Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 06-10-2005, 09:47   #1
Guest 39548
Trusted User

Freezing Computer

Every so often my PC will freeze.
Mouse locks up...sometimes disappears and I have to reboot.
Can happen at any time doing anything...surfing..middle of writing e-mail etc
When I try to reboot it fails to load XP Pro and stalls on the Windows logo screen.
I have to reboot and switch off...then take out cordless keyboard and mouse....put in corded ones.
Switch on PC...get Windows failed to load etc....have to go to Last Good Configuration...then it boots up ok.
Shut down....put cordless mouse & keyboard back in...boot up and all ok...until the next time it happens!
Done Virus and Spyware checks and all ok.
Sometimes it can be fine for a week or more...sometimes 2 or 3 times a week.
What's causing this?
Guest 39548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 20:02   #2
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,846 Times in 643 Posts
Is it a cheapo cordless keyboard and mouse?
I'd get a corded keyboard / mouse and try it for a week or so, to see if it is the keyboard.
Usually, locking problems are caused either by overheating, power supply glitches, or something loose inside (eg, the memory sticks are ever-so-slightly out of the socket, so when they get warm, they expand and pop out the socket ... hang)
It could be dead batteries in the wireless kit? When they get low, they send crap back to the PC, which doesn't know what to do (or the driver doesn't) and so keels over.
Is it an old installation? It could just be Windows on its last legs - a dodgy driver or rogue piece of software.

Are you all patched up? Windows update? I note you're anti-virused and updated.
Are your messenger / alerter services running? Could be a rogue RPC request thingy coming through (though if you're on XP, and you've the firewall up, that should (I think) block that)
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:04   #3
Guest 3971
Agent X

Try going to the manufacturers site and download the latest drivers/software for the cordless keyboard and mouse. See if that helps...

Cheers
Ace
Guest 3971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 14:32   #4
Guest 33684
Trusted User

FWIW in Windows XP Pro there should be something called an Event Viewer, it basically catalogues what your computer does from the time you boot up to shutdown. If you goto Start\Settings\Control Panel\Administrative Tools - there should be a shortcut to Event Viewer. You can then just hilight either Application\Security\System and be able to determine where the error lies. Be aware however, it's all a little bit cryptic.

You should be able to double click on an entry in the right side column, a small dialogue box shall popup with an Event ID number and a url which leads to microsoft.com\events. If you follow that url, it should give you a clue as to what if anything is happening.

HTH
Guest 33684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 22:56   #5
Guest 39548
Trusted User

It's a Labtec cordless desktop set.Had it about 2 years now.
I suspect it's a bit of software but I'll have a look at the Event Viewer.
It happened this morning....pressed restart button and loaded up 1st time...strange PC!
Thanks for the replies
Old 07-10-2005, 23:01   #6
Guest 39548
Trusted User

Just checked and the Errors are showing as disk and atapi.
What does this mean?
Old 08-10-2005, 02:50   #7
Guest 33684
Trusted User

It's the EventID portion that is important, as I said you should be able to double click the entries in the right side panel and a dialogue box will pop up. It will have the EventID like this one you can then goto the url in the bottom, click that and it takes you to microsoft. They should then have a solution at the bottom of the page.

If that doesn't work. Then put the EventID into google.com and see what it turns up. There's usually someone who has faced the same issue out there somewhere. It's just a case of finding out what they did to solve the problem. This site is full of knowledgeable people, but even they won't be able to determine what the problem is unless you include the EvenID's in your posts as well as any additional information as to be quite honest with you, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack when dealing with WinXP pro.
Guest 33684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 21:52   #8
Guest 39548
Trusted User

Coming up with Controller error on Hard Drive and parity error
Old 08-10-2005, 22:24   #9
dnaddison
Trusted User

Sounds like the hard drive is on it's way out. If you know the hard drive make, go to the makers website and download their hard drive checker utility. Should tell you one way or the other.
dnaddison is offline   Reply With Quote