Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 13-05-2003, 10:10   #61
Guest 21489
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by unlucky alf
this site has a list of most of the Italian Westerns available on DVD and comments on the quality of the DVD.
How frightfully odd! That is a link I had found in the past, but when double-checking them yesterday before posting here, it seemed to be dead. It is certainly a most useful resource, and I am delighted that your post has reversed my decision to discard it!

Grazie, amico.

Old 13-05-2003, 10:31   #62
Guest 19345
Banned

Like you I drooled over the box sets but I was extremely close to purchasing Blindman and Massacre Time but bottled out. At £25 each plus shipping, it is a bit steep for an non anamorphic, bare bones DVD.

Its a shame the piece on Django Kill has disappeared as it would have made an interesting read. I would love Blue Underground to release another spaghetti western box set but I have read on the internet that it did not sell well and it was a ''labour of love'' on the part of Bill Lustig.
Old 14-05-2003, 12:15   #63
Guest 21489
Banned

Quote:
Its a shame the piece on Django Kill has disappeared as it would have made an interesting read.
Alfred, old chap, I have a vague notion that I printed this piece a few years ago when I came upon it. There is a slim possibility that I may be able to lay my hands on it at Trueform Towers. I do not wish to raise your hopes in vain, but should this be the case, I should be delighted to either fax or e-mail a copy to you. I happen to be away for the time being, but if you could allow me a couple of weeks, I shall see what I can do.

Quote:
I would love Blue Underground to release another spaghetti western box set but I have read on the internet that it did not sell well and it was a ''labour of love'' on the part of Bill Lustig.
Yes, I also saw something to this effect elsewhere.

Would it not be a treat if old Lustig could trump the first set, perhaps including "The Big Gundown"...?
Old 14-05-2003, 12:42   #64
Guest 19345
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Rex Trueform
Alfred, old chap, I have a vague notion that I printed this piece a few years ago when I came upon it. There is a slim possibility that I may be able to lay my hands on it at Trueform Towers. I do not wish to raise your hopes in vain, but should this be the case, I should be delighted to either fax or e-mail a copy to you. I happen to be away for the time being, but if you could allow me a couple of weeks, I shall see what I can do.
That would be extremly kind of you Rex and I would be very grateful but don't worry if you cant get hold of it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rex Trueform
Yes, I also saw something to this effect elsewhere.

Would it not be a treat if old Lustig could trump the first set, perhaps including "The Big Gundown"...?
It would Rex, Mr Lustig really knows how to give a film good treatment on DVD.
Old 15-05-2003, 09:35   #65
Guest 925
Xbox Tag: mondoben

In fact, in the last e-mail I sent to Bill Lustig, I mentioned how appreciated a restoration of The Big Gundown would be received.

Here's hoping
Old 15-05-2003, 09:47   #66
Guest 21489
Banned

Quote:
That would be extremly kind of you Rex and I would be very grateful but don't worry if you cant get hold of it.
Not at all. I shall be back in touch in due course on this matter.

Quote:
Mr Lustig really knows how to give a film good treatment on DVD.
That he most certainly does. Presuming that one has an interest in the picture in question, and with the honourable exception of Criterion, Blue Underground is currently perhaps the only label whose discs may be pre-ordered without reservation or qualm.
Old 15-05-2003, 09:49   #67
Guest 21489
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by BenH
In fact, in the last e-mail I sent to Bill Lustig, I mentioned how appreciated a restoration of The Big Gundown would be received.
Oh, jolly well done, sir!

Dare I enquire if the response (if any) was of a nature to raise hopes?

Last edited by Rex Trueform; 15-05-2003 at 09:50.
Old 15-05-2003, 09:50   #68
Guest 19345
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by BenH

Here's hoping
Fingers crossed

I stumbled on a 2 disc German release of Antonio Margheriti's Vengeance. It contains the German cut, the international cut and if you missed out on Wild East's A Fistful Of Trailers the second DVD contains just that! I am thinking about taking the plunge but the movies are non anamorphic.
Old 15-05-2003, 09:52   #69
Guest 19345
Banned

Thanks again Rex.
Old 19-05-2003, 13:45   #70
Guest 21489
Banned

Quote:
I stumbled on a 2 disc German release of Antonio Margheriti's Vengeance. It contains the German cut, the international cut and if you missed out on Wild East's A Fistful Of Trailers the second DVD contains just that! I am thinking about taking the plunge but the movies are non anamorphic.
Intriguing, my dear fellow, most intriguing! I have had a copy of "Vengeance" for some years on letterboxed VHS, and while the film is a rather impressive, I have never had the urge to upgrade to Image's DVD. This, on the other hand... I have long regretted that I resisted the urge to splash out on the mouth-watering "A Fistful of Trailers" (reviews may be found here and here), but to now obtain both for less than the price of the latter alone...

Alfred, my dear chap, I notice that your link takes one to Xploited, with whom I have never dealt. In your experience, does this retailer cut the mustard? (No trace of the release is to be found at Amazon.de.) As it happens, I have also made mention of Xploited in this thread. Any insight into the firm's standards should be most welcome.

