Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 09-12-2005, 18:51   #301
Celtic
Trusted User

it seems our American friends have a different model -

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4329488

Last edited by Celtic; 09-12-2005 at 18:52.
Celtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 15:57   #302
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

I've just watched - twice - Mighty Joe Young. Once on my own - and all the reports are 100% correct, it's a fabulous print and transfer, and to see the tinted scene for the first time was a blast. The second time was with my 13-year-old boy, who, as usual, scoffed, sat down reluctantly, thoroughly enjoyed himself and wasn't afraid to say so. Gives me a terrific kick when that happens...

Philip French, in today's Oberver gives the thumbs up to the 'Kong' remake with the qualification that '...there is something unreal about the CGI reality that is less haunting and affecting than the stop motion effects of the 1933 film.' That's an observation which I think is true about CGI in general; the more real it becomes, the more detached it seems at an emotional level - now why is that?

Last edited by John Hodson; 12-12-2005 at 08:47.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 16:25   #303
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Philip French, in today's Oberver gives the thumbs up to the 'Kong' remake with the qualification that '...there is something unreal about the CGI reality that is less haunting and affecting than the stop motion effects of the 1933 film.' That's an observation which I think is true about CGI in general; the more real it becomes, the more detached it seems at an emotional level - now why is that?
I've argued about the merits of CGI with friends many times. Every time someone goes on about how the effects in LotR are amazing, I try and understand what it is they see in it, because I just can't buy it. It may look superficially "real", but deep down inside me, that little switch marked "suspension of disbelief" gets flicked off every time I see CGI. Computerised Yoda? Looks godawful to me; I'll take the puppet any day of the week. The CGI Yoda may look "real", but the puppet actually exists, it's physically there, and I can buy the illusion, even if it's not 100% convincing. Same with the 1933 Kong. The new one just leaves me cold.
Oh, for some "traditional" SFX in films these days .... imagine Red River filmed today - that shot panning around Wayne et al, in the middle of their huge cattle herd as they're about to start the drive - today it'd be CGI cattle as far as the eye can see.
Guest 52145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 19:17   #304
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Just got around to watching the original King Kong DVD - it's quite nice - not amazing like Mighty Joe Young or The Son of Kong in terms of its image quality, but still, pretty spiffy looking. The film remains extremely entertaining. I don't have much interest in the new version, but I did watch the '76 version directly after the original, and it's amazing how bad that film actually is.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 20:10   #305
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

I think the crucial thing a lot of filmmakers forget about CGI, or indeed stop-motion, is that it's not how realistic the computer or clay models are, but how good their performances are that makes them "real" to an audience. That's why I always wince when I see criticism of CGI or whatever based on stills or teaser trailers. It's also one thing that Willis O'Brien seemed to be very aware of - as of course have animators from Harryhausen to Nick Park. I'm still hoping that the new Kong remake can recreate both the empathy and the WOW factor of the original - Weta studios can certainly demonstrate a love for the source material - based on the documentary on the King Kong SE - and that's a large part of the battle won.
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 20:38   #306
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Did anyone catch Film 2005 with Wossy last week ? Had a nice feature on special effects and an interview with Ray Harryhausen, nice little tribute to him there plus Clash of the Titans is on TV next weekend.

Also has anyone got his new book The Art of Ray HarryHausen ?
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 23:41   #307
Guest 33812
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Interesting. The problem I have with the new Kong is that it looks real, far too real. That may sound daft, but the '33 Kong is like something from a nightmare. Even the way he moved, that dreamlike stop-start jerky motion terrified me as a kid and to a certain extent it still does. The new Kong is a remarkable creation, it's almost photorealistic, but not quite, and that's the problem with CGI. By making a special effect hyper-realistic it's more noticeable when the simulation fails, the illusion is shattered and puff, the magic is gone.

I'm still waiting for the Kong Collection to ship, the waiting is killing me. At least Kong was on UKGold yesterday and that cheered me up a little bit. There's been a lot written about Kong over the years. That it's racist, sexist, blah, blah, blah. I have to say after watching the natives dancing about in their straw skirts and coconut bras that they might have a point. Kong isn't exactly PC but it's still terrifically entertaining.

