Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 03-10-2002, 13:50   #1
Guest 21769
Trusted User

Final Academy Documents

Picked this Burroughs DVD up for under Ten notes and it's a good job too. I would be very upset to pay more for it considering the poor AV quality. The content itself is great work but rendered almost worthless due to the quality. The sound is particularly bad, LPCM according to my player. What does LPCM mean and does it explain why the sound is so bad?
Guest 21769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 14:14   #2
Guest 345
Banned

"...and it's a good job too..."

...except for "the poor AV quality. The content itself is great work but rendered almost worthless due to the quality. The sound is particularly bad..."

...I'm thoroughly confused now... is it good, or is it bad, or is it bad but content-wise good?...

...btw: is "Final Academy Documents" the title of the disc? Is this a documentary about William S. Burroughs?...

..."LPCM" (Linear Pulse Code Modulation) is the other "and/or" type of soundtrack (besides multi-channel Dolby Digital and/or the now largely - and fortunately, IMNSHO - discarded multi-channel MPEG) allowed on DVDs - regrettably it is used far too rarely...

. . . :confused: . . .
Guest 345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 14:26   #3
Guest 21769
Trusted User

Sorry for the confusion. 'The Final Academy Documents' is the title of the DVD.
The contents (Some short films and a Burroughs reading) are all excellent in terms of their content but the picture and sound quality are not very good.

If you are Burroughs fan its worth getting (at a cheap price) but as I said, the quality is not the best.

Thanks for the LPCM explanation too.
Guest 21769 is offline   Reply With Quote