Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 09:18   #201
Guest 8751
Trusted User

there is the other factor, that good young english players are very expensive.

Look at the prices of Bent and Hargreaves.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:39   #202
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

To buy English is expensive and you never know Sven could be giving a 2 fingered salute to the English press, who gave him a hard time when he managed England.

I'm hoping that for the last year Sven has been doing his homework and thinking about the team he would put together. He could have been scouting for a year, talking to people who he trusts, getting his ideas together.

Also buying English. Why pay more for someone who's only got half the talent of someone cheaper? I was hoping for a few Englsih signings, but I'm not overly fussed.

If you look over at Old Trafford, the flair players are not English bought, with the exception of Rooney who cost an absolute fortune (Wasn't he the most expensive teenager at he time)? Manchester City couldn't attract players of that calibre (Yet )
Old 07-08-2007, 10:47   #203
Toge
North London is red

How is your back 4 gonna look like this season?

Corluka (WP) Dunne Richards Garrido?
Old 07-08-2007, 11:30   #204
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Not sure who will start, will have a better idea after the West Hame game.

Richards could be right back or centre half. Richards will be a starter, but where I don't know,it depends on how much Sven rates Vedran Corluka, and whether or no he can play right back.

Ball or Garrido could be left back. Ball is banned for the first couple of games of the season after his stamp on Ronaldo. So Garrido will get first shot at Left Back, but I've not seen enough of him to tell you he's better than Ball, who was excellent for us last season.

To add to that mix Nedum Onuoha is waiting in the wings and will be an excellent centre half, but is injury prone. So who will be the main back 4 will sort itself out by October, but Dunne and Richards are in for deffo in my opinion.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:54   #205
Fever Dawg
Genetically different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citysmith View Post

Also buying English. Why pay more for someone who's only got half the talent of someone cheaper?
Hang on a minute .... for nearly every one of these signings you have said "Don't know much about him" - So how can you say that they double the talent?

Old 07-08-2007, 12:15   #206
HBK757
Trusted User

I think Citysmith is going on the old "Brazilian or Argie vs an English player". 95% of the time, in terms of natural talent and skill on the ball, our players aren't on the same planet.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:57   #207
Fever Dawg
Genetically different

I'm glad you said 95% there or else I'd have pulled Kleberson out of the hat.
Old 07-08-2007, 13:07   #208
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK757 View Post
I think Citysmith is going on the old "Brazilian or Argie vs an English player". 95% of the time, in terms of natural talent and skill on the ball, our players aren't on the same planet.
There is that and also if Sven feels that he can buy an English player who is better value for money, wouldn't he surely buy him?

You have to trust the man in charge. Yes, I don't know much about the players that Sven has bought, but he does know the English game (English players) arguably better than anyone.

At the end of the day, Sven is taking a lot of flak in the English media for not buying Englsih, but his job isn't to buy English, but to do his best for Manchester City Football Club. So why the flak, I've no idea.

The likes of John Barnes are just trying to get in the media with their comments
Old 07-08-2007, 20:03   #209
Guest 20043
Trusted User

Bianchi is gonna be the man you lot will be cheering at the end of the coming season..............

If you can get Bojinov to play naything liek the talent he can be ( and had the likes of juve intrested) you will be laughing..........

Looks liek the bresciano thing is off http://www.channel4.com/sport/footba...lia/aug7m.html
Old 07-08-2007, 20:06   #210
Guest 10592
Come along, Pond.

Quote:
I'm hoping that for the last year Sven has been doing his homework and thinking about the team he would put together. He could have been scouting for a year, talking to people who he trusts, getting his ideas together.
Isn't he on record as saying that he's only seen most of these players in videos?
Old 10-08-2007, 20:03   #211
hailesy
Anyone for Coffee?

Trevor Sinclair.

What a legend

Seen him play in all pre season games for Cardiff. Absolute Class.

Couldn't believe he was 34 more like going on 24.

Pure Quality.

Mark
Old 10-08-2007, 20:14   #212
andybhoy
Trusted User

Quote:
The likes of John Barnes are just trying to get in the media with their comments
Is John Barnes complaining that Sven isn't buying English and is using videos rather than seeing them?

http://www.ntvcelticfanzine.com/fare...fwlscheidt.htm

This piece of Scheidt was John Barnes doing - 5,6m on a player who was so poor, he made Ali Dia look like a prospect. All on the basis of a video.

He's also part of the reason why JB will probably never manage again, the sack of ****.
Old 11-08-2007, 19:42   #213
Guest 16989
Trusted User

Watched the Hammers game on snidey satellite - quick summary...

City looked surprisingly good considering the number of debutants and how little time they have had to 'gel'.

First half hour West Ham couldn't live with the pace and one touch stuff City were playing. Great skill and pace from Elano for the first goal, and a nice bit of poaching from Rolandinho. 15 minutes either side of half time West Ham upped it, but I was never really worried.

Quickly go through the debutants:

Kasper Schmeichel - Dodgy on crosses, not much to do, looks like he has the potential to live up to his name. His kicking is phenomenal

Garrido - I thought he played well (as did the whole back four) - perhaps more convincing going forward than defending, but impressive in both aspects.

