Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 19-07-2006, 22:59   #61
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunts1uk
FFS sorry Mr Moby i won't post anything else.
Easy tiger..... i'm just frustrated that it's been going on so long.

:edit: how about adding something 'new from the inside'. What have you been told of the announcement your employers suggested would be aired at the French GP. Did it still happen but was that something internal & perhaps less interesting?

Last edited by Mr M0by; 19-07-2006 at 23:02.
Mr M0by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 23:17   #62
Guest 20396
T.H.F.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr M0by
Easy tiger..... i'm just frustrated that it's been going on so long.

:edit: how about adding something 'new from the inside'. What have you been told of the announcement your employers suggested would be aired at the French GP. Did it still happen but was that something internal & perhaps less interesting?

Not telling you now.
Guest 20396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2006, 23:56   #63
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunts1uk
Not telling you now.
Aah. Ok.

So with Renault hoping to sign Kimi, *i guess* Alonso/Flavio has not had much luck breaking free of the McLaren contract. It's hard to know how much truth there is in the rumours eminating from the French media but i think it's telling that Whitmarsh when questioned about it recently, replied basically along the lines of; "At McLaren we have water-tight contracts, they can't be reneged on so easily etc etc. Oh and Alonso is happy to be joining us." Why even mention all the contract stuff and leave it at Fernando will be with us next season and is looking forward to doing so?

Last edited by Mr M0by; 19-07-2006 at 23:59.
Old 20-07-2006, 00:30   #64
Guest 20396
T.H.F.C.

Don't think FA is to happy about going now Renault have signed til 2012,like i said though Renault have no one to blame but themselfs on that.

We just recived a email @ work today saying we was in talks with Kimi now,also loads of engine upgrade stuff.

Haven't seen anythink in the press about Renault talking to Kimi yet.Well no facts anyway.
Old 20-07-2006, 08:56   #65
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,711 Times in 591 Posts
I think Alonso was a prize prat to think that Renault would seriously pull out of F1 whilst they are at the top. All he had to do was wait a bit longer to find out anyway before running to Ron.

What the hell was Flavio doing during all this? He's Alonso's manager isn't he? Surely he has the best interests of Renault as well? Could he not have told him to hang fire a bit before running to the opposition?
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 09:03   #66
Guest 20396
T.H.F.C.

According to Flavio the whole Alonso to Mclaren deal was done without him knowing.
Old 20-07-2006, 13:03   #67
Guest 11894
Trusted User

The season was over, Flavio was on holiday, Alonso did the deal without him: thats been the story all season and since I havent seen anyone deny any part of it I see no reason not to believe it.

As for where Raikkonen might be going: it just gets more confusing by the day. Interesting article today with the usual mix of facts, rumours and craziness doesnt help any: if anything just the opposite.

Until we learn exactly what Raikkonen has signed with who its all just guesswork. So far the people that know arent talking
Guest 11894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 13:56   #68
Andrew70
Trusted User

He's in a comfortable position though so I'm not surprised he's playing it cool. I mean whatever happens, next year he'll be driving either a silver, red or blue car on a very handsome salary.
Andrew70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2006, 19:02   #69
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear
What the hell was Flavio doing during all this? He's Alonso's manager isn't he? Surely he has the best interests of Renault as well? Could he not have told him to hang fire a bit before running to the opposition?
I think Briatore disputes being Alonso's manager, claiming to be merely a stakeholder in the management company that Alonso is signed with.... So no influence whatsoever. Yeah right! Anyhoo supposedly Fernando bypassed Flavio and co and dealt straight with Ron D himself. Looking back it does seem impulsive of Montoya-like standards but McLaren looked on the up and maybe Renault had not given any indication to him that they would definetly continue post 07.

Alain Dassas (Renault F1 Team President) reportedly gave an interview earlier in the week to Gazzetta dello Sport stating that signing Kimi for 07 was their main priority, whilst inferring that Heiki Kovalainen might be too inexperienced to start with them next season.

hunts, have Renault signed a new title sponsor for next season and beyond? Mild Seven are leaving at the end of this season, aren't they? I guess Telefonica won't be in a hurry to follow Alonso to Vodafone McLaren.
Old 20-07-2006, 19:46   #70
Guest 20396
T.H.F.C.

Mild seven are looking likely to stay.There was word of Nokia also but not sure how much truth in that one.Do believe that Nokia sponsor Kovalainen and Kimi though.
Old 20-07-2006, 22:25   #71
Guest 11894
Trusted User

That sounds very odd, how many races would they actually be able to have their branding seen at? Every year that passes the list ticks down: Australia is added to the list of no tobacco advertising races next season from what I recall.

They arent instantly associated with Renault in the way Marlboro/Ferrari are: surely having their name & logos seen matters?
Old 05-08-2006, 00:50   #72
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

It's all falling into place now.

Quote:
Briatore on Kovalainen
"There are many drivers in F1, not just the drivers that everyone knows," he said. "There are plenty of engineering talents in F1 that people don't know. We always talk only about a few people - like Adrian Newey, who went from McLaren to Red Bull.

"But there are plenty of other people in F1 who are good when it comes to managing a team. Everybody thought that when we lost (former technical director) Mike Gascoyne that Renault would collapse, but we won the championship.

"And with drivers, it is the same. Will we not get Raikkonen? Okay. But there is the possibility to have a good time with a young driver like Heikki. We don't need to wait for anything; he can get in the car straight away.

"We know all the drivers available, but it is best to have someone who has done 20,000km of testing and is ready to race in F1. Even Robert Kubica was mine - and he is a bloody good driver.

"I lost him, but no one is perfect. Although that wasn't my mistake, it was someone else's."
Quote:
Briatore on Webber
The situation is settled, and it has been settled for some days, he does not have a problem and he has got a good future in front of him.
Quote:
Briatore on Schumacher
On this cloudy day in Hungary, I must say that my opinion, and it is my opinion, is that Schumacher has decided he will stop. Ferrari will race with Raikkonen and Massa.
Webber > Red Bull
Kovalainen > Renault
Raikkonen > Ferrari
Hamilton/Paffett > McLaren ??
Kubica > BMW ??
Davidson > Super Aguri ??

Supposedly Webber to RBR will be confirmed next week. If Flavio is speaking of Kimi not joining Renault, then he's going to Ferrari and if Webber is at RBR then Massa is way too cheerful for a driver with no team next season.

Schumacher retires.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:17   #73
MaxNutter

Thanked 1,025 Times in 596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr M0by
Schumacher retires.
it's gonna happen sooner or later, but F1 needs it's Dick Dastardley ...
Old 05-08-2006, 14:16   #74
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,313 Times in 925 Posts
If Schumacher wins the world title I think he might retire

Rik
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 15:37   #75
Guest 11894
Trusted User

might?
Old 08-08-2006, 14:48   #76
Andrew70
Trusted User

If Schumacher wins this year I'd be surprised if he DIDN'T continue next year.
Raikkonen would presumably be contractually obliged not to race against him (and if not would be fighting umpteen years of a setup centered on MS anyway), all the closest opposition teams would be switching to an unknown tyre brand and all the closest opposition drivers would be switching to new teams.
I reckon that would give him at least a four or five race head start and a better than good chance at a further world title.
I also think he's still chasing records and wants to be the first to notch up 100 wins.
Andrew70 is offline   Reply With Quote