Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-11-2002, 13:27   #16
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

One thing this thread has proved to me is in how little esteem Shane is held; a pity.

It's a far, far better film than Eastwood's remake Pale Rider, with some wonderful moments, great performances and set pieces (the scene where Elisha Cook Jr. confronts Jack Palance is a true western classic), and a fabulous ending - they don't come much better IMHO.

Robert Harris was, BTW, on the home theater forums recently singing the praises of the R1 DVD, saying it was a great restoration - can anyone confirm that? I have been holding out for an SE.

While I'm here, a vote for John Huston's Red Badge of Courage, Brando's One Eyed Jacks ('You scum-sucking pig!'), and Nicholson's Missouri Breaks plus the substance-fuelled nonsense that is Goin' South.

Westerns - don'tcha just love 'em?

---
So many films, so little time...
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote