Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-11-2005, 10:10   #221
Guest 53930
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice john, thanks

I'll definately be buying MJY, not too bothered by SOK though...
Guest 53930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2005, 04:48   #222
Guest 53019
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,216
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got through with The Son of Kong (Son of Kong on the box art) and Mighty Joe Young. While I find the Savant's comments about the transfers fine, I think his reviews of the films are, well, Savant-like.

Mighty Joe Young is just terrifically entertaining, and it looks absolutely superb on this DVD, complete with its tinted sequence. I like Terry Moore lots better than Savant, and everyone else acquits themselves nicely. The show does belong, however, to Mr. Joseph Young of Africa, and he is splendid beyond belief. Just a wonderful film from start to finish.

First time seeing The Son of Kong - I had no idea it was a comedy. The Kin of Kong doesn't make his first appearance until forty-five minute into this sixty-nine minute film. I liked the girl, I always like Robert Armstrong, and it certainly moves right along - but it's shockingly without heft - just a lighthearted look at a lovable dope of a son of Kong. Everything just feels perfunctory - and I'm a bit baffled by the in-depth wackiness of the Savant's review. However, the transfer is perfection - were it only that the other RKO titles that Warners has been issuing looked this good - alas, they don't.
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2005, 09:03   #223
John Hodson
Out to lunch...
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bolton, Lancashire
Posts: 12,507
Thanks: 9
Thanked 55 Times in 4 Posts
DVD Beaver has plenty of screencaps of The Last Days of Pompeii.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2005, 10:30   #224
KeyserSoze
Trusted User
 
KeyserSoze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: London
Posts: 12,795
Thanks: 829
Thanked 464 Times in 249 Posts
King Kong (1933) DVDTimes Review

Last edited by KeyserSoze; 29-11-2005 at 11:53.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2005, 10:44   #225
John Hodson
Out to lunch...
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bolton, Lancashire
Posts: 12,507
Thanks: 9
Thanked 55 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze
Small OT rant; I'm puzzled as to why most DVD Times reviewers can't be bothered to take a few seconds to nip in here to promote their reviews of classic films? Are they incredibly shy? Do they assume that all forum visitors read DVD Times?

There are the honourable exceptions, but just as we must do our bit and read the DVD Times reviews, I'd like to think that, particularly reviewers of classic films, could support this forum and post news of their efforts in the appropriate threads, or make new ones.

Come on chaps, this forum would welcome you, your reviews and your views, with open arms.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2005, 11:55   #226
KeyserSoze
Trusted User
 
KeyserSoze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: London
Posts: 12,795
Thanks: 829
Thanked 464 Times in 249 Posts
Yeah come on guys, share your wealth.

I agree. Although DVDF is official forums for DVDTimes, I admit i don't visit Times on a regular basis.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2005, 21:13   #227
Spectre07
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: None Bothered
Posts: 5,806
Thanks: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 7 Posts
My tin arrived today, I'm taking friday off.
Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 01:03   #228
Guest 20622
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 252
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think some of us were put off some months/years ago when the Forums became awash with us and others promoting reviews and threads consisting of little but Times, Reviewer, etc. not discussing the film but simply linking to reviews. It certainly appeared as though the Forums people were fed up with it - there was a requirement at one time that we had to provide a synopsis of the review as well as the link - so we kind of stopped. At least I did for those reasons and I would assume others did as well. That, however, has died down in recent months so now is probably a good time to try to sneak those links in again.

Plus - and this is more recent - many of those writing for Times have come in direct and are not users of the Forums. Where we used to have a Contributor's Forum hidden in here, we don't any more - it's been moved to another server - so many of the Times reviewers are not Forums users at all.

Certainly, I now try to come in here as over the last few months, I've realised that you're kind of welcoming to me pimping my reviews and I'm less likely to get hassled about the review, which I get enough of on Times.
Guest 20622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 01:56   #229
TheDot
Space Monkey
 
TheDot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,778
Thanks: 40
Thanked 122 Times in 24 Posts
Wheres the cheapest for the tin people- im really tempted to get this, looks gorgeous
TheDot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 08:49   #230
John Hodson
Out to lunch...
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bolton, Lancashire
Posts: 12,507
Thanks: 9
Thanked 55 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emccusker
I think some of us were put off some months/years ago when the Forums became awash with us and others promoting reviews and threads consisting of little but Times, Reviewer, etc. not discussing the film but simply linking to reviews. It certainly appeared as though the Forums people were fed up with it - there was a requirement at one time that we had to provide a synopsis of the review as well as the link - so we kind of stopped. At least I did for those reasons and I would assume others did as well. That, however, has died down in recent months so now is probably a good time to try to sneak those links in again.

Plus - and this is more recent - many of those writing for Times have come in direct and are not users of the Forums. Where we used to have a Contributor's Forum hidden in here, we don't any more - it's been moved to another server - so many of the Times reviewers are not Forums users at all.

Certainly, I now try to come in here as over the last few months, I've realised that you're kind of welcoming to me pimping my reviews and I'm less likely to get hassled about the review, which I get enough of on Times.
Ooo-er - Eamonn, you know that your reviews are a welcome contribution to films or themes under discussion (I was kinda hoping you'd slip your 'The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe' review into the 'Classic Christmas Films' thread), and hopefully creating new threads will stimulate discussion of movies that currently aren't being discussed.

What I can't promise is that, certainly on my part, you won't receive any criticism. I've bitten my tongue with certain Times reviews, partly out of loyalty to 'our' site, partly because, on occasion, IMHO the reviewer is clearly out of his depth, or is simply guilty of poor prose - that's a personal view, and I tend to keep my counsel on those occasions...mostly. I can't think of any review of yours that I've had issues with (ok, well, one...and then only slightly ), but I can't promise you won't be invited into debate (but you'll never be 'hassled', by me at least). Surely that's one of the reasons the forum is here?

