Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 23-10-2008, 19:07   #1
Rip Curl
XBL - GalcoTaliv

Which Golf clubs?

Mods please move if this isn't the correct place.

I am taking up Golf. I have found these set of clubs, seems to have all that I need.

Anyone tried these set of clubs? Or have an opinion on them?

http://www.thesportshq.com/texan-pow...re-woods1.aspx
Rip Curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 20:29   #2
andy30
Trusted User

I wont comment on the clubs you have seen as I don't feel qualified, it does depend on your budget though.

There's a good golf forum called Golf Magic, they're fairly friendly and can give you all the advice you could want.

Good luck with the golf though.

Andy
andy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 21:02   #3
kez
Trusted User

i picked up a 2nd had set of callaway clubs - very very happy with them

it's quite a steep learning curve i found, but have just finished a course at college with a pga pro, which was a great help

do you have a pro at your local course? they'd be able to advise you on what you need
Old 23-10-2008, 21:07   #4
Guest 56590
AdrianYoAdrianIdidit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kez View Post
do you have a pro at your local course? they'd be able to advise you on what you need
:

Sufficient money to spend?
Guest 56590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 21:14   #5
philatio
up spook hill

I'd either go with Kez's idea and get a good second hand set.. or wait till the January sales and get a big brands cheapest set (Taylor Made, Mizuno, Wilson) for £150-200ish.

The motto 'you get what you pay for' is very true with golf clubs.
philatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 21:14   #6
Danimal
asleep, in a flowerbed

I'd sooner buy a decent second hand set than a budget set - however it depends how much you intend to play and practice, If you are just starting out you shouold spend most of your time at the range/pitch and putt with an easy, say 7-iron - wedge and putter. you could pick these up for £15 each at american discount - your pro might even have some lying around. These kind of budget sets aren't bad if you only want to play twice a year, but if you improve you will feel the difference quite quickly
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2008, 21:29   #7
paulsaz
360: Loeb PSN: Loebz

Strange time of year to take up the game, you'll be needing some waterproofs

I'm by no means an expert so take the following with a pinch of salt. When I started I got a cheap set of no name sticks and hated them. If I were just starting out again I'd spend a bit more on a slightly better set of irons, a nice rescue wood and a hald decent putter. If you get serious about the game you'll want to upgrade anyway and if you don't you'll flog the named stuff for far more than the generic sticks. Have a look in a few club shops and see if you can get a second hand set of mizuno mx-15/17/19's, taylor made rac os (or os 2's) or something of that standard that you can take a few swings with and feel comfortable with. Basically anything stupidly oversized with all the weight around the perimeter and probably a bit offset. If that isn't an option I'd probably go for the hybrid version of the set you've posted, £20 more but you get the rescue woods and hybrid 5 and 6 irons which are much easier to hit the ball with. At 10.5 degrees the driver is going to be hard work for a noob, I started with a 14 degree driver and still play with a 12.5 now.

The other thing you'll want to do is get a few lessons under your belt, get your stance right and don't worry too much much about leathering the ball just swing through it. It can be massively frustrating game if you take it too seriously, go steady, relax and it will slowly come to you. Traipsing around a full course in the rain and wind is likely to not be much fun but a nice summers evening after work spent wandering around hitting a ball can be very pleasant. Good luck with it.
paulsaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 03:12   #8
JConway
Est 2001. Recyled in 2003

Watch out for the 'replicas' on ebay.

Was in Shanghai a couple of months ago and you can buy a full set of 'replica' Calloways, Bag, Mini Bag after heavy negotiating £85.00 !!!

Looks like the genuine product and someone with golfing knoweldge would be able to spot the differences between real and replica.
JConway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2008, 06:24   #9
Kryten
Administrator

Moving
Old 24-10-2008, 08:45   #10
Rip Curl
XBL - GalcoTaliv

Thanks all for the advice. I will take a look at the local golf shop over weekend and ask some advice from them also.

I don't mind cold, wet and windy weather, in fact when I go walking in the lakes I actually prefer it too summer, as long as I am wearing the right clothing for the conditions. But as someone pointed out I'll probably spend most of my time on a range, good few months I would say.
Rip Curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2008, 09:40   #11
paulsaz
360: Loeb PSN: Loebz

See if you can find a nice 9 hole short course somewhere near you. Ideal for making the leap from range to full course.
paulsaz is offline   Reply With Quote