Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 14-07-2007, 12:10   #1
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,630 Times in 773 Posts
The DVD Forums 100 Best Classic Films

Welcome to the DVD Forums Best 100 Best Classic Films poll.

Below is a simple form - you need to enter your forums username and password and then your ten best classic film nominations in order of 1 (the best) down to 10. The number 1 title you nominate will get 10 points, down to 1 point for number 10.

At the end of the voting period (14th August), we'll collate the entries and then see which films are the top 100 as voted for by forum members...

Its ONE vote per person, and please make an effort to spell titles correctly with the correct capitalisation.

Only films released prior to and including 1980 are eligible

Please use the IMDB titles to aid vote collation where possible

Old 14-07-2007, 15:01   #2
the thing with no name
ex-B&B owner

Can i confirm if films released in 1980 count?
The discussion in the other poll thread said including 1980, but above it says prior to 1980. I have two films released in 1980 that i would include if thats allowed

Thanks!
Old 14-07-2007, 21:46   #3
ColinP
Egomaniac / Snowflake

Thanked 1,630 Times in 773 Posts
Fine by me
Old 15-07-2007, 06:42   #4
Guest 20765
Bathing in minutiae

I've had my first bash - doubtless will edit before deadline. I have films from all decades from 30s to 70s, more 70s than other decades, which probably reflects my upbringing - that was the decade of my adolescence/cinema attending. Decided against including Holiday on the Buses or Come Play With Me, though.
Guest 20765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 21:47   #5
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Same set in both polls; I've only changed them a zillion times - five from the '40s, three from the '50s, one from the '60s, one from the '70s. I'm agonising over what I've left out more than what I've put in...

Two British (wanted to include more, but...), one Japanese, the rest 'hooray for Hollywood'; pretty conventional.

Last edited by John Hodson; 16-07-2007 at 15:06.
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 22:36   #6
earl_roberts2002

I've got two French 'nouvelle vague' films and the other eight are all American which surprised myself. Putting them into an order after the trauma of picking just ten was tortuous!
earl_roberts2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 00:29   #7
Guest 56272
Trusted User

A tough task to be sure! Same list for both polls. I have 2 films from the 30s, 5 from the 40s and 3 from the 50s. A lot of film genres are represented, but they are all American as it turns out.
Guest 56272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 09:27   #8
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

2 from the 1950s, 1 from the 1960s, 6 from the 1970s, 1 from 1980.

Again, same set in both polls for me. Nine American and one Swedish. My original aim was one from each director but Mr P. overwhelmed me and I couldn't miss out his second finest hour.

Last edited by Mike; 16-07-2007 at 09:28.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 10:00   #9
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

That was tough - couldn't decide between my 2 fave Astaire & Rogers treats, so lumped them both in.
charlie angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 11:38   #10
douglasb
Suedehead.

Can't see the point. Do we have some kind of 'face-off' between the respective Top 10s to try and settle which are The Best Movies of All Time?

It's like admitting (insert classic film) needs some kind of special help to compete with the new guys. Like an affirmative action scheme for black and white movies.
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 12:12   #11
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasb View Post
Can't see the point. Do we have some kind of 'face-off' between the respective Top 10s to try and settle which are The Best Movies of All Time?
What's the point in any poll? Maybe it's so we can blow condescending raspberries at the main poll, then they can come over here and pull faces at the daft old elitist snobs? Maybe the two top tens will astound us all and pretty much reflect each other (maybe pigs will fly). Maybe we should all vote for a little affirmative action.

Don't see the point? Don't vote.

Last edited by John Hodson; 16-07-2007 at 12:14.
Old 16-07-2007, 12:38   #12
Alan George
Trusted User

I'm tired of "great" films, I've got to the point where I prefer interesting ones. I don't care if I never see "Citizen Cane" ever again. "Casablanca" is great, but give me "The Maltese Falcon" every time. I'm going to work on my list & leave out the obvious titles. More westerns & comedy needed.
Alan George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 13:04   #13
douglasb
Suedehead.

Well, it just seems as if the driver for creating this additional poll was some kind of fear that 'proper' cinema wouldn't be represented in the first poll. Having one poll would at least reflect the overall membership.

