Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 02-09-2006, 22:22   #1
BiscLimpkit
Hang out with my wang out

Shake Head Rules of squash?

Aye sports like badminton and tennis appear to have consistent rules worldwide (well I hear that badminton rules are changing in order to speed up the game ).

However I'm struggling with squash - it's like pool - different people seem to play by their own rules. I'm now finding it difficult to distinguish between actual rules and what people have fabricated.

Anyone know of a good rule book? I want to study it thoroughly. In the meantime, can anyone answer the following please?

1. When you serve, you need to keep one foot inside the box. However do both feet need to be behind the red line or can one foot be kept in front of it?

2. What constitutes a "let?"

3. When you score a point, which side do you serve on and why?

Ok that'll do for now thanks. On a side note, I have to say that squash is awesome for ass toning. I'm not one to boast but my ass is uber peachy.
BiscLimpkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 22:32   #2
splobber
Administrator

Moving....
splobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:56   #3
mr starface
He's on the Jazz again...

Well I play a fair bit of squash (and badminton) so I’ll have a stab from what I’ve seen regarding umpiring in matches.

Serving – As far as I know you can have one foot ahead of the line as the rule is only that one must remain in the box.

Lets – Hmm now these are often down to how the umpire sees the situation. Normally its when you strike the ball and then impede your opponent getting to it by being in the way, another reasons would be if the striker feels he would hit you with the ball. Must note that a let becomes a stroke if you play the ball and it comes back at you or through you. Thing is in matches its up to the player to appeal to the umpire so a bit like footy where different umpires see things different ways. Of course if your playing without an umpire your relying on the honesty of the other player so I normally play a let whenever anyone asks to save arguments and bad feeling.

Scoring – When you win serve back you are entitled to serve from either the left or the right (hint for left handed players server from the left!). After that whenever you score a point change sides.

Do like my squash and it does have some good rear end benefits (*cough*). Oh and the change to the badminton scoring system is a complete disaster and ruins the game for players and crowds in my opinion. So convulted and does not encourage attacking play (which is what crowds want to see).
Old 04-09-2006, 08:10   #4
Guest 27300
Bear with me, I'm slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr starface
Oh and the change to the badminton scoring system is a complete disaster and ruins the game for players and crowds in my opinion. So convulted and does not encourage attacking play (which is what crowds want to see).
I can well see that when the local league starts up again, there's going to be quite a few "Gentleman's agreements" regarding doing it all the old fashioned way!
Guest 27300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 11:26   #5
BiscLimpkit

Aye I think we'll still play badminton using the original rules.

Thanks for the informative post starface - particularly about the lets. I can tell some of my opponents to shut their face because they totally abuse the system (i.e. too lazy to run for the ball so they call out "let").

I can also tell my other friend that I'm putting one foot over the red line. I don't like serving any other way because it cramps my style.
Old 04-09-2006, 23:06   #6
Remains
trust nothing

I'd agree with everything Mr Starface has said.

I always serve with one foot over the line, and one in the box.

We also use the honesty tactic for lets... it's usually just a case of "would you have got that then?" and if you usually both know anyway.

Another thing to remember is that if you reach a score of 8-8, then the non-serving player can choose whether to play to 9 (as usual) or to 10. Note that you never have to win by clear 2 points as you do in some racquet games, and if you go to 9-9, you would still just play to 10.
Remains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 19:36   #7
Rip Curl
XBL - GalcoTaliv

I would also agree with mr Starface apart from the foot and box piece. My Friends and I have always played it with both feet in the box, much like tennis with your front foot against the line, to have one foot outside the bos seems wrong in my opinion, and feels like encrouching to me. Ages since I have played though, so just my opinion, I certainly wouldn't argue about it if I started playing again with a new squash partner, can only see the benefit with my serve.

Edit: I very rarely agree to a let, the would of had to of ran into me, clipping me, while attemping to get to the ball before I would say yeah. If I hit someone with the ball then I would give them a let out of sympathy, as it ******* hurts like hell to be hit by a squash ball in the middle of the back from 5 yards with a 'sweet spot' connection between ball and racquet.

Quote:
On a side note, I have to say that squash is awesome for ass toning. I'm not one to boast but my ass is uber peachy.
Ah so that is why my ex-gf always thought I had a 'fit' arse.

Think I will see if someone in work would like to start playing, cheers OP, I forgot about this sport for a time.

Last edited by Rip Curl; 05-09-2006 at 19:45.
Rip Curl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 11:23   #8
BiscLimpkit

Good to hear. Squash is popular enough so you should find someone to play against.

I think it's a point for you if you hit someone with the ball. Even if you go out of your way to hit them first. I think that's true... that's how I've played it.

(Note: I don't encourage players to deliberately smash the squash ball off their opponent. However if you're losing and want want and easy comeback,the option is always there).