Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 19-02-2021, 15:26   #1
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Self hosting certain web services when you have a dynamic IP address ?

Hi all,

Thought I'd create a new thread rather than derailing the "Passwords..." one.

So my ISP is BT with a dynamic IP address [ technically fixed if I could guarantee not losing the connection ] and I have a domain name, mydomain.co.uk. registered and hosted at a2.

Should it be possible to set it up so that:
  1. Any requests on port 80, 443, x get sent to my dynamic IP address but the rest (in particular SMTP) is still hosted by them ?
  2. And, subsequently, be able to regularly - and automatically - check for changes to my dynamic IP address and update the setting at a2 ?

I'm sure there is a technical term, for at least (1), above, but can't remember what it is exactly and don't want to tell a2 the wrong thing.

TIA for any help.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 15:43   #2
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,658 Times in 867 Posts
Not done it myself, but you can run a script which checks your IP regularly and then use the Go Daddy API to update the DNS Record.

e.g https://www.instructables.com/Quick-...Using-GoDaddy/

No idea whether that is possible with your host.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 16:05   #3
Kryten
Administrator

mx records (used for routing email) are separate from other DNS records (e.g. A records). You cannot do this by port, but my record type.

Then you would need a dynamic DNS provider that can update your IP to DNS record. I use Google Domains and this works fine for me.

EDIT: You may also want to check with ISP as several are known to block certain ports from being sent to home users (e.g. 80.443 etc) to prevent people running websites at home.
Old 19-02-2021, 16:19   #4
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
Not done it myself, but you can run a script which checks your IP regularly and then use the Go Daddy API to update the DNS Record.

e.g https://www.instructables.com/Quick-...Using-GoDaddy/

No idea whether that is possible with your host.
Thanks - not sure a2 is that clever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryten View Post
mx records (used for routing email) are separate from other DNS records (e.g. A records). You cannot do this by port, but my record type.

Then you would need a dynamic DNS provider that can update your IP to DNS record. I use Google Domains and this works fine for me.

EDIT: You may also want to check with ISP as several are known to block certain ports from being sent to home users (e.g. 80.443 etc) to prevent people running websites at home.
So, in theory either a2 would need to allow me to (a) change the A record to point to my external NAT IP and (b) update the A record programmatically ... or ... I just change the A record to point to Google Domains and then programmatically update that ?

Also, it looks my TP-link router supports DDNS so that means I just need to set that up and create an A record, at a2, to point to my DDNS domain name. Yes ?

And either way - to all extents, and purposes, my domain name will still appear as mydomain.co.uk ?

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 19-02-2021 at 16:28.
Old 20-02-2021, 10:38   #5
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Thought about this again overnight .... as this is just for, say, a self hosted Bitwarden, Pinhole, nextcloud then it doesn't need to be running under my normal domain - a diddy free domain name will work.
Old 20-02-2021, 12:19   #6
Kryten
Administrator

So Google Domains is my DNS provider for all my personal domains, they offer Dynamic DNS updates from most standard equipment/clients (I use my UniFi USG to perform the updates).

There are many Dynamic DNS providers out there and some could just use not your domain but still a fixed name and you can have a client running to update DNS as needed.

https://www.noip.com/free

That is a top google hit. I have heard of them but not used them myself. Do your own due diligence but there are ones out there if you do not need it to be your domain name that you own.
Old 20-02-2021, 12:41   #7
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Noip are the ones I am currently trying as my TPLink router has a setting where it can connect to them out of the box allegedly.
Old 21-02-2021, 14:18   #8
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Safe to safe that self hosting much on a Raspberry Pi Model B is big no-no

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 22-02-2021 at 12:02.