Perhaps the interesting twist is that those who favour pre-80s films will almost certainly post two top 10s that are exactly the same. Those who like modern cinema, if they choose to vote in both polls, will be forced to come up with an entirely different set. What kind of 'classic' film does the 'modern' film buff enjoy? If enough vote, the 'classics' may turn out to be a surprise to everyone.

I think it comes as a surprise how quickly each generation forgets even the recent past. Who'd've thought that a music poll could be conducted where the likes of Elvis or the Rolling Stones (or even Dylan) didn't figure? Well, going by the posts people are making over in the Music Forum, that's what's gonna happen in the music poll. Not saying trying to stem 'cultural forgetfulness' is not a worthwhile effort, but who were the heroes of the Crimea anyway?
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 14:32   #14
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

I simply don't understand the point you're making. You seem to be saying that one poll representing the views of the entire membership is a good thing, and yet you acknowledge just how flawed the poll will be?

And how on earth does a genuine film buff (God I hate that term), refuse to countenance watching a film simply because it was made before - or after - a certain date. Most fans of film, and I accept there are some, don't go around saying "I'm a 'modern'" or a 'classic' film fan do they?

A good film is a good film, whenever, wherever, it was made. But it's the 'best' that concerns us here. The real argument behind this 'classic' poll was that some people were uncomfortable voting for films that are alledgedly supposed to represent the 'best ever' when such films had yet to face the test of time. Real classics endure, and are not subject, surely, to the whims of fad or fashion. But just because this forum exists doesn't mean for a second that it's members refuse to watch films made after 1980. It's quite a mad idea isn't it?

I have no 'fear' that 'proper' cinema won't be represented in the first poll. No fears at all.

Last edited by John Hodson; 16-07-2007 at 14:49.
Old 16-07-2007, 15:02   #15
Livius
Is it far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan George View Post
More westerns & comedy needed.

Absolutely, sir. I couldn't agree more.
Old 16-07-2007, 15:13   #16
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livius View Post
Absolutely, sir. I couldn't agree more.
I was watching The Third Man again the other day and it struck me just how much comedy is in there ('Parrot bit me...'), and going through my top ten, how much genuine comedy is in every title (with one exception), even if some could be described as gallows humour, though not one is a comedy per se. Two westerns though; I tried not to be greedy...
Old 16-07-2007, 15:19   #17
John T Chance
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson View Post
Most fans of film, and I accept there are some, don't go around saying "I'm a 'modern'" or a 'classic' film fan do they?
I don’t know if it was your intention John but that conjures up an image of Mitchell and Webb.

I've not yet voted but I imagine at least half will be the same for both polls and I doubt I'll have anything more recent than 1999 in the general poll (maybe not even that).

douglasb, it would indeed be interesting to find out what the modern forum users consider a pre-1980 classic but I'm not sure they will venture here, certainly not in enough numbers to have much effect.

Personally I’m more interested in the “classic” poll results as the other will feature the usual suspects (and no doubt The Usual Suspects).
John T Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2007, 15:20   #18
anephric
Kidney Thief

Which poll does Caravan of Courage belong in? Oh yes, I see now.

I ordinarily hate voting for anything of this nature because I get all kerfuddled into thinking I should be voting for the most important films, not my personal favourites. I feel less guilty when the polls are titled as such ("Your Favourite... etc") because otherwise I feel somewhat of a boor that my Ten doesn't consist of Bunuel, Ozu, Rossellini and Bergman.

Regardless, I've voted for my faves. My modern Ten is looking a bit flakey so no doubt I'll revise that when I'm not preoccupied with eating some chocolate, or something.
Old 16-07-2007, 15:26   #19
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T Chance View Post
I don’t know if it was your intention John but that conjures up an image of Mitchell and Webb.
Who I often confuse with Mitchell & Kenyon. Embarassingly true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John T Chance View Post
douglasb, it would indeed be interesting to find out what the modern forum users consider a pre-1980 classic but I'm not sure they will venture here, certainly not in enough numbers to have much effect.
Uh, oh. Now you've done it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
... I feel somewhat of a boor that my Ten doesn't consist of Bunuel, Ozu, Rossellini and Bergman.
Ditto. But screw that.
Old 16-07-2007, 15:35   #20
Livius
Is it far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
I feel somewhat of a boor that my Ten doesn't consist of Bunuel, Ozu, Rossellini and Bergman.
In that case, let me join you in proudly proclaiming my own boorishness .