Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Home Entertainment Hardware forum

Old 12-02-2015, 17:30   #1361
basegreen
neergesab

I was on a serious wind up about it.

Them: Can you tell me what the primary reason for you leaving Sky was (after 14yrs)?
Me: The enormous amount of Cashback as a new customer.
Them OK...b...
Me: No, sorry, I meant to say the 2TB box that was half the price as a new customer
Them: OK I'll change that answe...
Me: No, actually just put that my monthly fee is literally halved. Or maybe the free multiroom and SkyGo Extra.
Them: OK. Which one.
Me: You choose.

To be fair to sky, it must be hard to grow their subscriber base. The product itself is very good*. Took only three days from ordering to it all working perfectly.

*apart from the Sky+ software being worse than Tivo was in the early 00s

Last edited by basegreen; 12-02-2015 at 17:32.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 17:47   #1362
Q
Yee Ol Forum Pirate Ahhhh

Agreed Tivo was better in 99 Software wise than Sky is today. Freeview PVR's are better than sky and if you unplug it,it takes longer to boot up than Jet Set Willy did on the Speccy!
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
pigpicker (12-02-2015)
Old 13-02-2015, 09:41   #1363
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Any suggestions of a way to get a hidef signal from the Sky box downstairs in the living room at the front of the house to the TV upstairs at the back?

I don't mind wires outside the house - already have an RF cable going round to use TV Link - would be nice to be able to use that cable but I think it's unlikely? Would be nice to leave the TV Link in place too, just for the remote.
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 09:55   #1364
nutter45
burninator

The Official Sky HD Thread and FAQ

Coax and cat 5, with converters
nutter45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 14:37   #1365
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

Okay - random question, can my Sky HD box knacker my broadband connection? I've had a few issues of late where the sky box is stuck at initialising, so powering down and restarting it have fixed that.

But the incidents now are around other devices such as my ipad, nexus, laptop and various phones and the Ps4 all losing connectivity. I initially thought it was my laptop, but the problem is still happening despite the laptop being switched off.

I've disconnected the LAN cable from the HD box to see if that does anything - just wondered if anyone else had that same problem?
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 14:51   #1366
wen
What?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
Okay - random question, can my Sky HD box knacker my broadband connection? I've had a few issues of late where the sky box is stuck at initialising, so powering down and restarting it have fixed that.

But the incidents now are around other devices such as my ipad, nexus, laptop and various phones and the Ps4 all losing connectivity. I initially thought it was my laptop, but the problem is still happening despite the laptop being switched off.

I've disconnected the LAN cable from the HD box to see if that does anything - just wondered if anyone else had that same problem?
Yup, i've had a right game of late, everything seemed to have gone tits up with regards to connecting to the internet, in the end i've had to change the channel on the BT hub. The 2nd box in the kitchen couldn't even connect to the hub.
Everything seems fine now i've changed the channel so i'd give it a try and see what happens.
wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Mr Flibble (13-02-2015)
Old 13-02-2015, 14:57   #1367
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wen View Post
Yup, i've had a right game of late, everything seemed to have gone tits up with regards to connecting to the internet, in the end i've had to change the channel on the BT hub. The 2nd box in the kitchen couldn't even connect to the hub.
Everything seems fine now i've changed the channel so i'd give it a try and see what happens.

Hmmm, good to see i'm not going mad then! So far everything been alright today, it's just a right pain getting disconnected so often! I've got a BT hub myself, I'll try changing the channel on it too, hopefully that might resolve things
Old 13-02-2015, 19:02   #1368
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,291 Times in 911 Posts
Is my Sky+ box functioning properly, not had it long but getting sick of it not picking a series link up properly. It won't pick up Star Trek on SYFY, just won't accept that the next episode tomorrow is part of the same series. If I set something to record on Atlantic it'll record the one series like Boardwalk empire but not the next series.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 19:56   #1369
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbullivant View Post
Is my Sky+ box functioning properly, not had it long but getting sick of it not picking a series link up properly. It won't pick up Star Trek on SYFY, just won't accept that the next episode tomorrow is part of the same series. If I set something to record on Atlantic it'll record the one series like Boardwalk empire but not the next series.
Pretty much..Id hazard a guess its a fault of the software or broadcasters to not sending the signals..More likely the software.
There's probaly a reason Sky never want the boxes back when you cancel because as kit goes,they arent the best quality usually.
Old 13-02-2015, 20:03   #1370
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Looks like I'll be rebooting mine again this weekend. No series link stiff showing for next week again.
Old 13-02-2015, 20:45   #1371
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Why not just do a planner rebuild instead of a reboot, it fixed mine.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Ste7en (14-02-2015)
Old 14-02-2015, 07:06   #1372
wen
What?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flibble View Post
Hmmm, good to see i'm not going mad then! So far everything been alright today, it's just a right pain getting disconnected so often! I've got a BT hub myself, I'll try changing the channel on it too, hopefully that might resolve things
Ok, hubby recorded something last night on sky box and the connection dropped almost immediately and its continued to be unusable ever since.
I've now changed channel again, looks like a new hub for us.
wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 07:33   #1373
Mr Flibble
Trusted User

I'll keep an eye out then, so far its been alright
Old 18-02-2015, 20:30   #1374
Jabbitt
Quick Stop Clerk

I phoned up sky to get them to re-pair my viewing card with my old white Sky+ box as the HD one has had it! (at least 3 reboots a day, can't change channel or see what recordings, let alone view them etc!)

