Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum > Home Media Streaming Forum

Old 17-08-2008, 20:33   #1
Same as it ever was

Popcorn Hour A-110

Hello,

I know these are pretty new, not sure if you can even get them in the UK yet, but has anyone any feedback on this or the previous version?

I used to use XBMC, but then wanted HD content so just hooked my PC up to the plasma, but in my new baby-proof house I don't really want a big PC in the living room with wires trailing eveywhere, so I'm thinking of plugging a Popcorn Hour into the network and watching everything off that - is this a good option, or might I be better with a HTPC...?

Cheers

'66
1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2008, 21:20   #2
mr starface
He's on the Jazz again...

I've had one for months now and its fantastic. Plays pretty much all HD files I throw at it including ISO's, Xvids and the HD stuff looks fantastic. I stream all my files from the PC and it works fine (I use Light TPD).

Also you can get different types of Video Jukeboxs for the front end now which makes it even easie to use as you get a nice picture of all you video files with a synopsis, IMDB rating etc all sorted by genre.

Yes it will occasionally crash and the odd file wont play (usually due to being encoded badly) but its one of the best investments I've made in my AV equipment.
Old 17-08-2008, 23:54   #3
Guest 1752
Trusted User

The A-110 is a new model [previous is A-100 like I have] http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39...9298505,00.htm

I have mixed thoughts about this piece of kit. When it works properly, then yes, it's quite brilliant. However unless you are prepared to leave it permanantly in standby [I don't as a rule] then it seems to take a hissy fit in re-establishing 'contact' with my PCs.

I have already updated the firmware a couple of times, though haven't checked very recently because I can't get the damned thing to work at the moment!

I bought an HDMI switcher as I don't have enough ports on my TV for all my kit - maybe it doesn't like it - just read elsewhere that someone else has a similar problem with a switcher. I'm going to have to take another look at my setup I think.....

To finish on a more positive note, the PQ is much much better than my older Tvix M3000

Mr Starface, can you enlighten me as to what Light TPD is please? Would also be interested in checking out any compatible Video Jukebox software you could recommend. Ta.

Last edited by Faythur; 18-08-2008 at 00:02.
Guest 1752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 00:00   #4
Guest 1752
Trusted User

1966, Sorry, meant to add that the older A100 model can be had from Pixmania though I was able to import it a bit cheaper.

I'm sure they will eventually stock the new model too if you keep an eye out
Old 18-08-2008, 08:24   #5
mr starface

Light TPD is a free HTTP streaming client, I found it gave greater speeds than using myihome and also it can be used in conjunction with the popular "Yet Another Movie Jukebox" (YAMJ) utility you can download from http://code.google.com/p/moviejukebox/

Be aware that the Video Jukebox I mention (plus other similar ones that have been released) have been created by PCH users in their spare time so do need some configuration to setup. Nothing too taxing though and once its up and running your away

Your best bet is to have a look through the videojukebox section of the NeetworkMediaTank Forums Website (http://www.networkedmediatank.com/). Some very helpful people there who will be able to help you get it up and running and also might now the reason behind the problems you have had with the network switch?
Old 18-08-2008, 11:11   #6
Guest 1752
Trusted User

Many thanks Mr Starface for the info.

Have actually been doing a little searching myself and came across this one [I think he is a NMT forum member] http://www.treasure-cove.net/PCHrev3.htm which is really cool, however it does require additional software called Movie Collector which isn't a freebie, but I really like the look of it

See it in action here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHahN-an1jE

As an aside, I have reconnected the PCH directly to the TV and it's working OK again Only thing is, I wish they had put a reset button on this model as it never seems to start properly unless it's unplugged/replugged again after initial connection. Checked I have the latest firmware too.

Cheers

Apologies for 'highjacking' your thread 1966

Last edited by Faythur; 18-08-2008 at 11:12.
Old 19-08-2008, 16:51   #7
Same as it ever was

Thanks guys, they sound pretty slick then! Now I just need for someone in the UK to stock the A-110!
1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 17:45   #8
DrVenkman
Formerly GrossePointeJack

I don't think its happening yet. Aren't they sort of like mail order players? It seems all you can do is pre-order them. I was looking at getting one myself and just rigging up an external hard drive to it as I don't want the PC to be on at the same time. Otherwise I'd just use the 360/
It's quality. You can well imagine it hangin about with R2-D2. And when the fan is switched on it looks like it's scanning for life-forms like R2-D2 does on the ice world of Hoth when Luke Skywalker goes missing. Quality in moton. The other day it disappeared. I said, "where's the bag-l gone? have the jawas come to pick it up in the sandcrawler?" to which one of the girls in the office replied, "No, Les the porter!" —Captainchode
DrVenkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 20:52   #9
DrVenkman

Well ignoring my own last post I just ordered one of these badboys directly from the website themselves!

