Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Notices

Old 12-05-2019, 10:40   #1
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

The Man from UNCLE (Original) - Feature Films' aspect ratio

I am a fan of the 1960s version of The Man From UNCLE and would like to get the 8 feature films on BD or DVD. I note that there is a Warner Archives collection set of all 8 films in one DVD package but the advertisements say that the aspect ratios are 1.33:1 Fullscreen only. This has confused me a bit.

I know that the UNCLE "feature films" were really extensions of related single episodes with extra material added for theatre release. But on IMDB all of them are listed as with Aspect Ratios of 1.85:1 and so I presumed that they were letterboxed for theatre release. So why are there no BDs or DVDs available in that widescreen aspect?

I don't mind getting the Warner set as long as I can be sure that no framing has been lost in the Fullscreen versions. Please help.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:38   #2
douglasb
Suedehead.

My instinct would be that the theatrical versions would be matted, cropping the top and bottom of the frame to create a wide screen image from the TV version.

Perhaps the decision was made to present them on disc unmatted, albeit using the same edits/footage?
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 20:22   #3
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
My instinct would be that the theatrical versions would be matted, cropping the top and bottom of the frame to create a wide screen image from the TV version.

Perhaps the decision was made to present them on disc unmatted, albeit using the same edits/footage?
Thanks. I thought of that possibility but was unsure. Reading the reviews, there was one which implied that he/she was happy that it was in Full-frame, which I tool to mean as the OAR.
Old 13-05-2019, 12:23   #4
malcy

You also need to be careful the US WAC DVDs may now be burned DVD-Rs rather than pressed disks.

With WAC despite saying manufacture on demand all BDs are pressed but I believe DVDs are only pressed for the first batch afterwards many are burnt on demand.

There was a UK and European boxset on pressed DVDs possibly 15 years ago now so unsure if still in print but that only had 5 of the 8 films.
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 13:20   #5
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy View Post
You also need to be careful the US WAC DVDs may now be burned DVD-Rs rather than pressed disks.

With WAC despite saying manufacture on demand all BDs are pressed but I believe DVDs are only pressed for the first batch afterwards many are burnt on demand.

There was a UK and European boxset on pressed DVDs possibly 15 years ago now so unsure if still in print but that only had 5 of the 8 films.
Thanks. I have many feature film DVDs from WAC that are otherwise completely unavailable. The IQ, if anything, was superior to many other DVDs I owned. Don't know whether they were pressed or burned but it did NOT say DVD-R on any of them.

I had the 5-film set from 2005 but gave it away thinking that the aspect ratio was wrong. In any case, I have ordered the 8-film set from a trusted seller based on what douglasb said.
Old 15-05-2019, 06:49   #6
LV426
Trusted User

In my very limited experience with a couple of other titles, there is nothing wrong with WB's DVD-MOD issues. They look like DVD +/- R outwardly and I don't at present have any disc analysis software to confirm it one way or the other. But they watch prefectly well. And, frankly, that's all I care about.
LV426 is offline   Reply With Quote