Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 26-12-2007, 15:33   #161
Boink!
2021 is the new 2020

Thanked 4,261 Times in 1,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipicus View Post
and the Doctor as Messiah motif makes me cringe too.
That was particually wince inducing.
Old 26-12-2007, 15:37   #162
Nirvana
Blanned Member

[altogether now]

he's not the messiah, he's a VERY naughty boy

Old 26-12-2007, 15:49   #163
andybhoy
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAvenger View Post
Positive about that are you? One of the rumours about who will take over once RTD leaves is that it will be Steven Moffat who of course is cited by many as having written the best scripts for the show so far and with him in charge there will be many changes made to the style of the show.

Well considering that Steven Moffat is a big fan of the style used in the RTD era of the show I doubt very much that he will change it a great deal if indeed he does take over (and that's a big if considering that he is heavily involved in the forthcoming Tintin stuff for Spielberg).

It will be interesting when RTD does finally step down from his position on Doctor Who because a lot of people seem to think that things will then get a lot better. Remember, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Surprised though that this forum seems to allow posters to wilfully slag off someone who is after all a fellow human being. I am of course talking about the usual criticisms of RTD which are now really becoming very mean spirited and frankly disgusting.
I am sure RTD can cope with criticism. Not sure why my comment is "disgusting".

Are you seriously saying mods should be banning folk for saying:

"Don't worry though, once RTD goes the quality if bound to sky rocket, so there will be fewer negative comments."
Old 26-12-2007, 16:08   #164
Guest 1987
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by andybhoy
I am sure RTD can cope with criticism. Not sure why my comment is "disgusting".

Are you seriously saying mods should be banning folk for saying:

"Don't worry though, once RTD goes the quality if bound to sky rocket, so there will be fewer negative comments."
There's nothing wrong with your comment about RTD and quality sky rocketing when he leaves (I don't agree with that particular comment but I don't find them insulting to RTD), that was a general comment by me about some of the abuse dished out to RTD on this very thread ("The man is a talentless self indulgent idiot IMO" being just such a comment - sorry there is just no need to make these sort of comments, they are really unecessary and these forums shouldn't allow them).

Quote:
Originally posted by hookbeak
Surely you mean "12.2 million morons" and "50% share of typical sun reading joe public" ?
Surely there is no need for these sort of comments on here. What is it about people that they feel the need to insult others when they make a criticism about something that they didn't happen to like.

I am one of those 12.2 million that you slag off here "hookbeak" but quite frankly this says a lot more about you as a person than it does about the people you are trying to insult. It makes you look foolish.
Old 26-12-2007, 16:18   #165
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

He's being ironic. Didn't you read any of his earlier posts?
Old 26-12-2007, 16:20   #166
andybhoy
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAvenger View Post
I am one of those 12.2 million that you slag off here "hookbeak" but quite frankly this says a lot more about you as a person than it does about the people you are trying to insult. It makes you look foolish.
He's pretending that that is the sort of argument people who didn't enjoy the episode are making. It's a strawman - as no one here ever says anything like that as far as I have seen.

On a more positive note - I enjoyed the new theme, and I was very pleased to see in the trailer that Bernard cribbens is in it again.
Old 26-12-2007, 16:21   #167
Guest 1764
Dry hair’s for squids

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
its more than 1 episode, human nature and family of blood where well liked on here. They are probably more

There are - Gridlock for example. An RTD penned episode no less. NURSE!!!!...the screens! I need a lie down.

Regarding the incessant dicking around with the theme tune - It never ceases to amaze/amuse me that Murray Gold thinks he knows better than Ron Grainer and Delia Derbyshire and no doubt imagines his orchestral remix is superior to the iconic original arrangement. It’s like when movie studio heads get replaced or new bosses take over in-progress projects, they feel obliged to disparage/ignore what went before and make changes for the sake of it just to announce their presence. Gold is a hack and the fawning over his appalling score in Confidential yesterday made me retch. Made me laugh that his acting stint in the episode was totally missed by Tennant.
Old 26-12-2007, 16:38   #168
dunkrag
Captain Sanctimonious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
When it's good, it's the best thing we have on UK TV.
....I was going to reply to this with something, but have just been sat here for 10 mins speechless that someone actually believes this.

