less chances to promising young English players.
Old 24-11-2011, 14:31   #214
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYankee View Post
Yeah, Spurs wouldn't pay his wages, but Arsenal had every right to pay those wages as they generated the means to do so - they did not post losses in excess of their entire income for example. Also, there's no comparison between the wages City are paying now and those paid by Arsenal then or now so I fail to see your point. It may give you some crumb of comfort and lead you to blindly accept that what your club is doing is just normal but that just goes to prove my point about 1945.
Of course Arsenal had the funds the were part of the elite group of clubs that have benefited from the rigged system of the Premiership and CL. The gap will get wider I believe due to the teams at the top with already the best players get more money to buy even better players, meaning that they finish higher up the league and further in the CL, gaining even more money to buy even better players etc...... etc..... and the beat goes on

DY Haters gonna Hate
Old 24-11-2011, 14:32   #215
Lee Brown
The Kraken Awakes!

Quote:
Ah go on then, i'll bite.

http://www.orange.co.uk/sport/football/1574.htm

A few years before Chelsea were bought out by Abramovitch.

Except Campbell was on a free, and his 'salary' was in reality a signing on bonus spread out over the course of his contract.
Old 24-11-2011, 14:33   #216
campdave
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citysmith View Post
Of course Arsenal had the funds the were part of the elite group of clubs that have benefited from the rigged system of the Premiership and CL. The gap will get wider I believe due to the teams at the top with already the best players get more money to buy even better players, meaning that they finish higher up the league and further in the CL, gaining even more money to buy even better players etc...... etc..... and the beat goes on
With City part of this cartel, is it good for football?
Old 24-11-2011, 14:33   #217
DeadYankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goebbels
And, I repeat, the logical endpoint of your final solution to this problem is for every club to invest breathtaking riches into being able to "compete"? Or is this 'establishment' all now hunky dory as your 3rd rate club has bought its way to (extremely limited) success?

Last edited by DeadYankee; 24-11-2011 at 14:34.
Old 24-11-2011, 14:36   #218
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
There have only ever been 12 transfers higher than this - I would definitely not call that average.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfe...9#Highest_fees
Maybe it wasn't the best worded on my part,

For a player ranked in the top 10 in the world, 35m ( maybe 38m? ) for Aguero is now average.

Liverpool paying £35m for Carol probably did more damage to inflation of players transfers than City have done.

If there was an inflation point caused by City it was the 100m offer for Kaka.. and those days are long gone.

Edit: looking at that link, I didn't realise just how many massive transfer fee's were paid in the early 2000's

Last edited by Grunge; 24-11-2011 at 14:41.
Old 24-11-2011, 14:37   #219
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
With City part of this cartel, is it good for football?
Ask Gary Neville. As I said before, we are not going to agree on this point, I have stated my opinion. City have shown that every club can have it's day, which I thought was no longer going to be a possibility. Onwards and upwards with City and the Shiekh. Enjoy it while it lasts it may be QPR next time and good luck to then if it is.
Old 24-11-2011, 14:39   #220
campdave
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citysmith View Post
Ask Gary Neville.
No, I'm asking you.

Last edited by campdave; 24-11-2011 at 14:40.
Closed Thread