Corluka - Faded badly in the second half, but for the hour he was at full steam he looked like a monster. Huge, quick, agile - great buy

Petrov - A real crowd pleasing dribbling winger, although I thought he tried too hard in the first half hour, shooting on sight a little too much. When he settles he could be a firm favourite

Elano - Could easily be our best player since Ali Bernabia Watching him burn past Upson for Bianchi's goal was a sight for (very) sore eyes - we had NOTHING like that under Pearce.

Geovanni - Scored one, unlucky not to have two in an impressive cameo. I know we need to keep some kind of roots, but I would bin Ireland for him to start on Wednesday night against Derby

Bianchi - Up for it and showed a poacher's instinct. Could have scored more. Had to work too hard on his own up front. Assume we will be 4-4-2 on Wednesday with Bojinov alongside him. Still think we need another striker, especially if Corradi & Samaras are allowed to leave!

Bojinov - Didn't really have enough time to make an impact (although that didn't stop Geovanni!) - judgement reserved, although I know he is highly rated and said to be in the Shrek mould of striker.

No sign of Gelson Fernandes which was disappointing. Looking forward to seeing him.

Sven says we will have a keeper in either Sunday or Monday. Can only imagine this will be Marco Amelia or the French number two whose name escapes me. I think it will be Amelia. I would like us to add another striker and another midfielder (Manuel Fernandes?) and I reckon (I will stick my neck out) that we could be looking at a serious challenge for a European spot this season!

Edit: Forgot to say, Dunney and Micah Richards were frighteningly solid at the back!

Last edited by mrwriter; 11-08-2007 at 19:43.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:19   #214
Toge
North London is red

french no2? laundreu? he only moved to psg recently. Amelia and Isakson is just stupidly good.

I had made a prediction that your team would do well - it certainly does on FM07 lol
Old 12-08-2007, 06:56   #215
Guest 16989
Trusted User

That's the fella... We were linked with him last week...

Would prefer Amelia myself. World Cup Winner and all that

We'll have two quality keepers and two real hot prospects for the future in Kasper and Joe Hart - can't see us hanging on to all four!
Old 12-08-2007, 07:46   #216
Guest 16989
Trusted User

Music to a City fan's ears

SMILING Sven-Goran Eriksson labelled his critics "stupid" after he masterminded a 2-0 Manchester City win at West Ham.

Eriksson had admitted that he had not seen some of the eight players he signed in the summer in a £40million spree funded by controversial new City owner, former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, play many live games.

But two of them, £8.8million Italian striker Rolando Bianchi and free transfer Brazilian Geovanni, scored the goals which demolished dismal Hammers - and left the Upton Park fans applauding Eriksson.

Eriksson said: "It can only be stupid people who say I would sign players I did not know anything about.

"Okay, I haven't seen all of them play nine or 10 times but I have big scouting staff at the club and I have as many videos as I need to watch.

"I've always signed good football players. And with these ones, some are young and for the future and some, like (Martin) Petrov and Elano, are more experienced."

It was Elano, another Brazilian who cost £8million from Ukraine's Shakhtar Donetsk, who starred in City's stylish performance as their new-look team - with eight debut-makers - repeated the win they had at West Ham last December and doubled the scoreline.

He made a storming run and cross for Bianchi's 18th-minute opener and often ran West Ham ragged in his support striker role.

Strike

But he had been substituted when compatriot Geovanni clinched the three points with a rifling strike three minutes from time.

Eriksson, brushing off questions about whether he enjoyed club football more than his ill-fated England reign, declared: "England is history for me today. I don't think I had a player like Elano with England.

"We are playing a different way with Manchester City. It is a big club and the aim is to make it much better.

"The owner has not asked me to win the Premier League - not this season anyway - or get into Europe, but we will see where we are when the squad is fully ready."

Eriksson added: "I don't think I have anything to prove in English football, although at the start of a season everybody must prove they are the right man in the right place.

"I am delighted, of course, with the way we have started. I enjoy the club job more between matches than I did with England between matches. I enjoy being on the training field and in the dressing room.

"But Jose Mourinho can still have all the headlines as far as I'm concerned. My job is to improve the club.
Old 12-08-2007, 21:59   #217
Guest 20043
Trusted User

http://www.channel4.com/sport/footba...ia/aug12m.html

Im hoping for another bianchi goal midweek for my fantasy team w00t w00t
Old 13-08-2007, 08:08   #218
Guest 16989
Trusted User

Fantasy leaguers would do well to pick up a City defender or two or maybe a keeper, as we looked very solid at the back...

Micah Richards has the potential to be England centre half for many years to come. The kid is a monster and getting better and better. Sven has been quoted as saying he thinks he's better than Sol Campbell already, and he's only 19!
Old 13-08-2007, 10:36   #219
Guest 16989
Trusted User

Rumours that we've agreed a fee for Antonio Cassano

Bit of a nutter no doubt, but a class player! Exciting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfihrDUO6-M
Old 13-08-2007, 12:25   #220
Tob
Trusted User

Elano's run for your first goal was quality, he went past Upson like he wasn't there. Almost Kaka-esque!
Closed Thread