I got a quick question though. I'm using this to mainly back up all the dvd's I have, which is kind of the function my PC has at the moment. I've also started doing it for the TV shows I've bought on dvd. Question is, is there a similar thing to the video jukebox but for TV shows? I know that XBMC shows episode information etc and is arranged nicely so is there something similar for this yet?
It's quality. You can well imagine it hangin about with R2-D2. And when the fan is switched on it looks like it's scanning for life-forms like R2-D2 does on the ice world of Hoth when Luke Skywalker goes missing. Quality in moton. The other day it disappeared. I said, "where's the bag-l gone? have the jawas come to pick it up in the sandcrawler?" to which one of the girls in the office replied, "No, Les the porter!" —Captainchode
Old 17-12-2008, 22:43   #10
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

have one of these ordered and on its way - delivery tomorrow.
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 07:39   #11
wkc
Trusted User

Sorry, cannot find any pictures / info on the web re: the user interface. I've tried MediaPortal on a PC and can download .jpgs associated with movies. What is the user interface like on the Popcorn. Is it all text based, or is there the option to download .jpgs also? Also is there the option to change the text size (to compensate for the viewing distance)?

Additionally, can it really replace a PC based system?

Seasons Greetings.
wkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 08:56   #12
mr starface

The standard interface used on PCH is text based using myIhome but you can use one of the many user developed interfaces that give you a whole new front end including artwork and info for movies.

Best bet is to check out the user forums, they are very helpful.

It can replace a PC based system completely if your using an attached hard drive. I store all my films on my PC and stream to the PCH.
Old 24-12-2008, 13:13   #13
Dan
Passed away :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky_uk View Post
have one of these ordered and on its way - delivery tomorrow.
Where did you get it from?
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 15:00   #14
mr_woo
Gamertag: Al Benicio

Quick question about the popcorn hour, can you transfer files from an external hard drive to an internal hard drive (if you've installed one) ? Does it have some sort of file mode for transferring etc ?

Mine's not going to be hooked up to a network so I will be using hard drives exclusively, external and hopefully internal too.
Old 24-12-2008, 16:20   #15
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Not sure about that Mr Woo - probably best checking out http://www.networkedmediatank.com/

I FTP from my PC drive to the Popcorn hours internal drive, with an 8gb file gebnerally taking about 20 minutes to get across. I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to.

I bought mine from Advanced MP3 Players though I think they might have upped the price now as demand is immense.

Ordered and delivered within 2 days - impressive company.

EDIT - you can also connect the PCH unit itself to your pc and transfer files via USB

Last edited by maddogsuk; 24-12-2008 at 16:52. Reason: Please remember the affiliates
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 00:38   #16
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Where did you get it from?
same place as Lou. excellent service and 2 days from order to delivery.

a nice bit of kit, no more converting of MKV's to play via 360 anymore

fitted a 1TB HDD in it and FTP stuff across from PC.

Not changed the theme yet or installed YAMJ (thats this weekends tinkering probably!) so its just the stock menu system but had no issues whatsoever yet.
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 09:51   #17
Dan

What file system does it use?
Old 25-12-2008, 11:19   #18
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Ext2 or Ext3 - Linux system. You need to install a driver on your pc for your pc to see the pch via USB
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 12:04   #19
Dan

That's it i'm getting one.
Old 25-12-2008, 19:20   #20
DrVenkman

I love mine, I've got YAMJ off the forums there as well and it's looking lovely (Still not able to beat the XBMC interface though, and likely won't). Also transferring the files via USB goes so much quicker for me than FTP'ing it.

Added a shoutcast plugin as well so have all my internet radio on there. The only problem is that it's rubbish playing music, and none of the music jukeboxes are really any closer to fixing that.