Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 26-09-2005, 16:50   #61
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooseUK
I don't know if I'm more angry with Warner/Universal for such a shoddy way to treat the R2 market...
In defence of Warners, it's hardly their fault if the UK license belongs to - gulp - Universal; in fact, it does look as if Warners have done the decent thing and licensed/loaned/sold Universal their transfer (though I'll believe that when I see a review), which is not the case with a number of other RKO movies, including Citizen Kane.

BTW, Zeta Minor has a (very small) shot of the proposed artwork; can it get any worse for R2 fans?
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2005, 18:31   #62
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

thanks for the update.

Order cancelled !
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2005, 19:11   #63
Guest 47807
Trusted User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson

Now we know why the R2 is being punted out so cheaply...
Did I say "I told you so?"
Guest 47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2005, 19:26   #64
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas R
Did I say "I told you so?"
Ooh, probably, but it does no harm to tell me again
Old 26-09-2005, 19:51   #65
Guest 31532
Hmmm!

Quote:

BTW, Zeta Minor has a (very small) shot of the proposed artwork; can it get any worse for R2 fans?
I think the artwork as well as the contents of the R2 - alone, should be enough reason for anyone to cancel their orders. Truly dreadful!
Guest 31532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2005, 19:52   #66
Spectre07
Trusted User

The awful awful R2 cover art:

Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2005, 19:57   #67
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Looks very suitable for King Kong on the gameboy.

Old 26-09-2005, 20:03   #68
Spectre07
Trusted User

hmmm...decisions...decisions...

Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2005, 20:17   #69
Guest 36058
T.C.B. Baby!

I could not find a link to this site in the thread, so here's the OFFICIAL KING KONG DVD SITE
Not much to see yet, but worth keeping an eye open for updates.
Guest 36058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2005, 20:56   #70
Guest 31532
Hmmm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESTALKALOT
I could not find a link to this site in the thread, so here's the OFFICIAL KING KONG DVD SITE
Not much to see yet, but worth keeping an eye open for updates.

Thanks for the link!
Old 26-09-2005, 20:59   #71
Guest 31532
Hmmm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre07
hmmm...decisions...decisions...

Even the old R2 disc cover was better than the new one! It's not too much of a tough choice deciding which has the best cover really.
Old 26-09-2005, 21:24   #72
Guest 13065
Trusted User

I am going for R1
Guest 13065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2005, 22:11   #73
Guest 5804
Trusted User

Considering that cover and the added bonus of a colourised version (gotta be better then mono!), the R2 Universal is a must buy!!!

ah. hang on a mo....
Guest 5804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 08:22   #74
Guest 3460
fallen english gent

Quote:
In defence of Warners, it's hardly their fault if the UK license belongs to - gulp - Universal; in fact, it does look as if Warners have done the decent thing and licensed/loaned/sold Universal their transfer (though I'll believe that when I see a review), which is not the case with a number of other RKO movies, including Citizen Kane.

yes, true, that was a somewhat harsh and unfair comment on Warners (who's R2 DVDs that I own have generally been rather good) - my only defence is that I wrote it on a Monday morning with a hangove, feeling kinda gnarly!!! I have no qualms ordering the superior R1 set...

Agree about the artwork - shocking, truly shocking. I'm kinda amazed that artists that 'talented' get professional work (ok... I'm no Van Gogh myself...)
Guest 3460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 12:59   #75
Guest 2748
Trusted User

Quote:
To answer an earlier question; from Davis DVD:

A lot of people have been asking about Paramount's upcoming November 22nd release of the 1976 King Kong remake (the one with Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange). Specifically, if this release will be a special edition with deleted scenes, commentary, etc. And unfortunately, the answer is no. This is the same disc that is currently available, only repackaged with a new cover. Be sure to check out newly posted back cover art for this and the 1933 original in our gallery section.

And those back covers:

King Kong SE (1933) (ain't that purty?)
King Kong (1976)

Flip that. I was waiting on this aswell. Looks like I'll have to get the French 2 discer then. I wonder if the Dune discs workaround for avoiding locked French subs will work (select French language then when the film starts switch to English language via the handset)?
Guest 2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2005, 13:05   #76
anephric
Kidney Thief

If you can switch 'em off, they ain't forced, is they?

