Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 26-12-2007, 10:37   #141
albertz
The Weapon

hookbeak, prepare to be lynched. I agree with your every word.
Old 26-12-2007, 10:42   #142
cliff homewood
Trusted User

First the forklift, the problem i ahd with it was it was so obviously set up, as it was sitting there facimng in the right direction ready. IN fact it was so well aimed kylie drove it in without any manouevring. THats why I think I didn't like it, it wasn't just lying around, it might as well have had a great big spotlight on it and heavenly voices on the sound track (oh well maybe next time eh RTD?) As we are all pointing out this obviously had loads of problems, want another one? The Host is the strength of 10 men yet one fat bird quite easily managed to lasoo it and pull the rope strong enoguh around it so that it couldn't escape.

Now ot those that will never understand. Why? I've been a Dr WHo fan all my life. There is a problem in that my critical facultys have obviously matured with me. But, I am one of those who beleves we shouldn't be happily contented with crap but shoudl aspire and demand the best that people can give us. ANd this little series called Doctor WHo still gives us greatness, last season we had Blink. RTD can also give us greatness, the Christmas Invasion was superb I thought until the cheesy end fight, satsuma and all, now Tooth and Claw was superb all the way through for me.

But in general though, look at it this way. Football. I don'[t like football. Yet every time blokes meet its all they talk about, down the pub they will be discussing every game, picking it apart, telling you what the England manager should of done. Now I have friends and family that are Spurs fans, they all seem to agree they're not much cop, and yet they still go to the matches, watch them, support them, and talk endlessly about football whenever they meet up. In comparison this thread comes off quite light, its the only place I get to talk about my passion (I could have gone to OG, but you've heard how annoying they are), and my passion is derided as nerdy and us fans are portrayed as plebs. But as far as I'm concerned the only difference between my passion and football is in football everybody supports it. It has the numbers. Oh and when Dr Who does come out with a Christmas Turkey at least I'm not going to go down the street and batter someone 'who's fault it is' by my drunken logic.

Rant over with controversial ending, hope the analogy helps understanding.
Old 26-12-2007, 10:43   #143
andybhoy
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookbeak View Post
I'll never understand these doctor who threads as long as i live. I enjoyed every minute.

After every single episode of who that airs, we get the same faces saying how much they hated it. Don't you get bored of watching something you clearly don't like?
And the merry go round continues.

You say that in every thread. Then someone responds to say they enjoy some dr who episodes and don't enjoy others.

I'll say how much I enjoy the eps I enjoy, and I'll outlines the faults of the **** ones. That's not going to change. I'm certainly not going to stop watching, when I know there will be some great episodes.

You don't seriously expect everyone who dislikes a few episodes to stop watching or commenting?

Don't worry though, once RTD goes the quality if bound to sky rocket, so there will be fewer negative comments.

ETA: and any "lynching" that takes place is mutal - lets not pretend that that one "side" is all sweetness and light and that everyone else is a ****.

Last edited by andybhoy; 26-12-2007 at 10:46.
Old 26-12-2007, 10:52   #144
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Didn't realise it was the same person with that comment.
And just remember Sturgeon's law, 90% of everything is... AUTOCENSOR IMPAIRED.
Old 26-12-2007, 11:41   #145
mrsteve
Father of the Son

Heck, I really enjoyed it. A little one-paced and the incdiental music was indifferent, but streets ahead of the other Christmas specials. Plus, I love Robots of Death and Poseidon Adventure, so it was bound to keep me happy.
New theme - sounded okay to me, an improvement on the previous TBH.
Old 26-12-2007, 11:57   #146
Spooksta
Mr Honest

Yes, the best Christmas special yet. Prefer Kylie with long hair though
Old 26-12-2007, 11:59   #147
thescrounger
Trusted User

The Unquiet Dead is still the best Christmas special for me.
Old 26-12-2007, 12:09   #148
GAmbrose
Trusted User

Quote:
I'll never understand these doctor who threads as long as i live. I enjoyed every minute.

After every single episode of who that airs, we get the same faces saying how much they hated it. Don't you get bored of watching something you clearly don't like?
That might be true, but like I said this is the first episode I have seen since they rebooted it with Christopher Eccleston and I thought it was naff, so that doesn't apply to everyone.

Gary A
Old 26-12-2007, 12:12   #149
thescrounger
Trusted User

Apparently the episode got 12.2 million viewers and a 50% share.
Old 26-12-2007, 13:05   #150
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Quote:

The point it that it is not every single episode, which basically demolishes your argument. When it's good, it's the best thing we have on UK TV. Which makes the dross even more difficult to comprehend and accept.
Old 26-12-2007, 13:17   #151
Sprout Crumble
They're starting 2 shimmy

Sucked. Will someone take RTD out to the barn and shoot him. He's now the biggest liability to the continued success of this show.

