Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Old 29-11-2014, 18:28   #661
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

Where do people recommend for downloading audio books? I'm against the idea of paying a premium to buy them and a monthly Audible subscription on top, and I won't listen to them often enough to justify it with the free book per month either so it there anywhere else decent without such a commitment?
Old 29-11-2014, 18:44   #662
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Where do people recommend for downloading audio books? I'm against the idea of paying a premium to buy them and a monthly Audible subscription on top, and I won't listen to them often enough to justify it with the free book per month either so it there anywhere else decent without such a commitment?
I just use audible with the monthly tokens and cancel if I ever get too many books on my plate. You always have access to your library anyway so I just stop and start as needed.

Xbox Live Tag - "Weaselfierce360"
PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
STEAM ID - "WeaselFierce"
WeaselFierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 18:49   #663
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

Sorry if this is a silly question, so you can still listen to the books you've paid for if you stop your subscription?
Old 29-11-2014, 19:37   #664
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Sorry if this is a silly question, so you can still listen to the books you've paid for if you stop your subscription?
Absolutely. Your library is yours and always accessible by logging in. Halting the subscription just means you have to pay full price for new books (or simply restart another subscription).

Xbox Live Tag - "Weaselfierce360"
PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
STEAM ID - "WeaselFierce"
WeaselFierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 21:31   #665
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

Ah, excellent. I'll have to give the free trial a whirl when I have more time to make use of it properly.
Old 30-11-2014, 09:39   #666
Mike Mither
Trusted User

Mrs Mither loves audiobooks and uses Audible, pays for two tokens per month - which I think is around £15 - and I think that pretty much does for her. She's also a member of Manchester Libraries and can use their audiobook service for free, same principles as a normal lending service. I should imagine many authorities will operate the same sort of thing...?
Old 30-11-2014, 12:03   #667
umajets
full time scribbler

I buy the yearly Audible sub- I think it works out to about £4.50 per book. I know it's a big outlay, but once it's paid you're pretty much set for getting 2 books a month for the year.

Membership Plan Description:
24 book annual membership: £109.99 a year.
Receive 24 credits each year - all at once.
Roll over up to 36 credits per year.
Enjoy select titles and samples free.

I listen as I work so tend to get through audiobooks quickly. Audible also offer 3 credits for £11 when my normal credits run out. I've bought a few of those too.
umajets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:54   #668
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Last night in Twister River - John Irving. A master story teller, even if his style is getting more pronounced every year.
Old 04-12-2014, 00:20   #669
JimLin
A bald dyslexic epileptic

I'm another who read The Martian, based on the recommendations on here. It was good a good concept, but it didn't really grab me in the way that I thought it would.

I have just read 'The girl with all the gifts' and thought it was superb!! The plot played out perfectly and all the character well rounded out. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:06   #670
roddy
Trusted User

Reading The Strain just now - loved the beginning, but finding it a bit repetitive towards then end. Worth the 99p I paid for it I guess.
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 20:02   #671
VurtHed
No Bounce, No Play

The Martian has just won the SciFi category of the Goodreads reader poll for 2014.

Also dropped in price on Kindle: kindle- bargain thread

Was going to pick it up at some point based on posts in this thread, but the above gave me a push and I've just picked it up.

I'm reading Red Seas Under Red Skies (Locke Lamora/Gentlemen ************ 2) at the moment, and enjoying it as much as the first.
VurtHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 20:19   #672
dunkle
Trusted User

Just over halfway through ready player one
First half very good but last few pages or so have lacked something
Could have done without a couple of instances or at least them being trimmed but on whole enjoying it

See mention of a movie. Not sure how they would do it as surerly have loads of licensing issues
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 16:10   #673
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Finally finished The Martian last night. Thoroughly enjoyed it - highly recommended.

It'll be interesting to see how the film turns out.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 07:33   #674
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

I'm about half-way through The Last Passenger. It's hard to recommned at the moment to be honest. Very pedestrian. It's not anything so far - not scary enough to be a horror... not intriguing enough to be a mystery.

I'll stick with it as it's not that long, but after the Martian which kept me up at night, I'm finding this a chore.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 15:43   #675
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

I finished Time's Arrow by Martin Amis. Been sitting on the shelf for ages, that one.

Really enjoyed it - after some time. Wasn't sure when it started, but once you realise where the lead character's (backwards) journey takes him, it becomes more powerful, with some extraordinary images and a rather moving ending. Once in a while Amis writes the most beautiful passage. So, in the style of the book:

I thought about it quite a bit, considering I already knew the contents. An incredibly moving book, that became less apparent as it continued. The more I read, the less I understood about the character's motives. After a while I began losing interest, leading to mild intrigue as I closed the book and put it on the shelf. I can't remember a thing about it, I should probably read it.
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 11:56   #676
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

So finally started the Martian - the missus loved it, incidentally - and am about 13% in.

It's like "Science, Bitch!" the novel. I don't understand why a NASA scientist talks like a teenager, with his constant "Yay!" comments and phrases like "things got a bit explodey". While I admire the ingenuity of it, I'm finding it a bit lacking in charisma, and the witty asides get a bit grating and/or fall flat for the most part.

So count me out of the fan club so far. As I say, still got a way to go, but I can't say I'm warming to the lead character. Could be an interesting film though if they make it a bit more grown up.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:12   #677
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Finished The Martian. My initial thoughts remain, it's like a very intelligent and resourceful 13 year old becoming stranded on Mars. I welcome humour, but much of it fell flat I thought. Also, he seemed to write caricatures over characters - a lot of the NASA stuff particularly made me wince. Still, it kept me with it and I was curious to see how it panned out. Should make for an interesting movie if they quit with the melodrama and goofiness.

Last edited by Ratfink; 06-01-2015 at 09:08.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:10   #678
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

It was the humour & lightness of character that was a breath of fresh air IMO in a genre that normally feels cold & stale due to the lack of humour & characterisation & concentrates in pummelling you over the head with hard science.

I suspect with Ridley Scott directing & Damon as the lead, the movie will dial back on the funny...
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:11   #679
bronso
Trusted User

Each to their own taste, but based on people I have known (young researchers, scientists, a pilot and a couple of people who worked at NASA), the breezy joking is pretty realistic. Just because someone can do equations doesn't mean they're humorless, and genuine geeky pleasure in technology, cool experiments or what-have-you is usually what attracted them to the field in the first place.

Personally I enjoyed the narrator "voice". If you didn't, I can understand it being a slog, since that's such a huge part of the book. To me the NASA bits felt weaker mostly because they lacked that tone.

I agree that the book isn't exactly a deep character study, and the author has even admitted that he decided to just ignore the psychological effects of prolonged isolation because he felt it would be too depressing. It's interesting to give the part to Matt Damon in the film adaptation, right after a film where that's what his role was all about. I don't see how people can help comparing and contrasting the two.
bronso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:56   #680
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
It was the humour & lightness of character that was a breath of fresh air IMO in a genre that normally feels cold & stale due to the lack of humour & characterisation & concentrates in pummelling you over the head with hard science.
Don't have a problem with that, but the humour was pretty adolescent. It was like reading someone who really thinks they're funny only for much to fall flat. But the general dialogue was pretty poor - there was no zing to the writing, no bite. Just a bunch of high-fiving smart-ass caricatures as I say. Like someone who (admittedly) knows their science, but bases his characterisation on Hollywood movies.