Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 14-07-2009, 08:36   #921
Guest 24656
Banned

Location: Back Home In God's Own County Of Yorkshire, so the yokels tell me any way
To be honest I think we missed the boat with Owen, a proven goal scorer, yes injury prone, but on a pay as you play contract he could have done us a job if he played 20 games a season.

I am now accepted of the fact we will never be big spenders, I just hope we can stay competitive and its no longer embarrassing to watch us slip further and further away from contention
Old 14-07-2009, 10:17   #922
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

Oh yee of little faith
We'll be challenging for the Premiership title this season
Old 14-07-2009, 10:57   #923
Guest 7237
Trusted User

Jesus wept, can’t wait to get rid of Ade and now there’s a real possibility of it you are all sitting around feeling sorry for yourselves

Ade’s a good player; (easily) one of the best in the league when he’s on his game.

Last summer turned even more fans ‘against’ him; even though he didn’t really say owt and he’s been hung drawn and quartered for a fraction of what Cesc has reportedly said this summer about Barca and co.

Unfortunately that season followed one where the team as a whole underperformed - I think that second CL semi final was the final straw for a lot of fans since he admitted his performance in the first was not up to scratch and was going to do better in the second. Which he didn’t.

Y’all know my thoughts on young Nic-o-las but I’m not sure he’s ready to be a premier league player every single week yet. No doubt when Ade bangs in 20 goals for City next season those who couldn’t wait to see the back of him will have Wenger’s head on a stick, ‘why did he sell him to a Top 4 rival’....

Oh and just to add:

Goals per games started ..

Last season -

Torres - .56
Ade - .52
Rooney - .45
Berbatov - .39
Tevez - .44
Anelka - .54
Drogba - .48

Season before -

Torres - .75
Ade - .73
Rooney - .47
Berbatov - .52
Tevez - .51
Anelka - .39
Drogba - .50

Courtesy of AWIMB.

---

Edit: Hughes confirms Arsenal talks. [/shakeshead] Well 'they' have shoved another one out the door and with Hleb, Flamini & Diarra all going it definitely sends out the wrong message....

Last edited by Peter UK; 14-07-2009 at 15:26.
Old 14-07-2009, 16:13   #924
Guest 4140
Trusted User

Not sure that offloading lazy troublemaking mercenaries like Adebarndoor is the wrong message. Yes he can play but it's only when he feels like it.

It's probably only me but with all this Vieira for Spurs talk, does anyone think PV4 could do a job as a holding midfielder for us for a couple of years? Doesn't matter too much if his legs aren't so good any more. Great tackler, reads the game, wise old head to lead the young ones etc etc

Last edited by rgfinch; 14-07-2009 at 16:13.
Old 14-07-2009, 17:15   #925
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter UK View Post
Well 'they' have shoved another one out the door and with Hleb, Flamini & Diarra all going it definitely sends out the wrong message....
I was just waiting for you to trot that one out!
Old 14-07-2009, 17:16   #926
shand754
Gamertag - Shanduk

Personally I have mixed feelings. Adebeyor had one good season, thought it made him a star and did not bother last season. So on that basis selling him for £25 million is good business if the money goes into the team. On the over hand if he goes to City and is up for it next season and replicates his 07/08 form its going to be hard to take.

Looks like Bordeaux forward Marouane Chamakh is being lined up a replacment though.
Old 14-07-2009, 17:19   #927
Guest 7237
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
Trot which one out?
Old 14-07-2009, 17:22   #928
DavidHasslehoff
Don't Hassle the Hoff!

Quote:
You have to admit that he's right though. And with next season now having a genuine contender to the established top 4, it's abosulely imperative that Arsenal react - because whoever drops out of the top 4 is going to find it very hard to get back in.

It's looking like it will cost Many City £300million (approx) by the time you add in wages and potential signings of Terry and Adebayor. And it would potentially cost any other Premiership team a similar amount.

If I was David Dean, I'd consider it worth borrowing £100million-£150million to ensure it wasn't Arsenal that got shunted. After all £100m is only about 3 seasons CL money.
Old 14-07-2009, 17:43   #929
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

Quote:
Well 'they' have shoved another one out the door
Quote:
Trot which one out?
Who are 'they'? & how have 'they' shoved him out the door?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHasslehoff View Post
If I was David Dean, I'd consider it worth borrowing £100million-£150million to ensure it wasn't Arsenal that got shunted. After all £100m is only about 3 seasons CL money.
David Dein doesn't have anything to do with Arsenal anymore.

FWIW, I've already said that Ade will do well for whomever he signs, so I don't think that we should sell to another English club. I suppose the trouble is, no other cllub would match the ludicrous wages City are (supposedly) offering.
Old 14-07-2009, 18:02   #930
goonerforever
Trusted User

This is almost as good as the catalogue!

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/...-200907141901/

Old 14-07-2009, 19:36   #931
arrowst
the magic faraway tree

Quote:
Are you Peter Ridsdale?
Old 14-07-2009, 20:41   #932
DavidHasslehoff
Don't Hassle the Hoff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowst View Post
Are you Peter Ridsdale?
I take your point, but you already have a far more solid financial base than Leeds had, plus a 60,000+ seater stadium which they didn't have.

If the Arsenal board really think that fighting to stay in the CL is just too risky financially, then maybe the best play is to let the likes of Adebayor, Fabregas, and Van Persie go, so as to proactively reduce the wage bill now and then put the cash in the coffers for a future assault.

