Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-05-2019, 13:12   #941
aliman5000
Clown X
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northants
Posts: 1,662
Thanks: 21
Thanked 46 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I’m offended by nothing most of the time!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My partner is a Liverpool fan as are a number of my closest friends. You seem, like them, a completely rational football fan.

The rubbish I read from Adam however is beyond belief and now it’s in another thread!
__________________
This place looks terrible in widescreen...
aliman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 15:34   #942
AdamBrunt
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 24,542
Thanks: 131
Thanked 268 Times in 184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliman5000 View Post
My partner is a Liverpool fan as are a number of my closest friends. You seem, like them, a completely rational football fan.

The rubbish I read from Adam however is beyond belief and now it’s in another thread!
Of course dear, whatever you say.

Here are some facts for you to digest:

City's pathetic response to the leaked video is shameful and factually incorrect. But totally in tune with a classless club.

City are under investigation from UEFA regarding breaking FFP rules. Der Spiegel has evidence that the last time this happened financial inducements were made to lessen the punishment.

City are under investigation from the FA, UEFA AND FIFA regarding breaking transfer rules.

But according to you they are doing nothing wrong and it's just Liverpool fans [ it's not just me - unless I control the national media who are all reporting this stuff to some degree except for the few who are happy to sweep it under the carpet ] playing the victim
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 15:35   #943
aliman5000
Clown X
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northants
Posts: 1,662
Thanks: 21
Thanked 46 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Of course dear, whatever you say.

Here are some facts for you to digest:

City's pathetic response to the leaked video is shameful and factually incorrect. But totally in tune with a classless club.

City are under investigation from UEFA regarding breaking FFP rules. Der Spiegel has evidence that the last time this happened financial inducements were made to lessen the punishment.

City are under investigation from the FA, UEFA AND FIFA regarding breaking transfer rules.

But according to you they are doing nothing wrong and it's just Liverpool fans [ it's not just me - unless I control the national media who are all reporting this stuff to some degree except for the few who are happy to sweep it under the carpet ] playing the victim

Micon is that you?
__________________
This place looks terrible in widescreen...
aliman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 19:15   #944
Rob
Indie Author
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 4,009
Thanks: 34
Thanked 88 Times in 44 Posts
I think a few considered responses are required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
It’s just a bad taste song and City are strictly small time apart from the money.
Not sure that we are small time without the money. Before the takeover, we were always well supported, and had a respectable trophy record that, whilst not up there with United, Liverpool and Arsenal, was better than many. So, the money has taken us from medium-time to the top table where the club has used the money far more wisely than certain clubs. We've also had our fair share of top players and iconic moments, so I think the "small-time" label is a bit off the mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
City's pathetic response to the leaked video is shameful and factually incorrect. But totally in tune with a classless club.

City are under investigation from UEFA regarding breaking FFP rules. Der Spiegel has evidence that the last time this happened financial inducements were made to lessen the punishment.
Classless in what way? I'm not going to defend what the owners do in their own country, but what can the fans do? The Glazers own United, John Henry owns you lot and we've got the Shiekh. You don't suddenly change clubs because of who owns you.

They've injected eye-watering amounts into the club - not just the players but the backroom staff, the director of football and structural approach, the facilities and the community. In terms of how they've used the money, I'm not sure any football fan could complain. I don't see anything classless in all of this. It's also worth noting that whilst it took massive cash injections to get us up and running, we now have a lower wage bill than Liverpool.

As for Der Spiegel - I'm as interested as anybody to see how it all pans out, and if the club has done anything wrong, we'll be punished and we'll have to accept it. However, UEFA have shot themselves in the foot with the various leaks - people who know far more about this kind of stuff than you or I say that confidentiality is key and stuff like the NYTimes article seriously undermines any potential action.

I'd have thought that with a Champions League final to look forward to, you'd be more concerned about your own team rather than wasting time being bitter about not winning the league because of a series of "unfair" events that are mostly in your mind.
__________________
"Well I feel like pickin' a fight with anybody who claims they're right"

Last edited by Rob; 15-05-2019 at 19:16.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 06:49   #945
aliman5000
Clown X
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northants
Posts: 1,662
Thanks: 21
Thanked 46 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I'd have thought that with a Champions League final to look forward to, you'd be more concerned about your own team rather than wasting time being bitter about not winning the league because of a series of "unfair" events that are mostly in your mind.

__________________
This place looks terrible in widescreen...
aliman5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 11:05   #946
Rob
Indie Author
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 4,009
Thanks: 34
Thanked 88 Times in 44 Posts
OK, in actual news, we've now been referred to the CFCB adjudicatory chamber.
Rather than just saying "it's all ********", I see that now City are stating that the process has been poorly handled, evidence provided by the club has been ignored and that they are confident that when the evidence is looked at by an independent body, there will be a positive outcome.

or in other words. hang on to your hats because the gloves are off.
__________________
"Well I feel like pickin' a fight with anybody who claims they're right"
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 11:12   #947
Lee Brown
The Kraken Awakes!
 
Lee Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Oxford
Posts: 1,902
Thanks: 40
Thanked 62 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
It's also worth noting that whilst it took massive cash injections to get us up and running, we now have a lower wage bill than Liverpool.
Do City fans just repeat nonsense like this in a bid to make it appear more real?

The Der Speigel 'leaks' make clear that City have moved/sold their players image rights into a separate company to both count it as income (for FFP) and coincidentally to lower their wage bill. They also have most players on performance-related contracts, and given their success are clearly paying out significant bonuses on top of their basic salaries.

