Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 30-01-2009, 23:34   #201
pompeyfan
Built for comfort

You'll soon get used to Harry's transfer policy - for every good signing you'll get either a poor/indifferent one, an old/injury prone player who can't play a full 90 mins or every match, one that looks good but for some reason never gets picked and ends up in the reserves then turns out really good elsewhere or one that arrives with a good record elsewhere then fails miserably - normally if you're lucky you'll get 2 out of these for every good'un
Old 31-01-2009, 11:23   #202
nemo5000
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompeyfan View Post
You'll soon get used to Harry's transfer policy - for every good signing you'll get either a poor/indifferent one, an old/injury prone player who can't play a full 90 mins or every match, one that looks good but for some reason never gets picked and ends up in the reserves then turns out really good elsewhere or one that arrives with a good record elsewhere then fails miserably - normally if you're lucky you'll get 2 out of these for every good'un
That sounds preferable to the transfer policy we've had the last few years, and it didn't do Portsmouth any harm. Have they ever had better times than under harry?
Old 31-01-2009, 13:20   #203
pompeyfan
Built for comfort

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo5000 View Post
That sounds preferable to the transfer policy we've had the last few years, and it didn't do Portsmouth any harm. Have they ever had better times than under harry?
Nope, Harry did a fantastic job for us and it's been the best period at Portsmouth in my lifetime, but he has made some strange signings.
Old 31-01-2009, 16:49   #204
Pentasa
Originally joined Mar '01

**** Me another late goal
Old 31-01-2009, 17:00   #205
Guest 50309
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentasa View Post
**** Me another late goal
Sounds about right.

Bolton had 8 home goals all season and we give them 3.

Usual pre match stats sum it up :-

Spurs have never won at the Reebok and no goalless game between the 2 sides for 86 years.

One of these days we will actually go against form/stats but we are still majorly in the mire.
Old 31-01-2009, 17:02   #206
Guest 49794
XBL: kerzo84

Poor, very poor. Bolton won pretty much everything in the air in our box which led to their goals - we were only in it for about 10 minutes so a point would have been a great escape.
Old 31-01-2009, 17:11   #207
Guest 50309
Trusted User

What was the starting lineup ?.

Usually, if nothing else we have height in the back line, were they just **** ?.
Old 31-01-2009, 17:42   #208
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,082 Posts
I can see us going down now - I still think it may be a positive move if we did TBH

It is a bit like a horror film though. Day of the Triffics
Old 31-01-2009, 17:56   #209
carlmcg
Top of the Pops

Was at the game, I can't see Spurs going down myself. They didn't play well, I thought they were just disjointed, but there are certainly worse teams.

However, I was utterly stunned to hear Spurs fans singing "f all, you've never won...". Please tell me it was ironic or are they really that deluded?
Old 31-01-2009, 18:55   #210
Guest 48381
A man & a brother

very poor result, worrying times.

Hopefully Bent will be given a chance, played alongside Pav rather than instead of, and he'll do a job until Defoe is back.

Still can't believe Chimbonda came on for Corluka, what is going on ?
Old 31-01-2009, 19:08   #211
carlmcg
Top of the Pops

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminb View Post
very poor result, worrying times.

Hopefully Bent will be given a chance, played alongside Pav rather than instead of, and he'll do a job until Defoe is back.

Still can't believe Chimbonda came on for Corluka, what is going on ?
Both your goals come from the right where Chimbonda and Lennon were both attacking. Couldn't tell who put the balls across but Chimbonda certainly had a big effect on the game.
Old 31-01-2009, 21:42   #212
sharp_circle
Fantasist

I was also there, chimbonda had a great game and to be fair could have won man of the match. I still think Megson is a muppet, yet again we squander a 2 goal lead to be saved by the tower that is big Kev Davis. I halve hoped we'd lose to you guys so Gartside might grow some balls and sack him. That said the players do seem to love him - and I spose that's a big thing. I dunno - another midfielder to replace Nolan and a half decent striker and maybe we'll do ok. Tottenham won't go down, they have waaay too much class. They showed it for about 30 minutes then seemed to forget they we're in a relegation battle. They'll be ok though - I'm sure of it.
Old 31-01-2009, 22:51   #213
welshmatt
Rusted User

WTF was Bentley doing on the line to let the winner in
Old 01-02-2009, 00:08   #214
Guest 50309
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshmatt View Post
WTF was Bentley doing on the line to let the winner in
His usual complete lack of anything worthwhile.

