Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 12-10-2006, 15:09   #1
SimonI
Rude Mechanical

The third way?

Apologies if this already got posted, but is this what we need like a hole in the head, or is it a great idea?

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35029 -
Quote:
DOES THE MARKET need a third high-definition format and can it succeed? For some time now we’ve been hearing about a maverick third option, HD VMD (Versatile Multi-layer Disc ) from a UK-based outfit called New Media Enterprises. This week, it managed to carve up a nice slice of the media pie with the news that it’ll be launching its first high-definition player in January at CES for around – wait for it - £95.
And here: http://www.computeractive.co.uk/pers...layer-costs-93
Quote:
The developer of a maverick high-density DVD format announced its first player today at a fraction of the price of devices using the mainstream Blu-ray and HD-DVD formats.

London-based New Media Enterprises announced its Versatile Multi-layer Disc (VMD) format at Cebit earlier this year. It uses low-cost red lasers used in existing DVD players but, as its name suggests, can pack up to 40GB on a single disc by stacking the data at different levels.

The player, launched at the Mipcom digital-content show in Cannes, will cost about $175 (£95). Availability dates were not announced.

The product seems unlikley to dent the market for Blu-ray and HD-DVD players, because deals have already been signed with major Hollywood and European companies to sell titles in these formats.

New Media Enterprises said at Cebit that it would initially target the Chinese and Bollywood markets - the latter, in particular, is very big in Britain. A spokeswoman for the company said today that other content providers had shown interest and a deal with one German company is expected to be announced shortly.

This is not be the first time that Asian content providers have gone their own way on disc formats. The Video Compact Disc (VCD) format never took off in Europe but has been big in Asia, where it is widely used for pirated movies.
Old 12-10-2006, 20:29   #2
Spectre07
Trusted User

The market needs a third format like I need another hole in my head.
Spectre07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 22:29   #3
anephric
Kidney Thief

Well, there was VHS, Betamax and V2000 fighting it out before...
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 23:11   #4
Guest 1752
Trusted User

With no DRM I can't see it ever becoming mainstream here, but I reckon they could clean up in the East!

Cheap full HD at 1080p!
Guest 1752 is offline   Reply With Quote