For me though, I think plan A would be a far better bet.
Old 14-07-2009, 20:55   #933
arrowst
the magic faraway tree

Quote:
I take your point, but you already have a far more solid financial base than Leeds had, plus a 60,000+ seater stadium which they didn't have.

If the Arsenal board really think that fighting to stay in the CL is just too risky financially, then maybe the best play is to let the likes of Adebayor, Fabregas, and Van Persie go, so as to proactively reduce the wage bill now and then put the cash in the coffers for a future assault.

For me though, I think plan A would be a far better bet.
Firstly, I'm not an Arsenal fan (Stoke) but I don't let it stop me posting in their thread

Leeds had a solid financial basis and a 40,000 seater stadium filled by loyal fans before they gambled on getting in, and staying in the champions league. There is no guarantee that spending £100-150m will get you in the top four, and if I was a Gooner, I wouldn't want anyone to be playing russian roulette with my club.

Arsenal are well managed enough to survive missing out on the Champions League, and still keep their best players in the short-term. In the long-term there's a good chance the clubs who don't rely on sugar daddys and servicing an unimaginable amount of debt to survive, will probably prosper.
Old 14-07-2009, 20:56   #934
jerl100
xbl/psn: khasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonerforever View Post
This is almost as good as the catalogue!

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/...-200907141901/

and Tomas Rosicky
Old 15-07-2009, 07:42   #935
Guest 20043
Trusted User

whats the fee on Ade then ?? 22 seems a bit low with it being city
Old 15-07-2009, 07:47   #936
Guest 24656
Banned

Location: Back Home In God's Own County Of Yorkshire, so the yokels tell me any way
£25m, add in maybe £5m for Senderos, take away the £10m we have spent on Vermicelli it only leaves us £20m to but a new Striker and DM

Hopefully Wenger does have some form of a pot of gold this season
Old 15-07-2009, 08:24   #937
Guest 7237
Trusted User

Quote:
Who are 'they'? & how have 'they' shoved him out the door?
The same self-destructive force that has destroyed Eboue, almost destroyed Song, ruined Senderos, laughed at Bendtner, hounded out Gallas and didn't care for Hleb nor Flamini nor Adebayor nor Silvestre.

That's almost a whole outfield team right there.

'Strength in depth' I hear them cry.

It DOES send out the wrong message because whereas before Henry, Pires, Vieira, Gils and all those that went out the door before them had had their best years here, recent departures have them in front of them and indeed have gone on to bigger and/or richer places.

At the current sugar daddy cash rich time when the Arsenal have no right to compete at the top Wenger's trying to build club loyalty into his band of foreigners and those actively campaigning to show the door to big important experienced players like Gallas & Ade and Hleb and inexperienced young talented ones like Bendner and Song are fools.

--

So, anyone going to Barnet then?

Last edited by Peter UK; 15-07-2009 at 08:38.
Old 15-07-2009, 08:47   #938
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
At the current sugar daddy cash rich time when the Arsenal have no right to compete at the top Wenger's trying to build club loyalty into his band of foreigners and those actively campaigning to show the door to big important experienced players like Gallas & Ade and Hleb and inexperienced young talented ones like Bendner and Song are fools.

--

So, anyone going to Barnet then?
Arsenal are the one team in the Premiership who have been punching above their weight for years.

By saying this I mean that due to the genius of Wenger Arsenal have been able to stay in the top 4 despite the lack of investment in the team. Money has been spent on the stadium (and in the Wenger way, buying unknowns on the whole and turning them into superstars)

With Manchester City now able to buy who ever wants to arrive in Manchester, Arsenal have to rise to that new challenge. I hope that Wenger is upto it (at the expense of 1 of the other 3 )

Just a quick question. Arsenal fans seem to have gone from the opinion of Wenger knows best to open critism on the terraces. Is this due to Wenger not winning trophies in the last few years, or is it a case of Jonny come lately turning up at the new stadium and expecting something that is impossible to deliver
Old 15-07-2009, 08:51   #939
ralph wiggum
Chamakh My Bitch Up.

And here was me thinking you were slagging the fans off yet again Peter Seriously, you seem to hate us more than that lot down the road do.

I'm not going to Barnet, I have subscribed to ATVO to watch it though.

Last edited by ralph wiggum; 15-07-2009 at 08:52.
Old 15-07-2009, 08:53   #940
Guest 7237
Trusted User

I wouldn't agree they've been punching above their weight as if you look at average attendences and gate receipts they are at the top with one or two others.

Add in gloobal fanbase and consistent European cup competition entries during Wenger's time then they are now a well established club albeit one a bit short of the Euro elite.

Wenger shouldn't be castigated for running a financially responsible club and have the 'punching above their weight' criticism levelled at him as it's incorrect.

Quote:
And here was me thinking you were slagging the fans off yet again Peter Seriously, you seem to hate us more than that lot down the road do.
'Those' not 'all'

'They' do not deserve any kind of respect imo since it's behaviour we expect from those lot down the road not from a bunch of spoilt brats who boo Ade for being offside or Bendtner for only scoring one goal instead of two.

Boo hoo, we haven't won the league for a few years.

We only got to just the one Champions League final and the odd semi-final.

/Sitting in these comfy chairs in a new state of the art stadium watching a bunch of late teens early twentysomthings take the **** out of most teams already.

Let's spunk all that up the wall so we win a trophy right now, no matter what the future holds.

Last edited by Peter UK; 15-07-2009 at 09:00.
Closed Thread