Boltons first came from a debatable free kick and their winner came from a corner defended so poorly it would be laughable if it wasnt so serious.

Obviously only saw brief highlights but didnt see Cudicini actually make a save:maybe warming the bench for the majority of the last 5 years means he will take a while to get back to top form ?.

Dawson looked poor, especially from the corner that led to the winner, as a combination, he and Woodgate looked poor without King.

Sadly we cant even blame Bale this time.

Fingers crossed someone puts in an offer for Bentley and a few others.

Can anyone who saw more than the highlights give their impression of Palacios workrate in a Spurs shirt and whether his and Chimbondas workrate will continue past the first two weeks, once their feet are under the table ?.
Old 01-02-2009, 00:19   #215
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBoy View Post
Obviously only saw brief highlights but didnt see Cudicini actually make a save:maybe warming the bench for the majority of the last 5 years means he will take a while to get back to top form ?.
I've only seen the goals but when I saw the 3 we conceded I did wonder how many people/newspapers would find fault with Gomez if he were playing.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:11   #216
Guest 49794

Palacios was strong, enthusiastic and put himself about - not a great performance for a Ł14m player but it was solid enough. Chimbonda put in some good runs and crosses and was a vital part in both goals. He definitely gives us an option going forward from defence with runs rather than long speculative passes which resulted in more success. He was always a good player for us IMO but his head was never right so I was glad to get rid of him in that respect....hopefully he can accept that he isn't the only RB in the team.

We really don't get enough people in the box when attacking and automatically starting with Modric isn't something to do against big physical teams. Pav was having to do everything himself up front which isn't what he is best at, he had a couple of well struck long range shots but it will take something special to beat most Premiership keepers.

Cudicini looked solid IMO, I don't think he has been at fault for any of the goals conceded thus far and hasn't really had to make a save. He is doing all the other stuff well such as clearing the area which I sometimes get a little chill when Gomes attempts them! That said I still think Gomes should be first pick as he pulls off some wonder saves that we could be doing with.

It's the big one next week.....I wonder if we will have any more new (or older) faces in the team.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:29   #217
Guest 48381
A man & a brother

fair enough, I'm obviously pleased Chimbonda did well. He is not a superstar but his playing ability was never the question. Unlike Defoe, I just find it a baffling move to be bringing him back.

Anyhow, it's clear that King isn't up to it and should now be sold rather than wheeled out occasionally. Dawson can't cope against any forwards with a bit of brainpower and should not be our second choice cente back, perhaps Corluka can play there but I've not been convinced by him. And then there is still the elusive left back slot, BAE is a championship level player and Bale is clearly (if anything) a left winger rather than a defender.

But we don't seem to be being linked with defenders, it's still forwards who are often no better than those we have
Old 02-02-2009, 11:34   #218
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

So, Spurs fans thoughts on the return of Robbie Keane? Friday morning I'd have been 50-50 on it, but I think we're going to find out that Defoe is out longer than early reports have suggested & I think THFC have just tried to play it down until after the transfer window closes. With that in mind, I'm much much more favourable to him arriving.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't another playing joining too.

Oh and SSN suggest the FA/PL/UEFA are in talks to extend the deadline until midnight due to the weather.
Old 02-02-2009, 13:46   #219
Guest 49794

I really don't know what to think about it all to be honest. I don't know whether to be happy to get a hard working Spurs player or disappointed to know that it is likely he will only really link up with Pav therefore leaving Defoe in the wilderness again.

We can't become much more of a laughing stock can we?
Old 02-02-2009, 13:46   #220
londoner25uk
Trusted User

We have to think long term and it doesnt make any sense. They cant play together and therefore its a waste of money. Much rather we bought a more powerful player. Sad to see Dos Santos go as hes one of the few left sided players we have and doesnt see like he has had much of a chance in the first team. Wonder what else is in store.
Closed Thread