Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 31-05-2005, 11:37   #41
Guest 26892
Carpe Diem

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

First read: http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13 for a nice look at just how much (the godlike) Alan Moore hates 'VfV' then head over to:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20348 for a (spoilered) review of the script.

For those who can't be bothered with AiCN or just wish to be mentally scarred then here is an excerpt

I weep, I really do. Will we ever see a decent adaptation of an Alan Moore story or maybe I should just accept that they are beautiful in the medium in which they have been created...
Guest 26892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 12:55   #42
Jimbo
Ooh, me emmas!!

Every Moore-created masterpiece (From Hell, League of..., Constantine) has been right royally cocked-up by Hollywood so far, I see no reason for the unbelievably tiresome Wachowski's to fare any better.

Watchmen has me intrigued (for Greengrass alone) but only until the script is leaked and it turns out to be cack or it turns they're getting Ashton Kutcher to play Rorscach
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 16:28   #43
Guest 329
Trusted User

Re spoiler: eugh.
Guest 329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 16:39   #44
Harsin

Ouch that sounds poor! Sounds like the same writers who thought the Architect secne was a good idea in Matrix Reloaded alright.

What were V's first words in the book, I have a vague memory it might have been a Shakespeare quote but it's ages since I've read it.

Last edited by Harsin; 01-06-2005 at 16:42.
Harsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 17:29   #45
Dan
Passed away :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsin
Ouch that sounds poor! Sounds like the same writers who thought the Architect secne was a good idea in Matrix Reloaded alright.
Ergo, I agree concordantly.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 18:38   #46
gavinhanly
Trusted User

Quote:

What were V's first words in the book, I have a vague memory it might have been a Shakespeare quote but it's ages since I've read it.
It was a quote from Macbeth which echoes his actions. His first words to Evey were "Me? I'm the king of the 20th century. I'm the boogeyman. The Villain. The black sheep of the family"
Old 01-06-2005, 19:45   #47
Harsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinhanly
It was a quote from Macbeth which echoes his actions. His first words to Evey were "Me? I'm the king of the 20th century. I'm the boogeyman. The Villain. The black sheep of the family"
Cheers! Well obviously the Wachowski's "Look Maw! That there fella is using lots of big words what begins with V! This film is deep!" dialogue is much better.

Edit: On the upside this thread has just made me order a load of Alan Moore stuff.

Last edited by Harsin; 01-06-2005 at 19:50.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:36   #48
Guest 38623
アトミックスープレックス

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwakeman
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

First read: http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13 for a nice look at just how much (the godlike) Alan Moore hates 'VfV' then head over to:

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20348 for a (spoilered) review of the script.

For those who can't be bothered with AiCN or just wish to be mentally scarred then here is an excerpt

I weep, I really do. Will we ever see a decent adaptation of an Alan Moore story or maybe I should just accept that they are beautiful in the medium in which they have been created...
What a couple of idiots! The Matrix must have just a fluke for them (the other two films prove that already I guess).

I'd like to see a film (or TV series) of 'top ten', but no doubt that would suffer the curse of Moore as well.

I hear Joel Silver is remaking one of my favorate cartoons as 'Mindgame' as a live action film, I hope that doesn't get buggered up as well. (maybe if the Wachowskis don't come within a mile it might still be safe).

Last edited by FLCL; 02-06-2005 at 10:39.
Guest 38623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 17:25   #49
JCTurner
Peering in your window...

For what its worth they have been filming this week around the corner from the Royal Horseguards Hotel (Embankment underground a 2 min walk away) in London.

Until last night I was staying at the RH for 5 nights - from about 8pm on the crew turned up with the usual selection of cameras, light rigs etc. Set manager etc seemed to be staying in the hotel (seen them wearing their passes etc in the lifts). Didnt see any cast members though :-(.

So if anyone is feeling nosey get yourself down to embankment after
dark !

Colin
JCTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 15:47   #50
Harsin

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20371

Choice quote from AICN.

Quote:
Interestingly, everyone seems to be wearing not 'V' masks, but ones featuring the face of Guy Fawkes – the chap who tried to blow up our Parliament and the King a couple of hundred years ago.
Erm well done mate...
Old 03-06-2005, 16:10   #51
Guest 38623
アトミックスープレックス

Quote:
http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=20371

Choice quote from AICN.