So, while their basic salaries (which don't include image right payments and performance bonuses, and cover only 448 staff) may be lower that Liverpool's total (which covers every employee, some 800 staff apparently), it's nonsense to suggest that their eventual wage bill is lower than Liverpool's.

Every City fan really knows that, but you're content to peddle the lie to cover your circumvention of FFP.
Lee Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 11:26   #948
Rob
Indie Author
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 4,009
Thanks: 34
Thanked 88 Times in 44 Posts
I'm not trying the peddle anything - it was something i read the other day. There was a league table of wages and City were third, behind United and Liverpool. I accept your point about the bonuses though.

I didn't come up with the table - I must have missed it when announced but when I checked, it was on the BBC news earlier this year.

Not sure why you're trying to pin FFP circumvention on me by the way. Unlike the vast majority of rival fans, I haven't had access to the UEFA documents detailing our supposed crimes, so I genuinely don't know whether we've breached any regulations.
__________________
"Well I feel like pickin' a fight with anybody who claims they're right"

Last edited by Rob; 16-05-2019 at 11:30.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 11:29   #949
The Bear
Old-gold and black member
 
The Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Molineux
Posts: 16,303
Thanks: 323
Thanked 1,500 Times in 471 Posts
All all clubs try to circumvent FFP, with varying degrees of success.

When Wolves were promoted we had bought players such as Neves and Jota who had Champions League experience, but paid them large promotion bonuses instead of big wages to help keep FFP in line.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 14:11   #950
AdamBrunt
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 24,542
Thanks: 131
Thanked 268 Times in 184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
All all clubs try to circumvent FFP, with varying degrees of success.

When Wolves were promoted we had bought players such as Neves and Jota who had Champions League experience, but paid them large promotion bonuses instead of big wages to help keep FFP in line.
Did Wolves tell the authorities they'd got an Ł85M sponsorship deal which was actually only worth Ł7M ?

I think it is a bit of a nonsense to say all clubs break FFP when everyone knows it is just a select few
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 14:31   #951
The Bear
Old-gold and black member
 
The Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Molineux
Posts: 16,303
Thanks: 323
Thanked 1,500 Times in 471 Posts
I didn't say all clubs break them, but they all try whatever they think they can get away with. Some push the envelope more than others obviously, with some inevitably going over the line at times.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 06:42   #952
Rob
Indie Author
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 4,009
Thanks: 34
Thanked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Fantastic finish to a brilliant season. Some of the football has been dazzling but it's been combined with some practicality and steel when needed.

There have been some amazing performances from the likes of Ederson, Laporte (Spurs QF aside), Fernandinho, Sterling and Aguero. Gundogan deserves a special mention for the way he stepped in when Fernandinho was injured - he's always been a good player but the way he's played these past few months: his reading of the game and his range of passing, has been top-drawer.

Best of all has been Bernardo Silva. To watch him feathering that ball with the outside of his foot as he ties defenders in knots is a thing of beauty. And he combines that with the tenacity of a bulldog. And absolute steal at Ł43M. Can't wait to see him and De Bruyne working in tandem next year.
__________________
"Well I feel like pickin' a fight with anybody who claims they're right"
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 07:48   #953
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Warrington
Posts: 22,763
Thanks: 283
Thanked 1,179 Times in 832 Posts
Hats off great season.

I remember chatting to some City fans in a pub at the station after just getting relegated from the PL, this was back in the day when you had no phones and you had to ask fellow fans "how did you get on?" to find scores as you made your way home. I really don't begrudge them a bit of success now.

I do wonder where all these fans were when you were in League 1 though

Great season, made all the greater than you weren't champions in all but name by Christmas.

Winning so many games in a row to retain the title, call City for their money if you like, but there really is far more to it than money, as Man Utd are finding out.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 10:14   #954
DeadYankee
.
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Posts: 34,008
Thanks: 1,155
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,082 Posts
League 2 club.
DeadYankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 10:43   #955
Rob
Indie Author
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 4,009
Thanks: 34
Thanked 88 Times in 44 Posts
That's an unexpected move from Kompany, but I guess he must have known about it for a while. Great opportunity for him, though and nobody deserves it more than him.
__________________
"Well I feel like pickin' a fight with anybody who claims they're right"
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 13:00   #956
Bravoman
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: W-S-M
Posts: 4,063
Thanks: 977
Thanked 233 Times in 146 Posts
Great season, think Kompany will be a big miss for you next year even though he didn’t make too many appearances in the league next year. I can see Anderlecht being your feeder club next year for young players...a bit like Derby and Chelsea this season.

Who do you play in the charity shield next year? Runners up in the Prem or FA Cup?

Last edited by Bravoman; 19-05-2019 at 14:51.
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 14:17   #957
Rob
Indie Author
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 4,009
Thanks: 34
Thanked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravoman View Post
Who do you play in the charity shield next year? Runners up in the Premier or FA Cup?
Liverpool.
__________________
"Well I feel like pickin' a fight with anybody who claims they're right"
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 14:53   #958
Bravoman
Trusted User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: W-S-M
Posts: 4,063
Thanks: 977
Thanked 233 Times in 146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Liverpool.

Could be a good game to start the season
Bravoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Manchester City Thread Alan b Sports Forum 1002 23-09-2012 17:28
The Manchester City Thread Alan b Sports Forum 1006 10-04-2012 12:24
The Manchester City Thread Alan b Sports Forum 1000 08-01-2012 19:12
The Manchester City thread Guest 34189 Sports Forum 1006 02-01-2009 18:30

All times are GMT. The time now is 23:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018 Poisonous Monkey Ltd. Part of The Digital Fix Network