Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26-12-2007, 22:51   #201
SqueakyG
Trusted User
 
SqueakyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 3,268
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
If the discussion annoys you that much perhaps you shouldn't be reading the thread?

If we're all gong to agree and just say nice things on here about the programme whats the point of having a thread where everyone just agrees with each other
I encourage differing opinions and debate. I read Doctor Who threads because I like to see if people agree with me about the strengths and weaknesses of each episode. Strengths and weaknesses -- most episodes have both.

Quite a lot of episodes have great sci-fi concepts that are badly executed by the general filming/editing/scoring of the show (in my opinion). I like to come here to see if anyone is discussing the neat ideas. But they're too busy arguing about the bad execution -- the same bad execution every time -- something that you must become used to forgiving or ignoring, if you wish to be a continuing viewer. Because it's too damn boring to keep hearing about the flaws of RTD's scripting. You learned what RTD is like in season 1. If you continue to watch, you must grudgingly put up with such things, to uncover the occasional good moment of science-fiction underneath.

That's what I'm here for.
SqueakyG is offline  
Old 26-12-2007, 22:51   #202
fivebyfive
Leave means lies
 
fivebyfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 18,630
Thanks: 446
Thanked 1,123 Times in 492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by splobber View Post
I don't disagree, but that's hardly going to calm things down is it?

sorry I'll edit it
fivebyfive is offline  
Old 26-12-2007, 22:52   #203
Guest 53
A girl who loves football
 
Guest 53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Beacons on the doorstep.
Posts: 14,519
Thanks: 332
Thanked 142 Times in 80 Posts
I and all my family normally really like Dr Who that's why we were all looking forward to the Xmas special. There's only my brother who's a bit and looks at who's writing an episode, knows what the TARDIS can do etc, the rest of us just watch it as a bit of family drama and feel no need to analysis each episode in depth.

It just felt very stop start, you'd just start getting into the action when there'd be some badly placed joke or a bit of mawkish sentimentality. Whilst I'm happy to suspend belief (its Dr Who afterall ) when there are plot holes so blatant 8 year olds are questioning it (beaming down to earth when all the power was supposed to be used to keep the engines going) it spoils it for me.

I'm a little confused as to why some people are so defensive and feel the need to throw out veiled insults about some people saying they like or dislike this episode. Maybe some of us had unreasonably high hopes for the episode but maybe thats because when Dr Who is good its very good. I and my family were hoping this would be better than average and unfortunately IMO it was worse than average.

Anybody know when the new series starts?
Guest 53 is offline  
Old 26-12-2007, 22:57   #204
tbibic
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 418
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibitch View Post
And did anyone else get the impression they changed there mind in this Christmas special? Why would a space ship have life savers on the outside of its Hull? Everything else on the outside was modernish?

I think they were going to do a 'real' titanic episode.
I did wonder this too. I think that this would have been interesting as I do prefer the earth based episodes.

I just wanted to say that, as a Blakes 7 fan, it brought a smile to my face to see teleport bracelets.
tbibic is offline  
Old 26-12-2007, 22:59   #205
SqueakyG
Trusted User
 
SqueakyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 3,268
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
sorry thats not true at all, maybe didn't read the posts a page or 2 back

OR you ignored them as it didn't fit your argument.


The reason these threads go downhill is because
No, see, this is what I mean about things getting personal. Look at your tone here.. In a few brief sentences, you've turned this into some kind of battle of wills, where I "ignored" things that didn't "fit my argument", etc.

It's not as serious as that! There's no argument here. Participating in this thread should not be hard work. It's Doctor Who! It's a bit of fun Christmas day telly. And we are blokes on a forum who don't know each other. We don't have the ability to hurt or annoy each other, because we are words on a screen -- about fun British telly.

For your own good health, please take this less seriously. Don't make it a battle of wills. And certainly don't develop grudges.

Peace.

Last edited by SqueakyG; 26-12-2007 at 23:03.
SqueakyG is offline  
Old 26-12-2007, 23:08   #206
fivebyfive
Leave means lies
 
fivebyfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 18,630
Thanks: 446
Thanked 1,123 Times in 492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyG View Post
No, see, this is what I mean about things getting personal..
I'm not making this personal and didn't say "ignored" things that didn't "fit my argument" I was just saying you may have missed the posts (it does happen in large threads) that other people said liked certain episodes but not this one. there is no point going on as the show is a bit of fun (sometimes)

Last edited by fivebyfive; 26-12-2007 at 23:10.
fivebyfive is offline  
Old 26-12-2007, 23:34   #207
alsemail
Bibble....
 
alsemail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,232
Thanks: 1,294
Thanked 873 Times in 485 Posts
Not wishing to add anything to the vitriol and bile that is floating round over a family TV show but...........Star Wars it's crap isn't it?
alsemail is offline  
Old 26-12-2007, 23:46   #208
thescrounger
Trusted User
 
thescrounger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Kent
Posts: 19,802
Thanks: 93
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
thescrounger is offline  
Old 26-12-2007, 23:50   #209
cliff homewood
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Southend
Posts: 5,569
Thanks: 3
Thanked 101 Times in 75 Posts
decided to delete answer as people are trying their best to break the circle.

