Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 15-05-2019, 09:33   #961
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,489 Times in 462 Posts
I'd imagine Jon would take the dragon if Dany dies. It'd probably follow him any way.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 09:35   #962
douglasb
Suedehead.

Writing and plotting issues aside, we should also pause to reflect on the incredible production work done by the rest of the crew. They can only work with the storyline they've been given and there's a lot to admire, even if some of the wider problems have taken a little of the sheen off.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 10:23   #963
JohnMac
XBL: JohnMacUK

So nobody sees the connection between Cersei having Missandei executed while making Dany watch and be helpless to do anything about it, and for Dany doing the exact same thing to King’s Landing, making Cersei watch. Remember, Cersei wanted to push Dany over the edge and to have to kill innocent civilians.

Daenerys has always been like this and it shouldn’t come as a surprise. She took pleasure in watching her brother die when he got his golden crown. Even in Essos she was always talking in absolute terms either people loving her or burning cities to the ground.

The clues were there all along and because Dany was on the side of our Stark heroes you couldn’t or didn’t want to see it coming. We all got tricked by it and that was the point. That doesn’t make it terrible though, that was the twist.

The hate on YouTube is totally ridiculous. I’ve said it before but people who make money out of YouTube need their ‘sheeple’ followers and need their forced/blown out of all proportions injustices to get people to keep watching. The irony is a lot of these channels are the same ones that have been continually hyping, spewing out all these elaborate theories and overthinking things. Of course the last thing they are going to do is blame their own money making hype train. If there is a wheel that needs breaking I have a suggestion right there. I’m going to leave you with some song lyrics:

‘He speaks the language of a warrior
He mounts his misinformed attack
He wears the clothes of a dissenter
But there's a logo on his back
And it's a hollow rebellion
As rebellions mostly are
It's just another raging tempest in a jar’
(Damn It Rose by Don Henley)
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 10:49   #964
The Bear

I've seen online a few times now, that she took pleasure in seeing her brother die. No she didn't. Khal Drogo was the one who enjoyed it. She just refused to look away and stood there stony faced.

And she knew Cersei didn't give a **** about her people, so murdering them is hardly getting her own back. Plus there was no guarantee she'd be watching her do it. She was just as likely to be off plotting her escape.

Last edited by The Bear; 15-05-2019 at 10:51.
Old 15-05-2019, 10:59   #965
JohnMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
I've seen online a few times now, that she took pleasure in seeing her brother die. No she didn't. Khal Drogo was the one who enjoyed it. She just refused to look away and stood there stony faced.

And she knew Cersei didn't give a **** about her people, so murdering them is hardly getting her own back. Plus there was no guarantee she'd be watching her do it. She was just as likely to be off plotting her escape.
Just watched that clip again and you are correct. But she did say “He was no dragon, fire cannot kill a dragon” afterwards.
Old 15-05-2019, 11:28   #966
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

I'm just be glad to see the back on the POS NowTv app.

720p yikes!
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 12:40   #967
JohnMac

Something I only just found out about and maybe it is widely known about; Cersei and Bronn (in real life, not on the show) were a couple many years back. Now they can’t stand each other and the makers of GoT had to go to great lengths to ensure they were never on set together. Rumour is that it might even be in their contracts not to have scenes together. So if you were wondering why Bronn doesn’t have any scenes with Cersei then that is why. Who knows how much of Bronn’s story is governed by that from why he doesn’t just stay in the Red Keep or is forever in search of his castle. As a sell sword they have kept his role more detached from the other characters.
Old 15-05-2019, 13:44   #968
douglasb
Suedehead.

Finding out who the actor was during earlier seasons was as big a shock as anything in the show.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 16:49   #969
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Dany was abused by her brother then he sold as a slave to a man that raped her at the start and Viserys Targaryen also threaten her unborn child iirc

Its wrong to say she was "always been like this" she even locked away one of dragons that killed a little boy.

Also I don't think most people on YT are hating on the show for no reason or clicks. Watch the early seasons again, night and day in terms of writing and pacing. If D&D was rushing season 1, they would have Robert die in ep 1 and Ned dead in ep 2
Old 15-05-2019, 17:00   #970
Apostate
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
I'd imagine Jon would take the dragon if Dany dies. It'd probably follow him any way.
I'm wondering if Dany will try to kill Jon with the Dragon. But finds out he's immune to fire like her.

Also does Jon now outrank Dany as far as dragons are concerned, being the senior Targaryen?

I feel it likely that Jon will go north of the wall at the end - it's where his heart is.
Apostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 17:07   #971
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,134 Times in 799 Posts
I watched that Thronecast show, it was really weird to hear everyone talking with their real voices.

As for the Dany change, its just like anything else in the season, it's got to be rushed as they haven't time to do it properly. Presumably just to get us to a point where she gets killed and we all cheer.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 17:39   #972
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

David Benioff wrote X-Men Origins: Wolverine didn't know that

also

Old 15-05-2019, 21:09   #973
Taq
Evil Scientist

The main issue with Cersei is that the character just ran out of things to do at the end of last season. She was all about her children and politics. No born kids left, and with only really the Starks left of the great houses, no one to scheme against.