Were you joking?
Old 26-12-2007, 17:22   #169
ian turner
Trusted User

er have you watched TV recently ?
He might be right.
Which isn't necessarily a good thing.
Hmm Kylie Minogue as new assistant would have helped alleviate fears that the Dr was trawling the gutters for street trash which Catherine Tate's selection has helped to resurrect . (jury out on the hospital Doctor as suspect her of being a big brother fan)
They could afford her fees, few hundred k off Mr Wosses pay wouldn't be noticed and he might have problems getting her as a guest in future if he made the same claim as he did about news readers

Last edited by ian turner; 26-12-2007 at 17:24.
Old 26-12-2007, 17:34   #170
Jonnof
another man's pretentious

Good to see that Starship Titanic's penetration of the Tardis interior was fully and rationally explained there. RTD doesn't just throw this stuff in willy-nilly, you know.
Old 26-12-2007, 17:42   #171
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Why on earth does anything have to be "fully and rationally explained" ?

Don't people have imaginations they can use?

My problem with the criticism of this episode is that it tends not to be any deeper than "RTD is crap + it was too loud and brash"
Old 26-12-2007, 17:46   #172
Sneeka
pull my finger..

I thought this was supposed to be the FRIENDLY thread?

Knew it wouldn't last.

Anyway, I thought the episode was pretty good myself. So there.

Last edited by Sneeka; 26-12-2007 at 17:47. Reason: i can't splel
Old 26-12-2007, 17:49   #173
gjkendall
Gooner

Cringeworthy episode, that was a lot about nothing!

Fair amount of style, tit all substance!

The preview for the next series looked ok, although I am not happy about Catherine Tate being in it...there was a glimmer of "Am I bovvered" in one of the clips!

I really shouldn't of started watching it with high hopes I guess!

Last edited by gjkendall; 26-12-2007 at 17:50.
Old 26-12-2007, 18:02   #174
Jedibitch
XBL - groovephil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
My problem with the criticism of this episode is that it tends not to be any deeper than "RTD is crap + it was too loud and brash"
Ok.

Story was rubbish, no build up, no plot bar a mad man with a grudge which you could see coming from jupiter.

Woeful aliens, I include the little red fella.

Complete leaps of faith at every point a plot hole appears, either sonic screwdriver, throwaway line, teleport, forklift. no creativity at all.

Visuals were ok but just over the top when the money was needed on STORY.

Music sounds like a chimp let loose in an orchestra.

No need for Kylie except to hype an already over hyped show, she brought nothing to it.

And finally if you are going to rip bits off other films/shows it has to done very well to work.

And can someone explain why the Captain was in on it and dropped the shields? I may have missed this plot point as i was speechless at the dross plopping out of my TV like a new born baby cow from its mother.

And did anyone else get the impression they changed there mind in this Christmas special? Why would a space ship have life savers on the outside of its Hull? Everything else on the outside was modernish?

I think they were going to do a 'real' titanic episode.

RTD = TV I don't want to watch. It's that simple to me.

I didn't like you very much when I met you and now I like you even less.

The Wonder Stuff

Last edited by Jedibitch; 26-12-2007 at 18:08.
Old 26-12-2007, 18:28   #175
Roswell
Trusted User

I personally fell asleep watching it..........although that could have been down to the copious amounts of wine I consumed!

Thought it was good to see Bernard Cribbins......don't remember seeing him in Who apart from the Peter Cushing Dalek movies (Who geeks feel free to correct me on this point though). Looks like he is back in the (earth based zzzz) 4th series too.
Old 26-12-2007, 18:48   #176
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeka View Post
I thought this was supposed to be the FRIENDLY thread?
Nothing is ever friendly when it comes to DVD Forums + Doctor Who.
Old 26-12-2007, 18:55   #177
splobber
Administrator

It's serious business.
Old 26-12-2007, 19:00   #178
Jonnof

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
Why on earth does anything have to be "fully and rationally explained" ?

Don't people have imaginations they can use?

Ah, I see. It's not willfully inconsistent and slapdash - it's imaginative.

Sorry, but that whole sequence was a perfect illustration of the RTD style - set up a mind-boggling situation which contravenes accepted Who lore (as in, the inside and outside are located in two separate dimensions), and a press of a magic button makes it all go away. Even a one-line excuse would have been nice.
Old 26-12-2007, 19:01   #179
Tony Keats
Too lemony for sparrows

I agree that there were too many RTD staples and shortcuts, but I didn’t think it was an awful episode. I enjoyed it in a mindless way.

I certainly found it less embarrassing than crap like the dalek 2-parter from the last series (now THAT was awful)…

So, nowhere near as good as the best of new Who, but not as bad as the worst either... It was watchable, without being especially worthy of praise...
Old 26-12-2007, 19:01   #180
Jonnof

It's good to see Ainsley Harriot's made his big break into acting, anyway.
Closed Thread