Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Suppliers and Shopping Forum

Old 09-10-2006, 12:47   #1
bonsaiguy
Dirty rotten scoundrel

General Priceline hotel booking feedback needed!

Hi folks,

I am off to NYC in early December and have been looking for hotels. I was thinking of giving the Priceline 'name a price' service a try. I know that plenty of folks here have done this before, how did it work out? Were the hotels up to scratch with the star ratings?

I am a bit nervous about having to pay up front for a hotel that I don't even know the name/details of. All constructuve info welcomed!

TIA
Old 09-10-2006, 13:16   #2
NicolaUK
Trusted User

www.biddingfortravel.com is your friend
NicolaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 18:46   #3
Guest 1389
moddy alumni

Moving to suppliers...
Guest 1389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 19:38   #4
pjg
Trusted User

I haven't used it for a couple of years but got some pretty good deals such as 4* Marriot right next to the French Quarter in New Orleans for £30 a night
pjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 20:54   #5
Guest 1724
XBL: pennepacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolaUK
www.biddingfortravel.com is your friend
Sure is

We stayed at the 4-star Grand Hyatt in Denver for £60 a night over Easter courtesy of Priceline. We had a massive room that would normally be £200+ per night

That said, it was the only stay of our 5 stop tour of the West that we managed to get a Priceline deal to suit us. But I would definitely use Priceline again, particularly when going to a big city. I wouldn't drop below 3-star though, and I would check BiddingforTravel for which hotels I was likely to get.

Last edited by Art Vanderlay; 09-10-2006 at 20:55.
Guest 1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 21:06   #6
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

How far ahead to use priceline? am off to new york in early feb, not sure whether to book now using expedia or wait and use priceline.

have used priceline before for nice place in orlando.

with new york, is it generally you just get a better class of hotel for your money rather than save much?

Catherine
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 13:11   #7
bonsaiguy
Dirty rotten scoundrel

Thanks for the advice folks, I'm having a look at biddingfortravel.com now.

Great stuff!
bonsaiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 14:12   #8
GregB
Trusted User

Thanked 1,065 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson
How far ahead to use priceline? am off to new york in early feb, not sure whether to book now using expedia or wait and use priceline.

have used priceline before for nice place in orlando.

with new york, is it generally you just get a better class of hotel for your money rather than save much?

Catherine
Bidding For Travel says that it really depends on the date sof your travel. When we went we got the best deal at the last minute

We went in August and were trying on 4* Downtown Hotels for a couple of months before the trip. We nevere got anywhere. 4 days before we left we were surprised to get the Millenium Hilton (which overlooks ground zero) for £360 including taxes for the 4 night stay which was half the price of their own site and Expedia.

If you are worried about not getting in your best bet would to book a hotel through their own site as you will normally be able to cancel up to a day or two before you arrive. Make sure you don't choose a special non refundable deal though. You can then delay your Priceline bid as long as you look safe in the knowledge you have a room booked if you get no joy.
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 14:13   #9
GregB
Trusted User

Thanked 1,065 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsaiguy
Thanks for the advice folks, I'm having a look at biddingfortravel.com now.

Great stuff!
Sure is. It's also worth checking out reviews of the hotels on Trip Advisor
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 21:06   #10
magicrat
What's Next?

Big bump for this.

Any advice on using Priceline to book a hotel in NYC for the end of September/ October?

Is this too soon to bid?
magicrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 16:30   #11
Coolio
Trusted User

I have used them a lot, last year probably made about 10 bookings for the US. With the help of biddingfortravel.com betterbidding.com and hotwire.com you can usually make an educated guess as to what you will get and how much you should pay for it. Also how to make free 2nd bids. I have been able to book a 2nd room a few days later and been pretty confident it would be at the same hotel for family.

Only once have I been disappointed and that was because I did not research the hotel enough I was actively targetting to get. It was a total dive, 2* max and they had it as 4*. However, that was more my fault as I did not review the hotels first on tripadvisor.co.uk so ensure you research what the possible hotels are.

IME it has been 50/50 on whether you get the crappest room going or not. I have booked twice in Manhatten and once got a small room outside the elevator with v loud aircon. Another time, I got upgraded to a small suite/large room because the hotel was overbooked. It seems it's less of an issue in recent years though but you did often get given the 'priceline room' which was small and ****. Tripadvisor reviews will mention such a problem.

As for trying now for September, you could try and see how you go. Stick to your limit, and if needbe try again every few days
Coolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 12:35   #12
magicrat
What's Next?

Thanks for the advice Coolio. I'll keep checking the site from now to then.

I dont understand how you can target a specific hotel though? Isnt this out of your hands?
Old 07-06-2009, 07:30   #13
Geoggy
Gamertag : Geoggy

was going to go down the priceline / hotwire route for NYC trip in October. Then I found the holiday inn thread on mse and booked the exact room in the exact hotel I wanted and saved a few hundred quid in the process
Geoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:06   #14
magicrat
What's Next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoggy View Post
was going to go down the priceline / hotwire route for NYC trip in October. Then I found the holiday inn thread on mse and booked the exact room in the exact hotel I wanted and saved a few hundred quid in the process
Had a quick look, was it a friends and family link you used?

I've found a hotel on Hotwire in Midtown Central, 3* for $122 a night, I think this is the Park Central, which seems like a decent deal. Will probably go for this later.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:59   #15
Geoggy
Gamertag : Geoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicrat View Post
Had a quick look, was it a friends and family link you used?

I've found a hotel on Hotwire in Midtown Central, 3* for $122 a night, I think this is the Park Central, which seems like a decent deal. Will probably go for this later.
Yes it was the one in the op for anthony baimbridge. Not super cheap but got 4 star in times square area on concierge floor for 600 quid for 4 nights
Geoggy is offline   Reply With Quote