It may be another reason why the last couple of seasons felt rushed apart from the fast travel elements. We were used to a massive cast and having about 10mins per ep on each location. As that dwindled down, we spent more time with each group, compressing our experience with them.
Maybe, anyway.

With Bran not being the Night King, anyone else think he's the Lord of Light?
Old 15-05-2019, 22:22   #974
Soprano
Walking the line

Jon isn't immune to fire though is he? His hand got burnt before when he threw a lantern at a zombie saving Mormont in season 3 or something.

I was disappointed with the episode initially. But on reflection I really liked what happened, just not the way the episode was shot at times.

I think most would agree this and season 7 should have been 10 episodes each to give a bit of breathing time where it could be a little more subtle.

Sansa to be queen is my guess. Either through being warden of the north or through her marriage to Tyrion which I guess still is valid as they never divorced?? I'd need a GoT lawyer to explain that for me

Last edited by Soprano; 15-05-2019 at 22:25.
Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 10:55   #975
Boink!
In the Good Place

Thanked 3,239 Times in 1,078 Posts
I like this season so far. No complaints here.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 10:58   #976
JohnMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taq View Post
With Bran not being the Night King, anyone else think he's the Lord of Light?
I think giving too much importance to these prophecies is a route that will likely lead to disappointment and has been responsible for countless over-thinking and over-complicating YouTube speculation videos. Just because somebody describes it as a prophecy it doesn’t mean it will come true. This is something that Jon already said to Dany at the Dragon Pit regarding her not being able to have a child. Besides if I prophesied that Bran would introduce a couple of popular breakfast cereals in the final episode it wouldn’t make it any more likely to happen; even if Bran Flakes and All Bran might go down very well in Westeros.

Another quick point I would like to make is that there are a lot of people on YouTube up in arms about how characters have been ruined by the show runners. Well GRRM was responsible for the Dany twist. Jaime is another one people are seemingly upset about. People want that complete redemptive story arc and in many other types of series that would be the predictable and expected outcome. Given that we have Dany turning into the mad queen should we expect a truly redemptive arc for him. The show deliberately teases it for us and then takes it away because as close as Jaime has become to being redeemed he can’t escape that addiction. People are up in arms because things don’t go as expected, they want their characters to have complete redemptive story arcs, they want the foreshadowing to be reflected in symmetry of events. Real life is more messy and when things fall apart they do so in unexpected ways.
Old 16-05-2019, 12:38   #977
Apostate
Trusted User

I'm quite happy with all the character development - except Dany should have taken longer - she's shown some cruelty and vindictiveness before but has gone too far too quickly.

I expect we've heard everything now about Bran and the White Walkers which is a shame because right from the pre-titles sequence in the first episode the good vs evil showdown was surely what the saga is all about. It's like Morgoth/Sauron in Tolkien. LOTR wouldn't have been the same if after
Aragorn had started squabbling with Elrond.
Apostate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 12:49   #978
MaxNutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac View Post
Another quick point I would like to make is that there are a lot of people on YouTube up in arms about how characters have been ruined by the show runners. Well GRRM was responsible for the Dany twist. Jaime is another one people are seemingly upset about. People want that complete redemptive story arc and in many other types of series that would be the predictable and expected outcome. Given that we have Dany turning into the mad queen should we expect a truly redemptive arc for him. The show deliberately teases it for us and then takes it away because as close as Jaime has become to being redeemed he can’t escape that addiction. People are up in arms because things don’t go as expected, they want their characters to have complete redemptive story arcs, they want the foreshadowing to be reflected in symmetry of events. Real life is more messy and when things fall apart they do so in unexpected ways.
We got a redemption arc with Theon, it's ludicrous to suggest that every character will get one, it's far too corny.
Old 16-05-2019, 12:58   #979
General Zod
Kryptonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac View Post
Good points, but I still think the show has handled Dany and Jaime badly.

Taking Dany first, the books have always gone out of their way to establish her as a good Targaryen. Ser Barristan says after revealing his identity to her that he waited a while to make sure she wasn't mad like her father or Viserys, and this is reinforced by other characters. She certainly isn't squeaky clean and can be ruthless to those who she considers enemies, but to suddenly unleash dragons on a whole city...? Granted, all the above could be just so we do get floored by it if she does go Mad Targaryen, but hopefully it'll have more buildup than the show, where she goes from hero to villain in less than 10 seconds.

As for Jaime, it's not about wanting to see him fully redeemed. The complexity is what makes him a good character, in that having a hand cut off makes him realise what he's become and attempt to be a better person even though he knows he'll always be mistrusted and known as the Kingslayer, and only a couple of people like Brienne knowing the true reason for his killing Aerys.

Last edited by General Zod; 16-05-2019 at 12:59.
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 14:33   #980
The Bear

Jaime got his small piece of redemption with Brienne at Winterfell, then he reverted to type and ran back off to Cersei. He doesn't really deserve much more than that tbh.