When she realized I was downgrading, she checked how long I'd had the Sky+HD box (4 years and it was 2nd hand but she didn't know that!) and offered me a brand new free Sky+HD box with built in wifi.

The catch was 6 months of HD at £2.50 a month for 6 months which rises to the standard £5 for the rest of the year.

That will do nicely!
Old 20-02-2015, 23:39   #1375
powder
Trusted User

After doing the cancellation thing i got the usual missed calls, and then offers of up to 35% off on My Sky online.

We were paying £82.50 a month, for the works, in HD, with a multiroom box. That's been dropped something like £23 a month to a touch over £59.

Rolling contract, discount applies for 10months. Will settle for that at the moment.

The customer services/sales guy was a total pr**k though. Started on about how it was a new package and blah blah you get boxsets now - erm i do already, i've been watching them over my fibre connection recently. But what he means is that whatever package we got before, has now been rebranded.

I don't really care if we paid £x for HD before, then paid for Sky Go Extra, but due to Multiroom get a refund - i just want to confirm that we're getting what we already had, and how much it is.

They get so busy tripping themselves up with bits of script. So annoying
powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 23:48   #1376
powder
Trusted User

Also - a quick query for those in the know.

When using Netflix - so long as only 2 people are using it at the same time it's fine for us as we are on a 2 viewer package. It doesn't matter if it's my Note 3, the iPad or my Nexus 7 2013 tablet, or on the computer using Chrome.

Sky Go used to be a royal PITA as you had "registered" devices, and could only change them once a month.

Is that still the case? Or can you us various phones/tablets and just watch as many at the same time as your account allows?

(i suspect not, but worth asking)

Well i have tried it now, sitting at my desktop PC. As soon as i tried to watch anything protected i get the "manage my devices" recommendation.

This is one area Netflix really are great. Pay for your subscription, watch it whenever you want on whatever device. Get a new phone, fine, tablet fine. On Sky even if you've lost or upgraded your phone you are stuck till you hit the month point. So backwards.

Last edited by powder; 21-02-2015 at 00:10. Reason: Outcome as expected
powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2015, 11:36   #1377
TigaSefi
Xbox Live/PS3 : TigaSefi

I haven't used Sky Go as every time I use it, it asks for my authorisation to charge me £5 for the privilege. I think not! Just as well as I am leaving in about 15 days time.
Old 24-02-2015, 16:36   #1378
Deron
PS4 Gamertag: D3RONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder View Post
Also - a quick query for those in the know.

When using Netflix - so long as only 2 people are using it at the same time it's fine for us as we are on a 2 viewer package. It doesn't matter if it's my Note 3, the iPad or my Nexus 7 2013 tablet, or on the computer using Chrome.

Sky Go used to be a royal PITA as you had "registered" devices, and could only change them once a month.

Is that still the case? Or can you us various phones/tablets and just watch as many at the same time as your account allows?

(i suspect not, but worth asking)

Well i have tried it now, sitting at my desktop PC. As soon as i tried to watch anything protected i get the "manage my devices" recommendation.

This is one area Netflix really are great. Pay for your subscription, watch it whenever you want on whatever device. Get a new phone, fine, tablet fine. On Sky even if you've lost or upgraded your phone you are stuck till you hit the month point. So backwards.
pita...

1 change per calendar month. When Sky Go came to PS3 I was fortunate as it was near to the end of the month.

I'd already installed it on my Oneplus One that month.
Old 24-02-2015, 22:43   #1379
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by powder View Post
After doing the cancellation thing i got the usual missed calls, and then offers of up to 35% off on My Sky online.

We were paying £82.50 a month, for the works, in HD, with a multiroom box. That's been dropped something like £23 a month to a touch over £59.

Rolling contract, discount applies for 10months. Will settle for that at the moment.

The customer services/sales guy was a total pr**k though. Started on about how it was a new package and blah blah you get boxsets now - erm i do already, i've been watching them over my fibre connection recently. But what he means is that whatever package we got before, has now been rebranded.

I don't really care if we paid £x for HD before, then paid for Sky Go Extra, but due to Multiroom get a refund - i just want to confirm that we're getting what we already had, and how much it is.

They get so busy tripping themselves up with bits of script. So annoying
Had you held out abit longer then 50% off is usually what they keep offering you if you dont take it up.
Old 24-02-2015, 22:46   #1380
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigaSefi View Post
I haven't used Sky Go as every time I use it, it asks for my authorisation to charge me £5 for the privilege. I think not! Just as well as I am leaving in about 15 days time.
Are you trying to download stuff or got more than 2 devices registered already? If so its trying to upgrade you to Sky Go Extra which is £5.