Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Old 16-11-2014, 13:42   #641
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

I've got The Martian ready to go on my Kindle once I've finished Lee Child's Tripwire. I don't know much about it as I want it to be a complete surprise, but I have seen a few people say it is written in a similar way to Ernest Cline's Ready Player One which is one of the best books I've ever read.
Old 16-11-2014, 15:42   #642
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I've got The Martian ready to go on my Kindle once I've finished Lee Child's Tripwire. I don't know much about it as I want it to be a complete surprise, but I have seen a few people say it is written in a similar way to Ernest Cline's Ready Player One which is one of the best books I've ever read.
Will look that up
The Martian is just brilliant
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 22:02   #643
Mike Mither
Trusted User

I loved The Martian - so pleased it's getting the recognition it deserves.

I'm currently on Whitstable by Stephen Volk, the novella about Peter Cushing who's deep in mourning after the death of his beloved wife, and then a young boy begs for his help, because he's Van Helsing, right? The boy is being attacked by a real-life monster and reaches out to a hero, only Cushing isn't Van Helsing, he's a grieving, ageing man riddled with doubts. Really good stuff so far.
Old 18-11-2014, 15:05   #644
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mither View Post
I loved The Martian - so pleased it's getting the recognition it deserves.

I'm currently on Whitstable by Stephen Volk, the novella about Peter Cushing who's deep in mourning after the death of his beloved wife, and then a young boy begs for his help, because he's Van Helsing, right? The boy is being attacked by a real-life monster and reaches out to a hero, only Cushing isn't Van Helsing, he's a grieving, ageing man riddled with doubts. Really good stuff so far.
Hope The Martian is safe in hands of Ridley Scott and (a) they use first person voice overs for the logs (b) they keep the humor and (b) they dont change the ending

Just started Ready Player One (see told you I listen to what people say here) - loving the first Chapter, Willy Wonker 2K
Old 18-11-2014, 17:16   #645
statto
Jedi Master

Ready Player One is a great book if you're of a certain age. Children of the '80s should love it.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 17:17   #646
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle View Post
Just started Ready Player One (see told you I listen to what people say here) - loving the first Chapter, Willy Wonker 2K
I look forward to your thoughts when you finish it. It may be the case that it's a better book if you are old enough to appreciate all the 80s pop culture references. Basically, I may have gotten more from it because of being an old ******* of 43.

EDIT: Narrowly beaten to it by statto!
Old 18-11-2014, 17:19   #647
statto
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanSWardle View Post
Finished The Martian
Brilliant
Fist time I ever read anything like it
Anything similar that's so easily accessible.
Not similar per se, but Tunnel in the Sky by Robert Heinlein is about a group of teenagers who go on an interplanetary exam/mission which is meant to last for a week but they get stranded. I loved reading it as a kid.

Not nearly as technical as The Martian, and because there is a group it deals more with societal structure.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 17:25   #648
Steve Jackson
Lethargic Video Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mither View Post
Oooh, I like the premise. Only £2.04 on Kindle too so I've grabbed it. I usually just download samples of recommendations on forums as reminders of which books to buy later on but as it's short I'll try and squeeze it in before I start on The Martian.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 18-11-2014, 19:30   #649
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
I look forward to your thoughts when you finish it. It may be the case that it's a better book if you are old enough to appreciate all the 80s pop culture references. Basically, I may have gotten more from it because of being an old ******* of 43.

EDIT: Narrowly beaten to it by statto!
38 and got them all so far
Old 19-11-2014, 08:06   #650
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

I've jumped on the Martian bandwagon and I'm loving it. Only about 7% of the way in and completely hooked.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 14:45   #651
Sabre UK
Trusted User

Just wanted to add that thanks to the recommendations here, I'm almost finished with The Martian. Really enjoying it and going to try Ready Player One next.

The Martian is a welcome change from my usual Jack Reacher and Roy Grace series of books both of which I also very much enjoy.
Old 19-11-2014, 16:19   #652
umajets
full time scribbler

Just to add to 'The Martian' love - great book, and I recommend the audiobook, the narrator is excellent - really brings the character to life.

Finished Stephen King's 'Revival' - didn't particularly enjoy it, quite forgettable I thought.

Enjoyed 'As you wish - Tales from the making of The Princess Bride' by Cary Elwes. Goes a bit 'luvvie' with the actorly praise, but on the whole an enjoyable read. I immediately rewatched the film after finishing the book, so it must have done something right!

Currently listening to Mark Ellen's 'Rock stars stole my life' and got Danny Baker's autobiography lined up next.

My favourite book of the last few months is The First Fifteen lives of Harry August.
umajets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 17:15   #653
allan175
Trusted User

Reading The Girl With All the Gifts really enjoying it, not what I expected when I started it.
Old 19-11-2014, 17:30   #654
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by umajets View Post
Just to add to 'The Martian' love - great book, and I recommend the audiobook, the narrator is excellent - really brings the character to life.
You sold me. I bought the kindle version a few days ago due to the high praise hereabouts. Between Amazon pimping me the audible version for £3.99, my just finishing my current audiobook walking to work this morning and your recommendation I feel the stars are against me.

Xbox Live Tag - "Weaselfierce360"
PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
STEAM ID - "WeaselFierce"
WeaselFierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 17:33   #655
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by umajets View Post

Finished Stephen King's 'Revival' - didn't particularly enjoy it, quite forgettable I thought.

Enjoyed 'As you wish - Tales from the making of The Princess Bride' by Cary Elwes. Goes a bit 'luvvie' with the actorly praise, but on the whole an enjoyable read. I immediately rewatched the film after finishing the book, so it must have done something right!

Currently listening to Mark Ellen's 'Rock stars stole my life' and got Danny Baker's autobiography lined up next.

My favourite book of the last few months is The First Fifteen lives of Harry August.
Have Harry August lined up too thanks to here
Old 19-11-2014, 17:36   #656
dunkle
Trusted User

Oh and girl with all the gifts added to
Old 19-11-2014, 18:08   #657
Mike Mither
Trusted User

Quote:
Oooh, I like the premise. Only £2.04 on Kindle too so I've grabbed it. I usually just download samples of recommendations on forums as reminders of which books to buy later on but as it's short I'll try and squeeze it in before I start on The Martian.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Ah God, the pressure! Hope you like it. I found it a great little book that paid proper homage to Lord Cushing.
Old 27-11-2014, 08:16   #658
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

After all the love here, I picked up 'The Martian'. Haven't got round to it yet.

My missus just finished 'The Stand' which I recommended to her - her second Stephen King - and she loved it. I asked her last night what she was reading now, and she said, 'The Martian'. Pure chance as I hadn't mentioned it. Anyway, she's a quick reader, but quickly echoed the praise here - she said it's terrific!
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 09:56   #659
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Ah I have an old Folio Society of Walden which I'll need to dig into at some point. How you finding it?
Finally finished Walden. I found the first few chapters hard going as it was mostly philosophy (a lot of which is very perceptive); but it improves enormously when it gets to chapters like "The Pond" where he describes the environs and his life there. From then on it was fascinating.
Old 29-11-2014, 17:39   #660
Ratfink
Cranky ol' dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Try The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.
After that, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to say "I don't like fantasy" again

Regular readers of these pages are probably bored by seeing me recommend this book on every conceivable thread. No, I'm not on commission, I don't know the author, but the book is simply a game changer.
I'd almost forgotten about this recommendation, but happened across this book in a charity shop today for the bargainous sum of fifty pence. As that price I figured I'd give it a go!
Ratfink is offline   Reply With Quote