BTW, I still can't believe that Bruce Cabot gets the girl, that's so unfair, he's like a charisma free Indiana Jones and much more apelike than Kong. Pfft. Women, eh?
Guest 33812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2005, 21:27   #308
Panavision
Cinematographer BSC

Watched the original Kong today; The first act isn't brilliant, but once we hit the island and see Kong, well, it's just mindblowing to see just how good the special effects are, not for a minute did I think it looked fake. There's something nightmarish about Kong in the film, must be the way it moves.
I was expecting a love tragic story, it didn't really come to the fore.

Kong is proof that f/x don't date.
Panavision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2005, 01:00   #309
bibmcfeck

I watched Kong form the tin (also got the box set to go trough) for the first time in years last week. I previously only remember watching it on Sky Cinema about 10 years ago.

For me the time just flew by. One hell of an entertaining film which for me stood up to its 72 years incredibly well.

Looking forward to seeing Peter Jacksons version this weekend

Last edited by bibmcfeck; 17-12-2005 at 03:14.
bibmcfeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2005, 01:13   #310
TheDot
Space Monkey

God damn you guys, all these positive reviews and those beautiful shots of the tin are making me reeeally want it.

Can get it for around Ł16 but could also get the boxset for around the same price!

Hmm....lovin all the bits and bobs so the tin is looking the more tempting.

Never seen the film, loved Jacksons version- will prob check it out on monday on BBC, lets hope the prints okay!
TheDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2005, 19:11   #311
Panavision
Cinematographer BSC

I quite enjoyed Son of Kong; goofy but the stop-motion is endearing. I really cared for the son!
Panavision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2005, 19:24   #312
Guest 13065
Trusted User

Just watched on Dutch TV, the documentary that is on the 2nd disc about Merian C Cooper.

Awesome archival footage of Fay Wray and trick shots of the Original KK, I will be buying the DVD once I finish this post.

Also weird to see the slimmed down down Peter Jackson.

Is Schlock on DVD, the film that John Landis made ?

Last edited by oscar; 18-12-2005 at 19:31.
Guest 13065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2005, 21:16   #313
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar
Is Schlock on DVD, the film that John Landis made ?
Seems there's an Anchor Bay R1, but it's thin on the ground. Loaded247 and DVD.co.uk claim to stock it, but with loooooong availability times. It's not listed on Anchor Bay's website either, so I guess it's been deleted.
Old 20-12-2005, 10:38   #314
anephric
Kidney Thief

The '76 remake of Kong is on C4 this afternoon at 13.05pm, if anyone wants to partake.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2005, 10:55   #315
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

I've got a date with it. Gotta see if it's as bad as everyone says ...
Old 20-12-2005, 11:23   #316
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal
I've got a date with it. Gotta see if it's as bad as everyone says ...
Well, not everyone; you won't be seeing it with the expectations many had way back - treat it as an enjoyable romp.
Old 20-12-2005, 15:58   #317
Guest 52145
Big Damn Hero

"Let's not get eaten alive on this island - bring the mosquito spray!"

Quite enjoyed Kong '76 - maybe going in with exceedingly low expectations helps . Thought it was a lot of trashy fun, particularly the first 2 acts, up until they get back to NYC, when I thought the effects went, er, a bit downhill - "GASP! in wonder as man-in-a-monkey-suit climbs a model WTC!". Still, as a lazy afternoon's viewing it was fine, Ms Lange is easy on the eyes, and nice JB score too.
Old 26-12-2005, 20:52   #318
Guest 47984
Banned

Watched some of King Kong Lives yesterday. The 1986 sequel to the 76 Kong. You can imagine....
Guest 47984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2005, 21:54   #319
Spectre07
Trusted User

I watched King Kong the other day and was puzzled not to see the 'Spider pit' scene. Where is that? or did I imagine reading about it in this thread?
Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2005, 22:26   #320
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

It was recreated, using a mixture of contemporary stills, story boards and the script, and the story of how it was done and the finished scene itself (topped and tailed with footage from 'Kong' so you can how the whole would fit together) is included in the extras on disc two. But Jackson and co. decided - quite rightly - not to insert the recreation in the film itself. It's a very impressive achievement given the limitations of time and budget, but as Jackson says, it was just a bit of fan boy fun that will do until, if, the real footage turns up.

Just search for 'spider' using the 'Search this Thread' facility and you'll see numerous references to it.