Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 22-05-2009, 20:42   #1
Big A
OTBC

Wordpress -WTF?!

Ok so i've finally dipped into the world of blogging. Picked wordpress as it seems to have a load of decent themes and plugins but blimey how difficult it is to work out

I thought i knew a little bit about website bulding etc (having used dreamweaver to build fairly simple sites) but this is a bloody nightmare. I've just read an encyclopedia on how to change the header art!!! and i still haven;t got a clue where to start.

can anybody point my toward a decent theme that provides a good customizer or theme builder so that i can get started with my blog. I'd like to make a blog that is a bit more than your average wordpress site but at the moment i'm struggling to make any customisations at all.

I downloaded the Freshy theme http://www.jide.fr/english/downloads/ which comes with its own customizer but i constantly get error messages when i attempt to make even a simple colour change.

Is there a way to build a decent looking blog without messing around with code?
Big A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 21:17   #2
orac
information is restricted

Wordpress is brill and really a proper cms now. Try the atahualpa theme - can do lots of customizing in the wordpress dashboard.

Films you must see

Last edited by orac; 22-05-2009 at 21:19.
orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 23:44   #3
Remains
trust nothing

Not sure exactly what you're finding so hard with editing a theme - it's generally accepted to be really user-friendly.

You have changed the permissions on the file to allow them to be writable? I edit mine directly via FTP but if you want to edit them within the Wordpress Admin Area you will need to temporarily change the permissions of the theme folder.

You rarely have to change the actual files though as it is almost all controlled by CSS - so look in the CSS file to begin with.

Last edited by Remains; 22-05-2009 at 23:46.
Remains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 00:29   #4
Jez
Ellis Retire!

All the files you need to touch are wp-content/themes/yourtheme (off the top of my head)

Within there they are header include,sidebar include and footer include.

These are included in each page.

You then have a page for your posts, index i thing, then a single page.

Just build your header and then add it to the header include, swopping the existing code with your new one. Make sure you include all the php thats what makes it work, then play around with the html and you'll be fine.
Old 23-05-2009, 17:14   #5
ben.bayliss
Senior Citizen

Just built my new site using WP and I found it incredibly easy to set up, but then customisation does require a bit more time. Still - everything I've wanted that's not totally non-standard has had a plugin readily available, and the widgets are just great!

If you carefully read the PHP files for your theme you'll find everything you need. I found reading the generated HTML source useful too as I could see where various bits of code were being injected, which made it easier to hunt down things.

The header.php (or templates/header.php) file contains the blog title, and you can replace that code with a static logo if you choose.

Last edited by ben.bayliss; 23-05-2009 at 17:15.
ben.bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 15:28   #6
Big A
OTBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remains View Post

You have changed the permissions on the file to allow them to be writable?
No, and i think this is what is casing the main problem. HOw is the file permission changed? is this done through the FTP (CPanel file manager)

thanks
Old 24-05-2009, 15:40   #7
Big A
OTBC

OK, i've changed permissions but i still keep getting errors all over the place when using the theme customizer plugin for the Feshy theme.

the error is:

Warning: copy(/wp-content/themes/freshy2/custom_my_style.css) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in wp-content/plugins/customize/nice_theme.php on line 389

Writing file is impossible, css stored as option.

any ideas? this is all being done via the WP dashboard

Last edited by Big A; 24-05-2009 at 15:40.
Old 25-05-2009, 01:35   #8
Guest 9469
Trusted User

I think http://www.squarespace.com/ may be a better option for you. You can create something impressive without all of the messing around. Perfect for 90% of people.
Guest 9469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 15:12   #9
Remains
trust nothing

Without seeing your theme set up it's difficult to tell what is going wrong Big A.

Have you changed the permissions on all of the files in your theme? It is best to take a note of their original permissions, then temporarily change them all to 777 whilst you do the editing, then change them back to their original permissions when you are done. Try changing the permissions on the actual folder your theme is contained in too.
Remains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 17:22   #10
Guest 43206
Isn't it?

Just to throw another option into the mix, take a look at Expression Engine (www.expressionengine.com).

I've adopted it as the only CMS I'd even entertain using.

As the coding makes sense and it's incredibly powerful or as simple as you need without the need to resort to hacking PHP around or anything (I'm a designer, not a coder.) As you've got experience dealing with HTML via Dreamweaver I'd be willing to bet on you being able to cope with Expression Engine's templating (if I can do it, most people can.)

You can get the free 'Core' version for personal use and try it out. However, if you're even remotely serious about whatever it is you're doing (i.e. stand to make some money out of it) I'd buy the commercial license (around £170 give or take £10 or so.)
Guest 43206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2009, 20:56   #11
luffk
Trusted User

Another vote for expression engine here. Think they are working on a new version as well at the moment.
Old 25-05-2009, 22:23   #12
Big A
OTBC

I'm getting familiar with it now . sorted the permissions out and now adding widgets, plugins etc.

As soon as i get it to a presentable format i'll post a link up. thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by Big A; 25-05-2009 at 22:23.