Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 24-07-2009, 12:02   #1061
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter UK View Post
Are you really arguing with me that a majority of Gooners haven't looked at Adebarndoor/ Greedybayour/ Arabspaymore (my favourite)/ Lazybayour etc with anything other than scorn and revisionism for the past year?
I'm saying that there were many, many fans who supported him & he, like you, totally ignore them. If it makes you happy to constantly slag us off then so be it, but don't expect me to be happy about it.
Old 24-07-2009, 12:14   #1062
Guest 7237
Trusted User

Do you not understand 'majority', 'most', 'those fans who'?

Fair play to you if you were outside of this but, in my opinion, I would never quantify them as 'many, many'.

You've read my perception that a majority of Arsenal fans were being, at best, grossly unfair with Ade for the last year; if you disagree with that then fine but I'm not going to shut up when I think those fans around me are being scapegoating *******.

I've never accused you of this and in fact can see your immediate post-Summer views on Ade right after the post I linked to below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerl100 View Post
And Pete, thought you found the Greedybayor song amusing when they first sang it.
Aye I did because it was funny. He got his contract but sadly 'they' didn't forget as easily as they did for a long long looong line of Arsenal players; the most recent of which includes Arshavin.

Last edited by Peter UK; 24-07-2009 at 12:19.
Old 24-07-2009, 12:33   #1063
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

Quote:
Fair play to you if you were outside of this but, in my opinion, I would never quantify them as 'many, many'.

You've read my perception that a majority of Arsenal fans were being, at best, grossly unfair with Ade for the last year; if you disagree with that then fine but I'm not going to shut up when I think those fans around me are being scapegoating *******.
We all know that the "majority" at the Emirates stay silent!
I don't know where you sit, but there were plenty around me being supportive of him. Anyway, he's gone now, so onwards & upwards.
Old 24-07-2009, 13:14   #1064
Guest 7237
Trusted User

(Hopefully) upwards eh?

Seems to have quitened down on the transfer in rumours - not sure whether that's a good or bad sign.

I'm pretty happy with the squad as it is but have doubts about whether one or two of the young players are capable of playing every single week namely, Song, Denilson & Bendtner. All three have played very well when called upon imo but is Nicholas ready for 90 mins every week alongside RvP? Denilson's shown he is but can Song step in for an extended period of time?

As it stands it looks like we might find out soon.
Old 24-07-2009, 15:54   #1065
jerl100
xbl/psn: khasar

Song was absolutely awesome at the end of last season. Just remains to be seen whether he can continue that run.

Denilson was awesome, too.

Hopefully, week in week out one of them will be playing well. Just a question of whether Fabregas would perform better if it's the same person each week as you will develop a better understanding with each other. In that case, I don't believe that either of them will necessarily maintain form for the entire season, but that'll be true of the entire team.

And I forgot about Diaby. So him, too. Needs a decent run somewhere to get back to the form he was in before having his leg broken. Saw flashes of it last season, which was nice.

I'm more worried/uncertain about what'll happen in the centre of defence than midfield. It'll be interesting to see who the first choice pairing are, and how the others react to this. We have Toure, Gallas, Vermaelen, Swiss Tony & Djourou. And then Sylvester and Song who can both play there.

Anyone happen to know whether Song has always appeared on the club website as a defender, or whether that's a recent change?
Old 24-07-2009, 16:03   #1066
jerl100
xbl/psn: khasar

Quote:
I've never accused you of this and in fact can see your immediate post-Summer views on Ade right after the post I linked to below.
I think Ralph's views there were spot on and pretty much describe what happened. His heart wasn't fully in it and he was jumped on. If he'd had a slightly better start to the season, that may not happened, he'd have then had a better season (yes, the stats do show he had a good season, i mean in the eyes of 'them'), we'd have finished above 4th and he'd still be with us now. But them's the breaks.

As Ralph says, onwards and upwards. I think the start of the season will be key. City may be most likely to break into the top 4 on paper, but they've bought most of a new team and they will take a while to gel. If we can be well clear of then a few months in, we should be fine. Remains to be seen whether Sparky is the man for the job.
Old 26-07-2009, 08:25   #1067
Guest 20043
Trusted User

whats Diaby natural position ??

if i read it right he forgo his summer holidays to train and get him self ready for the new season.
Old 26-07-2009, 08:48   #1068
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealnils View Post
whats Diaby natural position ??

Probably like most of our players, behind the front man Definitely not a defensive midfielder though.
Old 26-07-2009, 10:00   #1069
escape_adil5
So fresh, So clean

Paper talk of you guys looking to sign Cattermole, personally I think he's outstanding. The sort of player Arsenal need in the squad. Sign him and Huntelaar and I reckon you guys can challenge for some trophies...

