Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 06-10-2005, 11:12   #41
anephric
Kidney Thief

Yep - my box has started doing it too. If you ignore it it times out on mine after 10 secs or so and tunes in anyway.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:38   #42
Guest 33861
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsby
I think I read something on Digital Spy about this, something to do with software updates causing this problem.

Or something.
Are you getting TCM with a Sky subscription - or are you getting it free to view?

Last edited by kohlbek; 06-10-2005 at 11:40.
Guest 33861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 17:18   #43
Guest 1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
'Are you gonna pull those pistols...or whistle Dixie?'
"Don't **** down my back and say it's raining"

Well, thumbs up to Play for 24 hr delivery - a first for me, at any rate - and big thanks to this thread. My Outlaw Josey Wales SE turned up today and I've spent the afternoon on the plains with Clint.

Why do people not talk about this film in the same, revered way they do about Unforgiven and the Leone/Clint westerns? OK, apart from on here! While I'll sing the praises of those classics to anyone, I'll now include Josey Wales to that list.

There is much depth to the film, mainly thanks to some wonderful characters who are blessed with great colour and humour, that it's sure to stand up with repeat viewing. I'm trying (too hard) to compare it to Unforgiven, a film I've seen so many times it's perhaps too familiar. Although The Outlaw Josey Wales is similar in many ways to Unforgiven, what set it apart for me was the way characters change throughout the film - I'm not sure any character really does that in Unforgiven.

There's so much more I want to say, but don't want to turn this into a spoiler thread for those who haven't yet seen it.

Last edited by TonyA; 07-10-2005 at 17:27.
Guest 1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 17:19   #44
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Aw, c'mon - say it spoilered - we want to know
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 17:22   #45
Guest 1331

I've edited my post. Or is that rambled in the middle of it....I'm not sure!
Old 07-10-2005, 17:28   #46
gZa
Trusted User

Quote:
Aw, c'mon - say it spoilered - we want to know
http://www.cityonfire.com/gZa/pdmb.mp3

EDIT: Complete misunderstanding but I'll leave the link!

Last edited by gZa; 07-10-2005 at 17:32.
gZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 17:34   #47
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Old 07-10-2005, 17:37   #48
Guest 1331

LOL...might have known that'd be online somewhere.
Old 16-10-2005, 10:56   #49
Guest 38684
Banned

Well ordered yesterday both 'High Plains Drifter' and 'The Outlaw Josey Wales from Play for £6.99 each and I hope fingers crossed, that I won't be disappointed
Guest 38684 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2005, 12:13   #50
Guest 41913
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyA
Why do people not talk about this film in the same, revered way they do about Unforgiven and the Leone/Clint westerns? OK, apart from on here!
Although underapreciated at the time, 'Wales reputation has soared since and now is pretty much regarded as a classic - probably more so than the first two Dollars films.

Quote:
Although The Outlaw Josey Wales is similar in many ways to Unforgiven, what set it apart for me was the way characters change throughout the film - I'm not sure any character really does that in Unforgiven.
Different films, saying different things. The earlier film is generally a more positive one; a man rediscovers his humanity through a surrogate family. Unforgivern is altogether darker and cynical; the characters are all damned and morally bankrupt, yet they are all still recognisably human - Little Bill has his house, the cattle worker makes a gesture of appeasement (no matter how empty) to the prostitute he helped maim, Munny's devotion to his dead wife etc. I don't think it's morally confused, so much as one big (deliberate) morally grey area, in fact Eastwood's take on humanity in this instance is very similar to that of Sam Peckinpah's.
Guest 41913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2005, 16:57   #51
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenMTaylor
I don't think it's morally confused, so much as one big (deliberate) morally grey area, in fact Eastwood's take on humanity in this instance is very similar to that of Sam Peckinpah's.
Can't argue there. That's life isn't it, we're all damn confused (well, I am...), playing fast and loose with right and wrong. And Unforgiven holds a mirror up to life while 'Josey Wales' revels gloriously in the fable; both great films for vastly different moods. The ending of Unforgiven leaves me with a buzz like my head is full of bees...
Old 18-10-2005, 12:07   #52
Flip Martian
Internet radio DJ

Quote:
The ending of Unforgiven leaves me with a buzz like my head is full of bees...
I haven't seen this since it was in the cinema...and I have no idea now how it ended! I just know its going to have to move higher up my shopping list now...
Old 30-11-2005, 13:59   #53
Flip Martian
Internet radio DJ

I picked up The Outlaw Josey Wales and Pale Rider cheaply recently. Enjoyed both but I think the former is the better film - PR seems a bit slow in places. JW seemed to have more depth to it as well - as my g/f said as we watched PR on Sunday afternoon..."it didn't have much plot, did it?"! Clint gets done wrong/gets the bad guys - what more do you need?
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2005, 21:02   #54
R-T-C
Klaus Kinksi's pet dog

Howdy.

I've been getting into the Spaghetti Westerns of late, and rather fancy taking a look at the post-Spaghetti Westerns now, starting with the Eastwood films (until that Peckinpah boxset comes out)

Play.com are selling the Eastwood westerns pretty cheap, how do the UK R2 DVDs of Pale Rider, High Plains Drifter, Josey Wales and Unforgiven hold up?
Old 23-12-2005, 09:02   #55
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

You're on a relative winner with High Plains Drifter in R2; check out Mike's review, Mike's also given the thumbs up to The Outlaw Josey Wales (it's the only R2 of these I own, and I quite agree with Mike's assessment). Rewind says you're on a winner with the R2 Unforgiven SE, no difference here between the regions, and it's a peach. Pale Rider has lost some very minor extras somewhere over the Atlantic; but, again, if the transfer is more or less the same (and Warners are usually consistent) it's decent if not absolutely stellar.
Old 23-12-2005, 09:21   #56
anephric
Kidney Thief

The last time I went into Asda (a few weeks ago) Josey Wales was £4.97. In fact everything in the Ultimate Westerns series was.
Old 23-12-2005, 13:01   #57
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

I watched High Plains Drifter on TV the other night. Despite being P&S and having a little sign language man in the corner i really enjoyed it.

I rememeber i turned it off when i tried to watch it years ago because the set for the town looked like it came from toy town And i sat there the other night wondering to myself - 'oh this isnt the one with toy town and a midget is it ?'

I really loved the characters, especially Clints. I thought he was a bit of an ass as the anti hero at first, but his purpose was soon made clear. Lived up the to the man with no name title too, being a mysterious figure - was he related to the old Marshall ? Is he a ghost ? Is he the Devil ?!

Was getting crazy thoughts through my head as well - was thinking the movie was having a stab at Communism - communal workforce where according to Clint, everyone must chip in, the red paint etc. even though its a bit out of place for a Western movie

Last edited by KeyserSoze; 23-12-2005 at 13:01.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2005, 13:22   #58
anephric
Kidney Thief

Which would be rather perverse since it was the town's failure to stand together that led to "his" death...
Old 27-12-2005, 18:17   #59
Flip Martian
Internet radio DJ

I hope this isn't a cross post as its buried in the Woolworths bargain thread, but Hang Em High is in Woolies at the moment for only £3.99 if anyone wants to give it a go...

EDIT: Sorry Harsin, thanks for adding the link.
Affiliate Link

Last edited by Flip Martian; 28-12-2005 at 10:51.
Flip Martian is offline   Reply With Quote