Erm well done mate...
What does he think V masks are then if he reckons they arn't wearing them?
Old 03-06-2005, 16:22   #52
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

Maybe thinking of V the TV series?
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 16:43   #53
Guest 38623
アトミックスープレックス

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie angel
Maybe thinking of V the TV series?
They wore 'human' masks.
Old 03-06-2005, 17:00   #54
Harsin

Apparently the destruction of the Houses of Parliament has been moved to the climax of the film, attacked by the mob in their V masks.

Last edited by Harsin; 03-06-2005 at 17:00.
Old 03-06-2005, 21:37   #55
Guest 38623
アトミックスープレックス

good to see they are being faithful to the moore text - garrr -

Next week - Halo Jones is from wales and goes to newport
Old 07-06-2005, 19:54   #56
Lorne.t
Trusted User

A postive slant on the screenplay from comic book resources

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=13

"JMS REVIEWS VENDETTA SCRIPT

"V For Vendetta" has continued shooting in London this week and the crowd scene with everyone in V masks and costumes has been confirmed by onlookers and photographers. Joe Michael Straczynski emailed this column with his own take on the "V For Vendetta" script and the comments made by fan reviewers at Aint It Cool last week.

Joe Michael Straczynski works for Warner Brothers, but that relationship has been a tested one. He, like Alan Moore, has refused to work with DC Comics, but currently writes the majority of his comics work for Marvel. He writes, "I saw this and though everything in me yells against getting into these things, I have got to respond.

"Understand: I work with Marvel, I have no vested interest in defending DC or Alan or anyone or anything else.

"The anonymous individual who sent AiCN his 'review' has his head well and duly up his butt. That he had a copy of the script is obvious; that he understood it, less so. There's an old saying: a book is like a mirror, if an ass peers in, you can't expect an apostle to peer out. This person clearly has no idea what's actually going on in that script despite having read it (or having it read to him). You can take anything -- ANYthing -- and by casting it in a certain light, make it sound stupid. 'Oh, and at the end of Blade Runner, there's this REALLY stupid scene where the android guy's, like, hugging a pigeon and talking about moons on fire.' It's all in how you phrase it. Making fun of something is easy.

"About a month ago, I got hold of the V script, the very same draft that this anonymous assassin cites. As a fan of Alan's work, and the V books in particular, I sat down, eager to read it.

"What I read blew my brains out through the back of my head.

"I think it's one of the smartest, sharpest, insightful and well-crafted scripts I've ever read. It's emotional, evocative, heart-rending, biting, sharp, relentless and just plain garden variety powerful. It's not just a good film, it's an *important* film, and there's a great deal of subtlety and nuance in it that was clearly lost on the idiot that read the script so he could make fun of it and stir the pot.

"So there is no 'consensus.' All you've got is one anonymous guy who takes a few things out of context to make them look stupid, revealing his own mendacity and cupidity in the process. As someone who's not just written over two hundred produced scripts and read hundreds more, someone who is a fan of Alan's work, I'm telling you straight-up, with absolutely no agenda: the 'V for Vendetta' script is a work of freaking genius.

"As will be proven soon enough." "
Lorne.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 21:37   #57
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Did V ever conclude in Warrior or was it finished off in the DC reprints??

(quicker to type this than go rummage through all my comic boxes!)
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:01   #58
Guest 24565
Trusted User

Only the first two "books" were in Warrior (plus the shorts: "Vertigo" and "Vincent") - the third book only appeared in the DC series.

*edit* All of these are, of course, included in the collected version.

Last edited by bouncingjohn; 08-06-2005 at 06:03.
Guest 24565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2005, 17:18   #59
Guest 1764
Dry hair’s for squids

The fact that JMS rates it should have set the warning bells rigning loud and clear but further proof (were it needed) can be found on page 2 of this:

http://www.channel4.com/film/reviews/film.jsp?id=147176
Guest 1764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2005, 18:23   #60
Guest 26892
Carpe Diem

Yeah I just lacked the courage to put the boot in about JMS but deary me, it just gets worse. I fear that this is a film for which I shall have to pull the duvet up around my ears and just wait until it goes away...
Guest 26892 is offline   Reply With Quote