Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion > Home Cinema @ The Digital Fix Comments

Old 27-06-2011, 23:49   #1
Guest 10924

[Blu-Ray Review] Don't Look Now

Comments attached to the Blu-Ray Review 'Don't Look Now' on Movies @ The Digital Fix

Nicolas Roeg's masterpiece comes to Region B Blu Ray from Optimum....

Click here to read!
Guest 10924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 19:16   #2
Richie
Trusted User

Thanks for this review, Mike!
I'm glad they've managed to get this release right.
Just seen Whiggles' review, oh god please don't tell me it's that bad!

Last edited by Richie; 03-07-2011 at 12:03.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 13:41   #3
Richie
Trusted User

I just hope Criterion get to take a stab at this sometime as it would be a perfect addition to their collection. Paramount should let them if they're not going to bother themselves.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:31   #4
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Q
OK, you're picking up my comments on another website..... where I said that it was being "quite aggressively" defended on The Digital Fix.

Apologies if that caused offence.
No offense taken; I was more...disappointed. Personally, whatever the results on doing so, all I'm urging is that - rent, buy, borrow - people make their own judgements by actually watching the darned thing. Too much to ask that folks do so without the memory of those 'caps tainting their impressions - the fox is in the henhouse on that front. But at least you've seen it Phil; excellent.

And if I haven't already made the point clear to anyone else, I'll try to underline it - I haven't seen any film look as bad, still frame, up close, look this good in motion at a normal viewing distance. Nope, not perfect, but more than worth having and streets ahead, as Colin says, of any other home video incarnation in every way. YMMV.

Nothing is as it seems...

John Baxter: Oh God! The deeper we get, the more Byzantine it gets. I'm restoring a fake!
Laura Baxter: Incredible that you can't change your course?
John Baxter: They haven't got enough bread. The options are restore the fake or let it sink into the sea...

Last edited by John Hodson; 07-07-2011 at 10:02.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:37   #5
douglasb
Suedehead.

What I've never understood is how opaque the home video industry appears to be. Where are the people who sit in studios and do this work, and why do we never hear from them? Where are the industry Deep Throats who will come out and explain why certain decisions were made, the processes involved and the discussions that were had? Are they not proud of the work they do or something?
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 18:39   #6
Guest 69911
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
What I've never understood is how opaque the home video industry appears to be. Where are the people who sit in studios and do this work, and why do we never hear from them? Where are the industry Deep Throats who will come out and explain why certain decisions were made, the processes involved and the discussions that were had? Are they not proud of the work they do or something?
I agree. Actually, Criterion are quite good in this regard, outlining in their titles' liner notes the various steps taken in the creation of the master.
Guest 69911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 17:53   #7
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

With the deepest respect, no-one is putting anyone down surely? This is not a contest, an 'us against them'? You see what you see - I respect anyone who has the actually taken the trouble to have a look themselves, and I can, 100%, understand where you are coming from and agree with some of what you say. We all want the very best; it's a fact that the pinnacle of what can be achieved isn't what we're seeing here.

At the risk of flogging that dead horse, all I'm asking for is a little rationale, a smidge of perspective. From what I've read, folks with all sizes of screens, including projector owners are coming away with varying opinions; hell, some - even those with PJs - can't see anything wrong whatever. While others are declaring it a disaster zone.

Not enough grain, too much grain, too bright, detailed, no detail, no depth, too colourful, too drab, bad sound, good sound; from the darkest obsidian, to the most blinding white with a little patch of grey here and there, whilst most reviews, on and offline, are positive. But it's all good. Because they have seen it.

I've no doubt to Michael's technical credentials, the level of his equipment (both of which far outstrip my own) - I only question his judgement is triggering an internet stampede with what I considered (and still think so Michael) an intemperate, even if heartfelt, comment: "Sod it, I'm returning it. The old DVD looks considerably better."

No greys here, no caveats; the bleakest prospect possible. I have to admit, it got my goat a little. Surely it's not that cut and dried? If those problems only leap from the screen when I freeze frame and stand up close, surely others will be in the same boat? I *know* they were...

Similarly, over at another forum, those screenshots sparked another panic amongst those who had still to see it themselves, accompanied with what I considered more hyperbole from a site reviewer; it was said to be unacceptable other than to those with 'very small screens'. That view was tempered with more considered comment later; I've no doubt his first reaction was some kind of righteous anger. His second far calmer.

I don't really care whether other people like the transfer or not - again, I say; you see, what you see - but that's for them to decide...which is the nub of what I'm trying to get at. Claiming it's an utter disaster, that Optimum must have bribed Roeg to approve it (yup, someone has claimed that), stamping their feet and claiming that the DVD is better (I said way back 'better' was subjective didn't I?) when those claims are being made by people yet to see the transfer in motion on their own equipment?

Bravo to those who taken the trouble to look past both the hyperbole and the screenshots. Love the transfer, hate it - we all agree it's a fabulous film. With my tiny screen ( ), I'll be happy until the next iteration comes along - hell, I'll be first in the queue...

Meanwhile, speaking of flogging dead horses, that's enough from me on the subject, I think.

Last edited by John Hodson; 08-07-2011 at 09:23.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 01:20   #8
Richie
Trusted User

Having finally watched the blu-ray for myself, it's quite obvious that this presentation is a complete digital travesty. It's like the whole film has had the photoshop "pastel effect" tool applied to it and it's horribly distracting to watch! There isn't a defined line in the entire thing and all detail has been lost in an artificial haze that smudges away any and all image depth.

Last edited by Richie; 14-10-2011 at 09:20.