Last edited by Rex Trueform; 19-05-2003 at 13:45.
Old 19-05-2003, 14:19   #71
Guest 19345
Banned

I have read Images disc is now OOP and is fetching quite a bit on ebay. The German DVD is unfortunately non anamorphic but the second disc of trailers makes up for that.

Xploited cinema's service is top notch but with my last two orders customs have inspected and scratched the DVD's. Shipping is $6 not the listed $8 and DVD's usually arrive within seven days if customs aren’t playing with them.
Old 19-05-2003, 14:39   #72
Guest 21489
Banned

Quote:
Xploited cinema's service is top notch but with my last two orders customs have inspected and scratched the DVD's. Shipping is $6 not the listed $8 and DVD's usually arrive within seven days if customs aren’t playing with them.
I am encouraged, my dear chap. $6 seems jolly reasonable.

From a supplier unearthed by Monkeyman in the aforementioned thread: "Vengeance". At €26, there is little difference in the asking prices, but carriage charges and customs concerns may tip the scales one way or the other.

On Monkeyman's recommendation, I have thus far avoided delving deeper into this site, as an overabundance of delectable goodies is clearly on offer.
Old 19-05-2003, 14:57   #73
Guest 925

My shipping is reading as $8 right up to the end of the checkout. How do I get $6 shipping?

Thanks
Old 19-05-2003, 15:01   #74
Guest 19345
Banned

When you place the order you get an email saying you were charged $6 shipping instead of $8.
Old 19-05-2003, 15:03   #75
Guest 925

Yeah but I need to pay by Paypal and it's asking me for the full $8. Maybe i'll just email them and confirm the amount.
Old 19-05-2003, 15:24   #76
Guest 19345
Banned

Sorry BenH never used paypal, I am sure Tony will help you out.
Old 19-05-2003, 15:25   #77
Guest 925

No worries m8 - Mailed them to check. Thanks anyway. Ordered the Warhol Dracula/Frankenstein set (mentioned it in another thread)
Old 19-05-2003, 22:50   #78
Guest 29924
Trusted User

The main non-Leone title to go for is 'Keoma - the violent breed'
I've been a big fan of this since I saw it years ago on the Activ VHS. Such beautiful visuals and compositions. And the Kate Bush-esque soundtrack is insane but strangley fitting.
The slowmo gunfights may have been robbed blind from Peckinpah, but it all works so well. And to see my man Woody Strode running around like a dosed ponce is worth anyones money.
The Anchor Bay DVD is a beauty, and should be picked up at all costs.
Long live Franco Nero!

Bullet For Sandoval, which someone mentioned earlier, is an oddity but a worthwhile watch. I don't think I've ever seen such an extreme character reversal in film, with the originally sympathetic character soon murdering and pillaging in cold blood - to the point where the viewer thinks they may have forgotten about you completely, its so cold.

Fans of Spaghettis should really go back to the roots of the sub-genre and check out it's spiritual father, 'Vera Cruz'. This 50's western starring Gary Cooper, Burt Lancaster and a very young Charles Bronson, sets the nihilistic, mercenary tone that Italians would be taking the credit for 10 years later.
A great film, and a great set of teeth from the slinky 'circus-boy' Lancaster.

Once Upon A Time In The West still stands as the greatest western...nay, film of all time though. (Although Roller Boogie comes a close second)
Old 21-05-2003, 09:02   #79
Guest 21489
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles Bronson
Fans of Spaghettis should really go back to the roots of the sub-genre and check out it's spiritual father, 'Vera Cruz'. This 50's western starring Gary Cooper, Burt Lancaster and a very young Charles Bronson, sets the nihilistic, mercenary tone that Italians would be taking the credit for 10 years later.
A great film, and a great set of teeth from the slinky 'circus-boy' Lancaster.
Well said, my good man.

"The Magnificent Seven" was also a key, Mexican-set American model, with the principal members of the Seven (and Eli Wallach) featuring in Italian productions later in the decade.

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles Bronson
...and a great set of teeth from the slinky 'circus-boy' Lancaster.
I say, from what you say, you may be interested in the forthcoming release of "The Crimson Pirate", a classic of its kind with Lancaster, in the company of circus side-kick Nick Cravat, at the peak of his acrobatic powers.
Old 21-05-2003, 09:06   #80
Guest 21489
Banned

Should anyone be in a position to recieve the Irish-language television station, TG4, "Deaf Smith and Johnny Ears" is to be screened this Friday. Details are available here (with an option to read in English):

Quote:
Le Film: Deaf Smith and Johnny Ears (1972)

Is iad Franco Nero, Anthony Quinn agus Pamela Tiffin na príomhaisteoirí sa scannán seo faoi stiúir Paolo Cavara. Scannán ó Iarthar Mheiriceá atá déanta go fíormhaith é seo faoi bheirt chairde, Quinn atá bodhar agus balbh agus Nero atá dalba. Insítear scéal na beirte seo le linn tréimhse ina raibh go leor athruithe sóisialta ag tarlú i Texas. Tá grianghrafadóireacht ghalánta sa scannán seo ar 'Los Amigos' an buntheideal a bhí air.
There is probable good news and probable bad news here. The screening is likely to be in Italian with English subtitles. I fear, however, that Tonino delli Colli's scope cinematography shall be compromised by cropping.
Closed Thread