Not sure you guys need Solomon ain't-got-a-kaloo though. He's talented but you have better attacking players than him.
Old 26-07-2009, 10:36   #1070
Guest 20043
Trusted User

dont think we have the money for huntelaar
Old 26-07-2009, 10:46   #1071
escape_adil5
So fresh, So clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealnils View Post
dont think we have the money for huntelaar
Surely you guys can muster up £15-20m? Probably not enough money for both Huntelaar and Cattermole from the Ade cash though. Cattermole would be about £10m according to the papers, and I'd agree with that.
Old 26-07-2009, 10:59   #1072
Guest 7237
Trusted User

I think the most Wenger likes to pay for a player is £15million (as shown by recent transfers) - which rules out most of the top names in football currently. But I think that sometimes gets confused with the club being skint as oppossed to the club not willing to exceed what the manager thinks is a fair price.

Having said that I'd be staggered if Catermole was brought in, for any price.

The most Arse-reliable of rag reporters Steve Stammmmmmers reckons Eduardo's recent form has convinced Wenger not to bring in another striker (would also help to explain Ade's leaving timing) and that Toure to City is almost done.

If Arsenal can get anywhere near £12 or so million for him then grab it with both hands imo....

Last edited by Peter UK; 26-07-2009 at 10:59.
Old 26-07-2009, 11:53   #1073
Toge
North London is red

Nooo!! Toure!? wth
Old 26-07-2009, 17:01   #1074
Guest 24656
Banned

Location: Back Home In God's Own County Of Yorkshire, so the yokels tell me any way
If Toure does go it will turn Willy into an even bigger knob than he is

But I can see the logic that with Vermicelli coming in and Swiss Tone coming back, we can afford to get rid of one CB, I just wished it was Silvestre but I guess he's the most happy to sit on the bench and see out his remaining year.

I still think Wenger has Chaka Demus lined up to replace Ade, he's just waiting on Bordeaux to sign his reaplcement, don't need to worry about Sunderland catching him, but would love Wenger to pull Huntelaar out of the bag.

One thing I could start to worry about, is if we lose Eboue (£8m to Juve, reportedly), granted he's not a vital player but that would mean the possibility of losing 3 first teamers in one summer, a prospect I do not enjoy.
Old 26-07-2009, 17:36   #1075
Guest 20043
Trusted User

whats wrong with gallas ??

him and toure have never worked and hes looked the better defender ince he has come through........

Still toure is last of the old school

I'd not be happy to see Eboue go.
Old 26-07-2009, 18:34   #1076
Guest 24656
Banned

Location: Back Home In God's Own County Of Yorkshire, so the yokels tell me any way
As a player, nothing wrong with Gallas I think him and Verm will be the starting two next season, just something about his attitude still doesn't sit right with me.

On a more positve note, nice to see Clichy come out with daggers for Ade over his move to Citeh
Old 26-07-2009, 18:52   #1077
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

Another one here who wouldn't like to lose Eboue. As I said before, he's good cover for Sagna (who was poor last season) & Feo.
Old 26-07-2009, 19:10   #1078
Guest 7237
Trusted User

The transfer request Toure handed in earlier this year would suggest Toure's not such an effervescent character as we all believed though.

We knew he wasn't the best aerially, in fact for a CB he was downright abysmal, but he made up for it with other parts of his game; Silvestre comes in and Wenger makes it clear that Gallas is going nowhere and rather than try to up his game, try and improve on his weakness he just thinks '**** it, another club can come in and get me on the cheap'*

A very poor showing from him and in my opinion he's been average since he picked up Malaria, which I'm told is an absolute bitch for a pro footballer to get as it's always with you.

Gallas, Verwhatsit, Djourou & Silvestre for this season imo.

*assuming there wasn't much much more to that thing with Gallas

--

[shakedhead]Spurs[/shakehead]
Dodgy 'arry: Spurs fans will love Vieira as we'll have got one over on Arsenal. Taken one of their legends. Will pay them back for Sol.
Their captain: Arsenal are weak and we're going to take their place

When will they learn/ stop obsessing??

Last edited by Peter UK; 26-07-2009 at 19:16.
Old 27-07-2009, 08:38   #1079
Guest 24656
Banned

What about Swiss Tone Pete?
Old 27-07-2009, 08:54   #1080
Guest 7237
Trusted User

I'm guessing he's all but gone no? Would really like him to stay though as he's a good player right now and has a chance, and perhaps the ability, to become a very good one.

Despite my protestations at not ever never reading Arseblog I couldn't stop myself from clicking through on the Newsnow header this morning - conspiracy theories abound....
Closed Thread