And Catherine Tate to look forward to...... OMFG...
Old 26-12-2007, 13:18   #152
Royle
Put the kettle on, Barb.

I thoroughly enjoyed it but needed a bit of volume lowering in parts. Kylie (one of those 'celebs' that baffles me with her popularity) was pretty good.
Old 26-12-2007, 13:18   #153
Jedibitch
XBL - groovephil

just watched it.

utter utter plop from start to finish.

i don't think I can watch another RTD episode. The man is a talentless self indulgent idiot IMO.

I didn't like you very much when I met you and now I like you even less.

The Wonder Stuff
Old 26-12-2007, 13:23   #154
Harsin

Here's a radical thought people, why not just talk about what you thought about the show and not your perceived opinion of those who disagree with your critical take?

The threads are usually fine until somebody lumbers in goes "I thought it was ____" and then goes on for two paragraphs about the people who post in the threads and it's usually the same suspects as well I've noticed.

Last edited by Harsin; 26-12-2007 at 13:24.
Old 26-12-2007, 14:34   #155
SqueakyG
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101-A View Post
The badies were also pretty crap. Angels with Bafta faces? Crap.
Speaking of the design of them I actually thought something was really clever: the way that, when they take off their halos, it looks like they have horns. I don't know if that was intentional.
Old 26-12-2007, 15:19   #156
Guest 1987
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by andybhoy
Don't worry though, once RTD goes the quality if bound to sky rocket, so there will be fewer negative comments.
Positive about that are you? One of the rumours about who will take over once RTD leaves is that it will be Steven Moffat who of course is cited by many as having written the best scripts for the show so far and with him in charge there will be many changes made to the style of the show.

Well considering that Steven Moffat is a big fan of the style used in the RTD era of the show I doubt very much that he will change it a great deal if indeed he does take over (and that's a big if considering that he is heavily involved in the forthcoming Tintin stuff for Spielberg).

It will be interesting when RTD does finally step down from his position on Doctor Who because a lot of people seem to think that things will then get a lot better. Remember, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Surprised though that this forum seems to allow posters to wilfully slag off someone who is after all a fellow human being. I am of course talking about the usual criticisms of RTD which are now really becoming very mean spirited and frankly disgusting.
Old 26-12-2007, 15:19   #157
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster View Post
The point it that it is not every single episode, which basically demolishes your argument. When it's good, it's the best thing we have on UK TV. Which makes the dross even more difficult to comprehend and accept.
i disagree. excepting blink, some people have pretty much hated every second of it for the last three years and pop in here to tell us it was "utter ****" immediately afterwards.

i get that pepole don't like it, i even understand why (even though i disagree). But i don't get why they are still watching it - frankly, if you'll watch a show for 3 years because you liked one episode a year ago but hated all the others and hope you'll see another you'll like eventually - then you're barmy.
Old 26-12-2007, 15:20   #158
Guest 3078
bent member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout Crumble View Post
Sucked. Will someone take RTD out to the barn and shoot him. He's now the biggest liability to the continued success of this show.
Well he clearly isn't a liability considering it was the second most watched TV programme yesterday.

I agree with whoever said above that RTD's pandering to the audience for Dr Who as he perceives it, and judging by the viewing figures it still gets he's just about spot on whether we like it or not.

As for the episode - I thought it was tripe. Once again, way too much crammed into way too little time and yet another truly horrifying kitchen-sink-and-then-some score from Murray Gold. I could have done without the blatant lifts from Poseidon Adventure, Aliens and others and the Doctor as Messiah motif makes me cringe too.

Still looking forward to the new series though - have no problem with Tate.
Old 26-12-2007, 15:22   #159
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescrounger View Post
Apparently the episode got 12.2 million viewers and a 50% share.

Surely you mean "12.2 million morons" and "50% share of typical sun reading joe public" ?
Old 26-12-2007, 15:29   #160
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,123 Times in 492 Posts
Quote:
i disagree. excepting blink, some people have pretty much hated every second of it for the last three years and pop in here to tell us it was "utter ****" immediately afterwards.

i get that pepole don't like it, i even understand why (even though i disagree). But i don't get why they are still watching it - frankly, if you'll watch a show for 3 years because you liked one episode a year ago but hated all the others and hope you'll see another you'll like eventually - then you're barmy.
its more than 1 episode, human nature and family of blood where well liked on here. They are probably more
Closed Thread