Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Suppliers and Shopping Forum

Old 17-10-2006, 20:59   #1
powder
Trusted User

Ebay/Paypal Dispute - Seller requesting i close dispute so he can pay ?

I bought a Sky+ box on Ebay a few weeks back, and found that the box was not sealed, the unit had some scuff marks on it, and would not output any video signal through the scart socket.

The seller responded pretty quickly and let me know how to force a box update, and explained that the unit was new but would have been opened to check it's contents

I went through the motions of trying to update the box - note that during the update procedure the video output works, but as soon as the box reboots it's back to being dead again.

I was offered a visit from a colleague of the seller to see if the unit could get going, or if not to replace it, but after these initial replies i have received bugger all from him, and in the end opened a dispute.

Almost immediately i got replies back from him saying;
Quote:
"Message just sent to this Gentleman." Hi there Chris, My sincere appoligies for all this trouble! I have got in contact with my colleague and being a complete moran like he is he totally forgot about this, and he has promised to swap the box's tomorrow! Please let me know by 5pm tomorrow if he has done so! As again sorry for not be replying to your emails i have just moved propertys and have been disconnected for a while and still have, i am using my works email at present! Kind Regards, James.
though this was a bit as he had sold other items between me losing contact with him and raising the dispute.

Well after the promised visit from his colleague again on monday not materialising i received an email (without prompting) monday night and;

Quote:
I got a msg from my colleague saying that he could not swap the box today, so personally i am very annoyed that me and you are being messed around this much. So i am going to offer you a refund if you can send the box back to me.
Please email me back to see how you feel about this.
So i have offered to send it back, to be honest i think i should have bought a V2 box not a V3 box, and so long as i get my cash back i dont mind queuing up in the post office so told him so and got;

Yeah if you can send it back that would be great, i sent it by Parcel Post, which is the cheapest and i have found fine.

Quote:
It should only cost around Ł7 i think, so i i will refund to your paypal account the appropriate money.
and then received;

Quote:
I have been trying to send the money too you, but because this claim is going through Paypal my account is lock, so you need to cancel it and i will refund straight away.
Now i've read the Paypal advice - which clearly states not to end a dispute until you are happy, and have received your item or got your funds back etc. so i can only assume that he is trying to pull a fast one.

What do you think?
powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 21:04   #2
Guest 943
Banned

Don't close the dispute.
Guest 943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 21:31   #3
Flip Martian
Internet radio DJ

Yeah no way - tell him you'll accept a cheque!
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 21:52   #4
dvds2000
Trusted User

His account wouldn't be locked completely for that - he should still be able to login and refund
dvds2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 22:00   #5
Guest 53696
Trusted User

Don't close the dispute because i'm pretty sure you cannot raise another dispute. Ask him to send you a cheque, postal order, etc, before closing the dispute.
Guest 53696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2006, 23:14   #6
powder
Trusted User

I have no plans to close the dispute - the paypal site clearly says that you cannot raise a dispute again after closing it and not to do it until you receive your goods and are happy or receive a refund.

I think i'll be pushing for a bank transfer, wait the relevant amout of time then send back the box - once the ball is firmly in my court and i have my money ill play it by the book, but drag my heels a little if needs be
powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 06:50   #7
Choccy
Trusted User

phone paypal and ask them if he can still make a refund.
Choccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 07:47   #8
Barny79
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcglo13
Don't close the dispute because i'm pretty sure you cannot raise another dispute.
Yeah, you can't, I found this out as I raised a dispute about an item not turning up, the item turned up, I closed it then tried to raise a dispute for the extensive postage that was on it and couldn't
Barny79 is offline   Reply With Quote