Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Old 06-01-2015, 10:34   #681
bronso
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
the humour was pretty adolescent. It was like reading someone who really thinks they're funny only for much to fall flat.
You keep saying that, but maybe it just wasn't your sense of humor? I just opened the book to a random page (p. 79 in my copy):
I'll saturate the ground with most of the water I have. Then, I'll deactivate the atmospheric regulator, so it doesn't pull water out of the air. It'll be humid as hell, and water will condense on every surface. That'll keep the potatoes well watered while I'm away.
A bigger problem is CO2. The potatoes need to breathe. I know what you're thinking. "Mark, old chap! You produce carbon dioxide! It's all part of the majestic circle of nature!"
The problem is: Where will I put it? Sure, I exhale CO2 with every breath, but I don't have any way to store it.
Nothing about this reads as adolescent or like "an intelligent 13-year-old" to me. It's informal, chatty, and he makes a little joke. You know, like a person might if he's trying to keep it light. Personally I think it works; you're free to disagree, of course, but if we accept that Mark is naturally upbeat and a joker (as the NASA spokesperson says he is), it seems like the way he might realistically talk or write.
bronso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:52   #682
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronso View Post
You keep saying that, but maybe it just wasn't your sense of humor? I just opened the book to a random page (p. 79 in my copy):
I'll saturate the ground with most of the water I have. Then, I'll deactivate the atmospheric regulator, so it doesn't pull water out of the air. It'll be humid as hell, and water will condense on every surface. That'll keep the potatoes well watered while I'm away.
A bigger problem is CO2. The potatoes need to breathe. I know what you're thinking. "Mark, old chap! You produce carbon dioxide! It's all part of the majestic circle of nature!"
The problem is: Where will I put it? Sure, I exhale CO2 with every breath, but I don't have any way to store it.
Nothing about this reads as adolescent or like "an intelligent 13-year-old" to me. It's informal, chatty, and he makes a little joke. You know, like a person might if he's trying to keep it light. Personally I think it works; you're free to disagree, of course, but if we accept that Mark is naturally upbeat and a joker (as the NASA spokesperson says he is), it seems like the way he might realistically talk or write.
Im with you on this
Had the main character been uptight and serious, well I doubt id have made it past the first chapter

Why does someone who has the ability to be an astronaut have to be up tight and serious, certainly someone who thinks that the end really is nigh and has just his own company for rest of life.
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:36   #683
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Where do I say that he has to be uptight? How about where he's facing near death and he makes a joke about being Iron Man; and when the character trying to save him makes a comment to him, he corrects them again on calling him Iron Man. Sorry, don't buy it.

And don't get me started on his "yay" comments.

As for the ending: he has to make a point about how humanity will rally around in a crisis and are actually all fluffy bunnies really - does that need to be said? Of course people are naturally altruistic, it didn't need spelling out in the mawkish manner he manages to do so. It's pure syrup.

Also, how come an intelligent NASA trained astronaut - who knows his chemical and mathematical formulas inside out and is able to do everything from creating his own water and oxygen to his own bio garden - doesn't know that the 'L' in LCD stands for 'Liquid'?

It's not terrible but he could very well be to sci-fi what Dan Brown is to historical fiction. Heavy on the facts, but can't write people for ****.

Last edited by Ratfink; 07-01-2015 at 09:09.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:41   #684
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Started Wayward (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 2) the other night and it's good. Far better than the first book.

It should make a pretty interesting series.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:07   #685
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratfink View Post
It's not terrible but he could very well be to sci-fi what Dan Brown is to historical fiction. Heavy on the facts, but can't write people for ****.
25% in and I agree with this - it's an interesting story, but the writing is pretty poor. "and then I did this, and then I did that" kind of thing over and over.

EDIT - Just got to the bit about ASCII tables and priority inversion in thread management - now this is more like it!

Last edited by Rob; 06-01-2015 at 12:49.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:29   #686
nutter45
burninator

Just started A Little History of the World by Ernst Gombrich. A few chapters in and it's very good so far.
nutter45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:19   #687
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Half way through The Martian (thanks to the folks here for the recommendation) - it is a gripping read, and I like the style of his own narrative, but the bits set on Earth are definitely low rent in terms of writing style - veering dangerously close to a pulp fiction level of quality.

I noticed this especially as I've just finished John Irving's Last Night in Twisted River, a virtuoso piece of story telling and elegantly crafted prose.
Old 16-01-2015, 20:04   #688
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonI View Post
Half way through The Martian (thanks to the folks here for the recommendation) - it is a gripping read, and I like the style of his own narrative, but the bits set on Earth are definitely low rent in terms of writing style - veering dangerously close to a pulp fiction level of quality.
Finished "The Martian" today - I think that you've hit the nail on the head here in that Watney's narrative is actually very well scripted, it's just the other bits that feel poorly-written. Learning that Pythagoras was a dick and why Vogel is a super-villain were among several laugh out loud moments.

It definitely won me over by the end of the book and I think that it will make a terrific film.
Old 17-01-2015, 02:42   #689
dataloss
Cyberspace Addict

I'm reading the Matt Drake series by David Leadbeater on my Kindle, I've completed the first 4 and I'm a 3rd of the way through book 5. Worth a spin if you like some pulp action adventure and treasure hunting.

Last edited by dataloss; 17-01-2015 at 02:43.
dataloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 21:19   #690
sleep4ever
Trusted User

Moriarty - Anthony Horowitz - found it slow and lazy, a shame as I enjoyed House of Silk immensely.

The Missing and The Dead - Stuart Macbride - Just exceptional.
sleep4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 09:20   #691
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
...[The Martian] definitely won me over by the end of the book and I think that it will make a terrific film.

Now onto something completely different - Etruscan Places by DH Lawrence.
Old 22-01-2015, 09:59   #692
nutter45
burninator

Just finished The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch.

I'm now on something a little lighter, How I won the yellow jumper by Ned Boulting, which is truly excellent.
nutter45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 17:53   #693
Blokie
Don't Ask...

Thanks to recommendations on here I've recently finished The Martian and Ready Player One, and really enjoyed both (and Raftink is wrong about The Martian!).

Started The Girl With All The Gifts today.....

My Credit Card Bill
Blokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 19:31   #694
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blokie View Post
(and Raftink is wrong about The Martian!).
No I'm not. If you like poor writing, that's up to you.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 19:38   #695
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Started the first of The Last Policeman trilogy yesterday...almost finished it already and it's excellent. Highly recommended.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:49   #696
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

I really enjoyed Etruscan Places - beautifully written and really intriguing.

Now onto J.L. Carr's A Month in the Country, in a lovely 1999 Folio edition. Shaping up to be a lot more than just a country idyll.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:06   #697
allan175
Trusted User

Currently reading The Eyre Affair, the book for next month at my local scifi/fantasy book club.

It's awful, I get the feeling it's supposed to be funny but if it is I just don't get it at all.

Can't wait to get it finished so I can read something good!
Old 11-02-2015, 17:28   #698
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Revisiting William Gibson's Sprawl trilogy at the moment. Neuromancer down and onto Count Zero now.

Xbox Live Tag - "Weaselfierce360"
PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
STEAM ID - "WeaselFierce"
WeaselFierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 20:57   #699
gjkendall
Gooner

Just started Nick Cutters 'The Troop'...

Next on the pile....something from Clive Barker, probably 'The Great And Secret Show'.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:02   #700
MARKMAN
**** pretentious ****

I'm halfway through Perfidia - a great read and classic James Ellroy, with some characters in it from other books.