Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 05-02-2021, 13:52   #21
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBlue View Post
Was it maybe Baddiel's Syndrome Cliff? That had Stephen Fry as his psychiatrist. I actually really liked it and still have it on digital. His real life wife, Morwenna Banks was his dodgy cleaner.

I've been to see the following :

After you've gone (Nicholas Lyndhurst, Celia Imrie and Danni Harmer). I quite enjoyed this one.

Countdown. I was only 14 so it was about 1986/1987. I got to meet and talk to Carol Voderman and she was so genuinely nice. I spoke to her about the numbers game for about 10 minutes while they were fixing some technical problem.

The New Statesman. I think this was about 1988/1989 and I went on a social trip with work. Rik Mayall was such a funny guy.
Baddiel's syndrome then, couldn't remember the name for sure but knew it was something like that.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:04   #22
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,858 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
Baddiel's syndrome
The one-and-only IMDB review actually makes me want to watch ! (Although overall it's only 4.6/10, 48 ratings).

Quote:

Hugely entertaining! 7/10

When this aired sky one where going through their "lets be HBO UK" phase...... This was a strange show for the UK, Billed wrongly as a "Seinfeld for the UK" it was more a bad British version of Friends! The acting was awful (especially Baddiels) And all the supporting actors seemed to be there JUST to set up the gag.... Set up as an "american style sitcom" a lot of the humour was lost on the UK audience and I feel it would have been syndicated in the US if it had ran long enough over here.

BUT, all these horrible things went together to make something so bad its good! I think this was ahead of its time, as Seinfeld was for the UK, as my father likes to say "I don't get it, its just people talking about life" yet the same man will sit and watch "till death us do part" who just replace the talking with shouting and a touch more blatant ignorance.

My advice is, if you get the chance to see this (and its VERY rare) watch it, you will be surprised when you see it, stop wincing, relax and enjoy it for what it is 24 minutes of chewing gum for the eyes, switch off your brain and watch! its not for the faint hearted though, i wanted to put my foot through the TV screen on more than one occasion.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 14:26   #23
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,299 Times in 917 Posts
I've been contestants on The Weakest Link and The Chase.

The Weakest Link was weird and I didn't do very well, it was really tedious to film, the "sharp wit" of Anne Robinson is all in the editing, she basically took turns to badger people for about ten minutes, then it's edited into 10 seconds of dry wit.

The Chase was loads better, it was pretty much like the show, but they do edit it down. It's interesting to watch it back and see others, especially on the offers as you have a minder (producer) who encourages you to take an offer for good telly. So when they put someone on at the end, when there is £40k in the bank and they take a -£10k, they've been egged on to do that.

Still £25k richer!

Wife got to watch Have I Got News For You, which I recall was a reward for sitting through something else (something political??)
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 16:29   #24
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
I've been contestants on The Weakest Link and The Chase.

Still £25k richer!
how many of you were there in the final chase ?

Way back in the day, I was one some trivia type BBC kids show with Bill Oddie. Well I say "on", there was a section where they took questions over the phone.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 20:58   #25
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Me and one other guy, I went high and got £47k, he got £3k. Over the moon to have won.
Old 06-02-2021, 21:13   #26
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,711 Times in 591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
Me and one other guy, I went high and got £47k, he got £3k. Over the moon to have won.
But still a little bitter that you earned 94% of the total prize money but only got 50%?
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 15:12   #27
Neil B
Trusted User

I once saw an episode of Countdown being filmed.

The only two things I can remember are Carol Vorderman not being able to work out the maths puzzle but they stopped filming and went back to make it look like she had.

And whilst sauntering down the corridor out of the studio the celebrity guest, Barbara Taylor Bradford, almost walking in to me as she was being whisked away to her waiting car.
Neil B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 15:37   #28
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
But still a little bitter that you earned 94% of the total prize money but only got 50%?
I've never really thought of it like that, not for a second. But plenty of people who do watch it, do think that.

If I watch it back, we got 17 in the final chase and got two push backs. I answered most of the questions in the final chase, he beat me to the buzzer on one, and he answered two I didn't know. He also knew one of the push backs that I didn't.

Without him, I'm not sure I'd have won or been offered £50k.

I do think being on your own in the final chase (and having decent general knowledge) is an advantage as you can do away with all the buzzer stuff, which I imagine probably gives the Chaser an opportunity to answer about six questions.
Old 07-02-2021, 16:45   #29
GregB
Trusted User

Thanked 1,000 Times in 518 Posts
When I was on Pointless there was no opportunity to have photos with Xander & Richard but they were filiming The Chase in the next studio. Bradley Walsh walked past our green room a bunch of times and was happy to pose with photos for us.

One of the Pointless crew told us the story behind this clip. The poor girl was distraught as her supposed friend absolutely laid in to her outside the studio.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...f4ebPX6NVL4A6q
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 17:46   #30
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregB View Post
When I was on Pointless there was no opportunity to have photos with Xander & Richard but they were filiming The Chase in the next studio. Bradley Walsh walked past our green room a bunch of times and was happy to pose with photos for us.

One of the Pointless crew told us the story behind this clip. The poor girl was distraught as her supposed friend absolutely laid in to her outside the studio.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...f4ebPX6NVL4A6q
Ha, never seen that before.
Are they still friends I wonder
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 17:56   #31
GregB
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkle View Post
Ha, never seen that before.

Are they still friends I wonder
It was a few years ago but the production crew said that they had been in touch with her and they were most defintely not still friends.
Old 08-02-2021, 14:22   #32
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I don't know how only having done Geography to A level means she doesn't know names of countries, although I found it hard in that time constraint but then did manager to think of Egypt, which I don't need a geography degree to have heard of. Doesn't help that consonants could be misread at continents at a quick glance which is how I first read it!
Old 08-02-2021, 15:47   #33
GregB
Trusted User

I'd forgotten that I was in the crowd for this

https://youtu.be/z6XFGROQ7X4
Old 08-02-2021, 18:09   #34
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
I don't know how only having done Geography to A level means she doesn't know names of countries, although I found it hard in that time constraint but then did manager to think of Egypt, which I don't need a geography degree to have heard of. Doesn't help that consonants could be misread at continents at a quick glance which is how I first read it!
It's not an easy question, in the context of Pointless, at all IMO.

Obviously "Paris" is wrong on every level but, as you say, in the same time constraint, thinking of a low scoring correct answer is hard [ Egypt and anything ending in 'land' would seem like obvious answers to me ]
Old 08-02-2021, 18:39   #35
dunkle
Trusted User

Wasn’t there a couple of members on here who got quite far on “only connect” ?
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 21:21   #36
wobbly Jelly
Trusted User

They used to film Emmerdale in the village we grew up in you'd be in the pub (as late teenagers) and a production assistant would come up - "err if we buy you beer, will you stay and be in the background" - good way to spend a few hours.

Central TV used to do a late night show, on a Friday - free beers before hand for some good audience participation.

Plus some beer review on West Midlands live - sounds like all beer beer beer.

I was also in a MOD promotional film - includes a naked shower scene!!!
Old 22-02-2021, 22:07   #37
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Got the confirmation email yesterday that I will be in the virtual audience for a QI recording next week. A 3 hour show apparently.

Really looking forward to it
Old 24-02-2021, 13:31   #38
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Yeah I really enjoyed my QI recording, it really is just QI live. No stops or retakes, just straight through conversation led by Sandi