Last edited by cliff homewood; 26-12-2007 at 23:55.
cliff homewood is offline  
Old 27-12-2007, 01:30   #210
Jedibitch
XBL - groovephil
 
Jedibitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bridgnorth
Posts: 4,976
Thanks: 81
Thanked 150 Times in 78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
I thought the story was quite imaginative - the shift from a disaster movie to a pantomime baddie was handled well and meant the episode filled its extended slot without being overstretched.

When did Dr Who become a pantomime? I was unaware that i now have to scream 'He's behind you' at the TV. (I'm resisting the urge for a top notch RTD gag here)



What was wrong with the aliens? As usual they were nearly all humanoid, but aren't they in nearly all SF? Anyway, life tends to adapt to fit an environment, and similar environments produce similar looking lifeforms - take a shark and a dolphin for example. I liked the way the red guy's android paranioa setup the baddie's grudge too...

What is wrong is that EVERYONE that RTD musters up is rubbish, a quick flick through his episodes hammers that point firmly home.



Again, no different to any drama that uses any kind of deus ex machina - a perfectly acceptable plot device.

Now you are having a joke, yes? It's LAZY writing not an acceptable plot device. it would be like a cop show just using finger prints every week to catch the criminal. It would get a little dull after a while don't you think?



The ep had plenty of story, maybe a bit too much plot though.
And I can't say I noticed the music at all.

do you have the TV sound off when you watch it? The new 'theme' was just jarring, why change after 3 'new' series? No point at all, RTD does it because HE can. The in-show music is messy at best and total crap at worst.



She bought publicity and extra viewers too it. Wasn't that the point? If you can't have stunt casting in an xmas pantomime, when can you?

We're back to this pantomime line again? Also does this show need more viewers? No, it needs quality writers, the whole episode was promoted on the Kylie factor and it was a VERY weak part.



Does it? A pleasant homage has its place surely?

it sure does, but when it's done crap, it's crap.



But you continue to watch it?
Because every now and then it IS good, just not all the time like the fan boys think it is. And this time is was pure unadulterated junk.

Going on your above answers though it seems you'd watch it no matter what RTD served up just because it's Dr Who, a problem rife in the Who world I think.
__________________

I didn't like you very much when I met you and now I like you even less.

The Wonder Stuff
Jedibitch is offline  
Old 27-12-2007, 09:39   #211
mnementh
Cheese is Evil
 
mnementh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: In constant denial
Posts: 6,335
Thanks: 175
Thanked 91 Times in 53 Posts
Didn't like the new theme, and thought Kylie was a bit pointless (though very yummy in kinky maid outfit) - otherwise I really enjoyed it. Even the Queen bit made me chuckle.

Biggest disapointment for me was the lack of wow factor about the series 4 trailer. The series 3 one ended with Dalek Sec, giving either a "Cool, the Daleks are back" or a "Crap, the Daleks are back" feeling. This one just seemed a bit lacklustre. Will still watch it anyway
mnementh is offline  
Old 27-12-2007, 11:47   #212
cliff homewood
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Southend
Posts: 5,569
Thanks: 3
Thanked 101 Times in 75 Posts
I liked the new music and thought kylie was good in it. Couldn't help but notice they kept having her bend over showing cleavage though (noticeable because of the camera angle to hide the poor girls problem).

Shouldn't have bothered deleting my last reply as its still the same old stuff. Personally I find nothing wrong of it most of the time, other than the strange sense of deja vu when being asked questions like 'why do you still watch it if you didn't like this particular episode?'


I did pointr out that most of my comments on here have been negative because they were areas that hadn't been covered in the thread, whereas the positive comments I put at the beginning of this post have already been talked about earlier in the thread.

Last edited by cliff homewood; 27-12-2007 at 11:51.
cliff homewood is offline  
Old 27-12-2007, 17:14   #213
KennyVader
Insomniac
 
KennyVader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: West London
Posts: 18,892
Thanks: 145
Thanked 102 Times in 58 Posts
Kylie looked SO ANCIENT in this that I thought she was the one that was supposed to be over 900 years old. Made worse by her pretending to be a waitress, which SHOULD BE A SEXY YOUNG GIRL. If she had to be in the show why they hell didn't she just play a passenger. She could still have done the "oh please take me with you" scene (I cringed at that) and the terrible fork lift truck scene (absolute nonsense).

Hyacinth Bucket's husband took up far too much screen time whinging about being a fraudster. What sort of message has the Doctor sent to the youth of today about lying on your CV by saving him and giving him a glorious retirement

Thought the scene with the Doc being lifted up by two Host was well dodgy imagery-wise and wouldn't be surprised if the Beeb get the Jerry Springer Opera mob lodging a complaint or two about that. Didn't much like the Doctor's "I'm here to save you, you got a problem with that" speech either.

As for bad guy, his business could create Titanic-sized spacecraft but the best he could do for his own perambulations was something made out of a geriatric's electric buggy and an old fridge? Defeated by a mere FORK LIFT TRUCK? FFS!