Last edited by anephric; 27-09-2005 at 13:06.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2005, 08:29   #77
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Good news from The Bits:

(Warners) previously announced DVD release of The Last Days of Pompeii, which had been set for release on 11/22, WILL be happening as expected. There was some concern that it might have been delayed, but we've confirmed with the studio that it's still on.
Old 28-09-2005, 16:55   #78
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Everybody Konga...

I mentioned this in 'Upcoming' but worth a shout here as Sony does its level best to leap aboard the big ape band wagon. From DVD Drive-in:

Formerly issued as a “Midnite Movie” on VHS, MGM/Sony will release the British AIP monster epic KONGA as a stand-alone DVD on December 6. Most likely being released in the wake of the new KING KONG, the film stars Michael Gough (HORROR HOSPITAL) and was produced by the legendary Herman Cohen (TROG). KONGA will be released with a non-anamorphic 1.66:1 transfer and retail for $14.94.
Old 29-09-2005, 16:55   #79
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Slightly OT, but this caught my eye at the TCM website:

Living Dangerously: The Adventures of Merian C. Cooper, Creator of King Kong

"This boisterous, chest-thumping biography of film pioneer Cooper (1893-1973), producer-director of the original 1933 film, is certain to attract attention. Vaz (The Art of the Incredibles; etc.) captures the mythic magic of Cooper's cinematic creations, and Cooper himself emerges as an equally legendary character...The charismatic Cooper, 'a man living his own movie,' is no longer an obscure, remote figure, thanks to Vaz's exhaustive research and skillful writing."
- Publishers Weekly

"Merian C. Cooper's life reads like an adventure novel, as Mark Vaz proves perfectly with LIVING DANGEROUSLY."
- Ray Bradbury

Mark Cotta Vaz's LIVING DANGEROUSLY: The Adventures of Merian C. Cooper, Creator of King Kong (Villard Books Hardcover) is the story of legendary King Kong creator Merian C. Cooper-explorer, war hero, filmmaker, and cinema pioneer-who led a life as epic and exotic as his movies. King Kong is back in theaters this fall, continuing its legacy as one of the most famous screen icons of all time, but Cooper's story is far more than the tale of this mythical ape. "Pictures cannot be made from an executive's desk," Cooper once declared, and he did more than talk the talk—he walked the walk to the far corners of the globe, with a motion picture camera in tow, in an era when those corners were truly unknown, untamed, and unforgiving.

Cooper's place in history is assured, thanks not only to the monstrous gorilla from Skull Island, but because the story of Kong's creator is even bigger and bolder than the beast he made into a cultural icon. Spellbound since boyhood by tales of life-threatening adventure and exotic locales, Cooper plunged again and again into harrowing expeditions that took him to places not yet civilized by modern man. Following his service as one of the first bomber pilots in World War I, Cooper helped form the famous Kosciuszko Squadron in battle-torn Poland. He then turned his attention to producing documentary films that chronicled his hair-raising encounters with savage warriors, man-eating tigers, nomadic tribes, and elephant stampedes.

In addition to producing King Kong, Cooper was the first to team Fred Astaire with Ginger Rogers, arranged Katharine Hepburn's screen test, collaborated with John Ford on Hollywood's greatest Westerns, and then changed the face of film forever with Cinerama, the original "virtual reality." He returned to military service during World War II, serving with General Claire Chennault in China, flying missions into the heart of enemy territory.

LIVING DANGEROUSLY is a stunning tribute to a two-fisted visionary who packed a multitude of lifetimes into eighty remarkable years. The first comprehensive biography of this unique man and his amazing time, it's the tale of someone whose greatest desire was always to be living dangerously.

Living Dangerously: The Adventures of Merian C. Cooper, Creator of King Kong is available through most major book store chains and online book sellers.

One for Christmas list? Available at Amazon here.
Old 06-10-2005, 15:25   #80
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Does anyone know where i can get a trailer for King Kong (1933) ? I just watched the 2005 version trailer and has whetted my appetite for some ape action. I've tried a place called 'videodetective' but doesnt want to work.