Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Old 01-07-2006, 02:29   #1
Chuckman
Trusted User

The Stranglers - Gig review

Just saw them at the Robin2 in Bilston, Wolverhampton. Got there just in time to avoid the opening acts but not have to wait too long for the main act. Part of their rider includes a bottle of Tia Maria.

They started off with a couple of tracks from their late '70s period with the most notable one being "Peaches" before doing their first cover of the night, "You Really Got Me" by The Kinks. You would of thought that a band with their back catalogue wouldn't have to rely on covers.

The next half hour was a bit of a blur with me being lost in the sway and thrust of the crowd as they surged and retreated. However this soon changed when they started playing their biggest hit, "Golden Brown". Never have I seen a crowd go so quiet so quickly. One man next to me this was his most hated song of all time and agreed with me when I said this was their sell-out track.

People more au fait with their material can tell me if they have done anything in a country and western style, but that's what the next three tracks sure sounded like. Things continued to be upbeat before playing their second, and last, cover "Walk on By" the extended version. I didn't know there was an extended version of this track but it just Jean and the new singer/guitarist messing around for a couple of minutes.

On the hour mark the band finished their set before doing the first of two encores. The first was "5 Minutes" and "Get a Grip on Yourself". The second encore was "No More Heroes". For the encores the bassist took of his t-shirt to show that he's no stranger to the gym.

As for the band, they were excellent.

All in all, I would say that if you were a big fan you would of appreciate this, but I was never that keen on them and was bored after the first 30mins and waited another hour just to hear "No More Heroes" and "Get a Grip on Yourself". Also, paying Ł20 ($35) was on the pricey side.
Chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 08:08   #2
Guest 48764
Trusted User

You're right, Golden Brown was a "sell out". As for the band themselves, they ceased to be The Stranglers as soon as Hugh Cornwel left.
Guest 48764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 09:01   #3
Guest 49181
Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckman
Just saw them at the Robin2 in Bilston, Wolverhampton.
Bilston isn't in Wolverhampton! I know - I lived in Wolverhampton as a kid and walked to Bilston to visit my grandad over there every week!
Guest 49181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 13:00   #4
Guest 2618
Microbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper
You're right, Golden Brown was a "sell out". As for the band themselves, they ceased to be The Stranglers as soon as Hugh Cornwel left.
What he said! I saw The Stranglers live maybe 10 times between 77-86 ish, but gave up once Cornwell left. Flogged a dead horse ever since he went IMHO...
Guest 2618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 13:27   #5
GlennSh
Trusted User

Quote:
For the encores the bassist took of his t-shirt to show that he's no stranger to the gym.
JJ's a black belt in Karate so not many people would mess with him!
Old 01-07-2006, 19:31   #6
Chuckman
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euler
Bilston isn't in Wolverhampton! I know - I lived in Wolverhampton as a kid and walked to Bilston to visit my grandad over there every week!

Sorry, I'm not from there and knew it was in that genreal area.

So where is Bilston then, Black Country?
Chuckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:45   #7
Guest 14710
Demon Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper
Right oh!

As much as I like(d) Hugh and respect him as a musician, I belive that the band is still as good (if not better than when they started). Paul Roberts is a brilliant vocalist, who has a good range and Baz Warnes is an outstanding guitarist .

I have to admit that Golden Brown is not one of my favourite tracks, that is mainly due to over play by radio stations. Norfolk Coast is a really strong album and is a much better album than either 10, Dreamtime or Aural Sculpture. As for cover versions, Walk On By and All The Day & All Of The Night, have been crowd pleasers for quite a while.

Does anyone know when the dvd of the Norfolk Coast tour is due out?
Guest 14710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:09   #8
Lorne.t
Trusted User

I'm not a huge fan and haven't seen either version live but I thought the "Norfolk Coast" album was a return to form.
I love "Black and white",especially with "Walk on by" added.I bought it the week it came out with the free white 7" from Boots in Dundee on a day trip away!
I think NC does a good job in trying to replicate the sound of the first three albums,including B and W, with the opening title track doing the best job.
If you are a fan of the bands early recordings it's certainly worth a listen.
Lorne.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:28   #9
Guest 49181
Code Monkey

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not from there and knew it was in that genreal area.

So where is Bilston then, Black Country?
{Strictly speaking probably OT for the thread - but the whole Wolverhampton/Black County thing is an entirely new can of worms to open**
Guest 49181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:40   #10
GregB
Trusted User

Thanked 1,065 Times in 536 Posts
I think Goldblade were supporting at the gig reviewed by the OP. Now they are a mighty fine band
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 07:55   #11
CRB
Trusted User

Anyone seeing them next week at Shepherds Bush ?
CRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 12:28   #12
Guest 14710
Demon Bassist

No, my wallet won't allow me.

I'll have to make do watching their new dvd again, I'm still feeling peeved that I missed them at Braintree Rock a few weeks back.

Have you heard the new album yet? I'm awaiting mine to arrive from Play.
Guest 14710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:21   #13
Guest 9967
Banned

Seeing them live at Leeds - can`t wait - The new album is very good. Check out Hugh's live triple album out in a couple of weeks.
Guest 9967 is offline   Reply With Quote