Still, at least the Tardis didn't bump along the M4 with people doing Indiana Jones leaps into it this year
KennyVader is offline  
Old 27-12-2007, 18:03   #214
Boink!
2021 is the new 2020
 
Boink!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Part of Europe
Posts: 24,243
Thanks: 1,562
Thanked 4,262 Times in 1,408 Posts
So you didn't care much for it then?
Boink! is offline  
Old 27-12-2007, 18:05   #215
Guest 1987
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bishop's Cleeve, CHELTENHAM, Glos
Posts: 1,253
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by new
Alright, apart from Blink, Human Nature, Family of Blood, Girl in the Fireplace, Empty Child, Doctor Dances, what great TV has Doctor Who ever given us
I would add "The End of the World", "Dalek", "Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways", "Tooth and Claw", "School Reunion", "The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit", "Gridlock" and "Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords" to that list, all great TV. But then that is just my opinion, an opinion that is shared by few on here.
Guest 1987 is offline  
Old 27-12-2007, 18:25   #216
Guest 12950
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 711
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAvenger View Post
I would add "The End of the World", "Dalek", "Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways", "Tooth and Claw", "School Reunion", "The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit", "Gridlock" and "Utopia/The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords" to that list, all great TV. But then that is just my opinion, an opinion that is shared by few on here.
I agree that these are all good - apart from the Utopia/Annoying Sound of drums/long drawn out timelord death episodes - which did nothing for me.


(the excellent Blink, Human Nature, Family of Blood, Girl in the Fireplace, Empty Child, Doctor Dances seem to have been lost by my quoting).

But regardless, there have been excellent episodes - just wish there were more

Last edited by pauls2; 27-12-2007 at 18:27.
Guest 12950 is offline  
Old 27-12-2007, 23:30   #217
Guest 4229
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Stanwell
Posts: 191
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't see it mentioned here, but OG are repoting an AI figure of 86. Remember anything over 85 is considered excellent so we have an 50% of the TV audience watching and they all liked it

I thought the program was OK, not the best ever but very far from the worst. I think I will need to take a second look at it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyG View Post
Why is it impossible to discuss Doctor Who without getting angry and insulting each other??


I mean really, what is it about this show? What makes it do this??
Its not just Doctor Who, who can forget all the threads about the Star Wars prequel films Some people disliked them so much they had to post in every thread on the films (and in some threads about completely different films) saying how much they disliked them.

I suspect the problem is not with the programs or films themselves, but with our recollection. In both cases we remember the program from our childhood and there is a kind of golden glow surrounding it and we remember it better than it actually was. Now we see something new and it doesn't matter how good it is, it can never compare to how good we think they were and so are a massive disappointment.

Last edited by AndrewN; 27-12-2007 at 23:31.
Guest 4229 is offline  
Old 28-12-2007, 21:10   #218
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence
 
Niceguygeoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Swanage, Dorset
Posts: 10,176
Thanks: 129
Thanked 49 Times in 30 Posts
I don't often venture into Who threads (as noted above, they make Star Wars discussions seem tame) but I've got to say that I enjoyed the Chrimbo special. It had plot holes you could fly a starship through, and Kylie sure did look old, yet Who on autopilot is still a whole heap o' fun.

I've always liked Who, yet I'm not a devout follower. Maybe that's why I can enjoy the show for what it is, instead of what it isn't. It's cheesy sci-fi goodness and, from what I recall, it's been little different down the years, multiple gay references notwithstanding.
Niceguygeoff is offline  
Old 28-12-2007, 23:58   #219
Ricinus
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cov.
Posts: 2,087
Thanks: 212
Thanked 29 Times in 19 Posts
Well, after 2 days thought my kid announced that she thought the episode was a bit rubbish. 'It was a bit the same all the way through and a bit loud' she said.
Can't disagree.
Her face during the new theme tune was a picture too. She was clearly wondering 'what the hell have they done that for ?'
Ricinus is offline  
Old 29-12-2007, 07:14   #220
BigH
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Brighton
Posts: 5,396
Thanks: 20
Thanked 36 Times in 27 Posts
I quite enjoyed it, but I'm not a massive fan

however, after reading this thread, I'm now convinced it was garbage

as mentioned earlier, great to see Bernard Cribbins (up there with Brian Cant as childhood hero)

missed trailer for series 4 as recorder switched to Harry Hill early - so it Tate his companion for whole series, or is Martha coming back?
__________________
I love my dead gay son
BigH is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
doctor who, Doctor Who Special, Matt Smith, Rocky Dennis

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Championship Thread 2008-2009 MarkR Sports Forum 566 03-07-2009 18:19
Official League 1 Thread 2008-2009 Fat Bloke Sports Forum 185 26-05-2009 21:15
Torchwood - a Doctor Who spinoff series - thread 2 -(Contains spoilers) ASH Television Discussion 702 07-04-2008 07:23
Doctor Who 2009/Series 5. LooneyJetman Television Discussion 76 13-09-2007 20:15
Doctor Who - Children in Need Special thread (NO spoilers about Xmas Sp & Series 2) new Television Discussion 49 22-11-2005 00:00

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.qq
Copyright ©2000 - 2021 Network N Ltd.