Meanwhile the tin; I think I'm right in saying the cheapest place currently for the tin is CD Wow at £17.50 through the affiliate link.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 09:19   #231
Guest 45586
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 912
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I must say, this Tin Thing is an article to behold. In this day and age of short cuts, where the motivation is "give as little as you can for as much as you dare," this is a heartening effort from Warner Bros. I wonder if they will they have the same thing on sale in the UK, having decided to fillet the Garbo collection for the loyal allies in Bush's great crusade.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 10:33   #232
Guest 53930
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah this tin is so lovely. Just recieved mine this morning from CD WOW .

Think i'll watch the film first ( havn't seen it in years!), then the extras.
It's such a pity that i can't order this poster, i wouldn't mind owning a copy of that

PLEASE REMEMBER TO AFFILIATE LINKS! THIS FORUM IS BY FAR THE WORST FOR PEOPLE NOT BOTHERING!

Last edited by Harsin; 30-11-2005 at 10:38. Reason: affiliated link
Guest 53930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 11:15   #233
Guest 53930
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh brother.........sorry guy's
Guest 53930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 13:06   #234
Guest 45586
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 912
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The most amazing thing, thus far in my viewing, is the sight of Peter Jackson in the mighty documentary. It's as if Orson Welles went on a diet and now looks like . . . Woody Allen. Phew, that ape epic sure has taken the stuffing out of him.
Guest 45586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 18:58   #235
John Hodson
Out to lunch...
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bolton, Lancashire
Posts: 12,507
Thanks: 9
Thanked 55 Times in 4 Posts
Apologies if this has been mentioned recently; Ezy DVD is saying that their exclusive R4 LE (limited to 5000) tin will now be available March - see here - the caveats are that it may not contain all the R1 extras, and where are they going to whack that God-awful R4 ratings logo (the artwork shown is for the R1). Still, it's working out at around £11.60 plus shipping...
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 21:42   #236
Guest 20622
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 252
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
Ooo-er - Eamonn, you know that your reviews are a welcome contribution to films or themes under discussion (I was kinda hoping you'd slip your 'The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe' review into the 'Classic Christmas Films' thread), and hopefully creating new threads will stimulate discussion of movies that currently aren't being discussed.
Sorry...forgot that one. And it seems such an obvious one now that you mention it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
What I can't promise is that, certainly on my part, you won't receive any criticism. I've bitten my tongue with certain Times reviews, partly out of loyalty to 'our' site, partly because, on occasion, IMHO the reviewer is clearly out of his depth, or is simply guilty of poor prose - that's a personal view, and I tend to keep my counsel on those occasions...mostly. I can't think of any review of yours that I've had issues with (ok, well, one...and then only slightly ), but I can't promise you won't be invited into debate (but you'll never be 'hassled', by me at least). Surely that's one of the reasons the forum is here?
Let me guess...Ben-Hur and it being a tale of the Christ? We'll agree to differ on that but criticism is fine. In fact, it's often welcome as it shows that someone is willing to debate the review.

The hassle that I was talking about - you wouldn't get it here, to be honest - is the kind of thing you'd have seen if you were in early enough on the Space: 1999 review before Dave deleted it, although I've kept a copy of it on email, which is just an insult. Well, a couple of insults, actually.

So I'll be sticking around, though now I'm off to convince my wife that Kong through the cheapest affiliate would make a marvellous Christmas present and Boxing Day afternoon movie treat.
Guest 20622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 21:49   #237
John Hodson
Out to lunch...
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bolton, Lancashire
Posts: 12,507
Thanks: 9
Thanked 55 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emccusker
The hassle that I was talking about - you wouldn't get it here, to be honest - is the kind of thing you'd have seen if you were in early enough on the Space: 1999 review before Dave deleted it, although I've kept a copy of it on email, which is just an insult. Well, a couple of insults, actually.
That's a disgrace; in any society - and our community isn't immune - you are bound to get the odd idiot. Chin up, and keep making 'em have it...the majority of us appreciate your efforts.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2005, 23:24   #238
Guest 5804
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Manchester, England
Posts: 2,502
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen some of the feedback on the DVDTimes reviews, and there's no way I'd put one of my reviews on there (apart from the fact that mine aren't up to scratch anyway). No problem with a good debate about differing opinions on the content or technical merit (or lack of) of a DVD, but more than just the odd idiot trash the reviewer. There must be a horde of people who only read reviews to complain about them. I'm sure I did check out the Space 1999 review comments Quite a few of the reviews on DVD Times (and here on the forum) have led me to gems of films I wouldn't normally think to watch, so keep on reviewing!.

Last edited by tonytol; 30-11-2005 at 23:38.
Guest 5804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:09   #239
anephric
Kidney Thief
 
anephric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Derby, UK
Posts: 22,698
Thanks: 33
Thanked 120 Times in 76 Posts
Those Space 1999 fans... they're real bad asses.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:30   #240
new
Sand Dab
 
new's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Orpington, Kent
Posts: 7,393
Thanks: 436
Thanked 327 Times in 122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric
Those Space 1999 fans... they're real bad asses.
Actually it was a Star Trek fan having a go at the reviewer to dare to even compare the two programs together.


Still waiting for my cheap tin to turn up from Amazon.com. Most things seam to take a good 3 weeks from them these days

Last edited by new; 01-12-2005 at 12:32.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
Bruce Cabot, Ernest B. Schoedsack, Fay Wray, James Flavin, King Kong, Merion C. Cooper, Robert Armstrong, The 8th Wonder of the World, Victor Wong

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT. The time now is 19:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.qq
Copyright ©2000 - 2021 Network N Ltd.