Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 23:11   #101
Guest 16908
Trusted User

Not a great game tonight....early season tho and hopefully we'll get better!

Great finish by Gonzalez at the end. Thought he would take a few more touches and lose his chance but he's done very well!
Old 09-08-2006, 23:27   #102
Guest 48579
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toge
He's got a reaction star but not a positioning one

This whole forum is being taken over!
Old 09-08-2006, 23:49   #103
Guest 1162
Golden God

Good result (in the end) with a below par performance - I'll settle for that (with an important match on Sunday) this early in the season.

Felt without being too critical Reina should have done better on their goal but will accept that he's still to get into the groove.

A solid 0-0 in Cyprus an I'll be happy.

Do accept that Sunday means more to us as a statement of intent although not necessarily a pointer for the season but feel we need to show Jose he's in a match when he has to face us.

Surely we're his bogey team.

Smiler
Old 10-08-2006, 00:15   #104
MartinC
Trusted User

blimey - thats being a bit harsh on Reina...!

the defence was caught very static and flat footed.

asking a lot for Pepe to stop the player - it was a great finish really.

and Reina did make a great save in the 88th or 89th minute after Gonzalez's goal. probably kept us in the tie that save.

2-2 would've been a disaster.
Old 10-08-2006, 00:47   #105
Guest 1162
Golden God

Agree with you on the last minute save but during the season he was excellent on those reflex saves but on this he was caught flat footed but to be fair up to that point he really hadnt had a chance to loosen up.

Defence was at fault but to be honest I've become comfortable with Reina and was surprised to see him beaten on this occassion.

That said was still happy with the night but pleased to see Rafa looking
edit off at the whistle cause a lot can improve - and will as we progress.

Please don't bypass the swear censor.

Last edited by Alan b; 10-08-2006 at 06:09.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:58   #106
john316
XBL: morro316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiler
Felt without being too critical Reina should have done better on their goal but will accept that he's still to get into the groove.
- not a keeper on the planet who should be expected to save that. He's done his best to put off the Haifa player but it was a superbly cool finish.

EDIT: Oh and my new shirt just arrived via Special Delivery off the website. Came with the nice free gifts as well - the cup is now my cup of choice

Last edited by john316; 10-08-2006 at 07:00.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:15   #107
shooter
Trusted User

I thought the new boys palyed particularly well, with Bellamy leading the line, making good runs and Pennant delivering some superb crosses.

The main disappointments were JAR and Zenden, lets hopefully put that down to pre season and not being fit.

The biggest bonus for me is that Momo has learnt to pass
Old 10-08-2006, 07:20   #108
john316
XBL: morro316

Riise and Zenden were just terrible all night - Riise looked like he was trying to make up for Traore's exit

But I'm pretty confident that they'll both clear the cobwebs out ahead of the season starting
Old 10-08-2006, 07:29   #109
stu_69
prohibido

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter

The biggest bonus for me is that Momo has learnt to pass
I thought he was man of the match. As usual he was all over the pitch and going for every ball. He is still hot headed though but there is nothing wrong with that

I really wanted him to get a goal. If his shot which Bellamy scored from had gone in it would have been a classic first goal.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:22   #110
Guest 2564
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt
And good that another debutant, who has been overly criticised on this and other LFC forums for some bizarre reason, gets us the winner.
Whose critisiced Gonzalez on here? I've only ever seen neutral or postive comments regarding him.

Quote:
Pennant and Bellamy both did OK and hopefully Alonso is just worn out still from the WC
You always get a different perspective on a game from within the ground (especially without the benefit of replays) and I (and many around me) thought Alonso had a mare last night, he just didn't look match fit or up to match speed and got caught on the bal too often or passed poorly. Luckily he has nothing to prove, we know he has quality - he just needs to get back in the groove.

Bellamy and Pennant did well although I can see Bellamy getting caught offside even more the Ciise did! Pennant got better as the game went on until he startered to run out of steam in the last 15 mins. He and Finnann got in eahc others way at the start but towards then end linked up well a few times.

For me playing Gerrard off the front just doesn't work and with the arrival of Pennant he's in danger of becoming our best player without a position. Sissoko and Alonso pretty much have the centre of midfield sewn up so we have to fit Gerrard in somewhere if we want to play Pennant - this worries me a bit as Gerrard was far less effective than he can be last night.

I was well chuffed with Speedys winner, not only did he have the composure to dig the ball out of his feet but also to find the only part of the goal he could score in - this is all on his debut and within minutes of coming on, a good sign for a bright future I think.

Overall I was disappointed at the performance and the apparent lethargy of many of our players. A performance like that will see us soundly beaten on SUnday. The ties isn't settled either, I won't feel comfortable until we score in the away leg and it's probably good for us that it won't be a true home game otherwise the second leg could be really tricky.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:22   #111
TigaSefi
Xbox Live/PS3 : TigaSefi

What a game!! Just got back last night at 3am!! It's been a long time since I been in a stand where we stood up for 90 mins and chanting all the way through. Liverpool were really quite lacklustre but it was our first competitive game and we will get better but Maccabi gave a really good account of themselves and the Israeli fans were quite disappointed they didn't get a draw or score at the Kop End at the death. Most thought it was in. Would have made the 2nd leg tasty. The Liverpool's formation is wrong but like most on here, Hopefully Benitez can see this.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:11   #112
stu_69
prohibido

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPearce
Overall I was disappointed at the performance and the apparent lethargy of many of our players. A performance like that will see us soundly beaten on SUnday. The ties isn't settled either, I won't feel comfortable until we score in the away leg and it's probably good for us that it won't be a true home game otherwise the second leg could be really tricky.
We might be OK, Chelsea seem to be in a funk of their own. Plus it looks like their second best defender will be sitting on the bench for a long time.

Rafa looked well ****** off at the end of the game so hopefully he will give them a right ********** this morning.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:13   #113
Guest 48579
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by john316
- not a keeper on the planet who should be expected to save that. He's done his best to put off the Haifa player but it was a superbly cool finish.

EDIT: Oh and my new shirt just arrived via Special Delivery off the website. Came with the nice free gifts as well - the cup is now my cup of choice
Funny that - I was wondering if something awful had happened and due to those "Little Britain" all over body suits we had somehow managed to sell Riise to Charlton and be left with traroe in disguise.

I mean, it was beginning to look like we would have trouble getting rid of him but this is ridiculous.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:14   #114
balstino
Toothpick & Two Berettas

Amusing comment ******* about my capitals.

Good things about the match, Pennant, Speedy, Alonso, Momo all excellent. Carra looked sharp and I'm confident we will go through.

However in general last night was terrible. Rafa is worrying me. He starts with a defensive side and then goes to the attacking version when it doesn't work, which is nearly always. He needs to start attacking! Fowler or Garcia (as we don't have our 4th striker yet) should start and play the whole game. They are the only players any good in the box. Crouchy is very useful, he just had a poor game yesterday. Gerrard is no good in that forward role IMO.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:18   #115
Guest 2564
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by balstino
Good things about the match, Pennant, Speedy, Alonso, Momo all excellent. Carra looked sharp and I'm confident we will go through.
Was I watching a different game? You may argue Alonso didn't have a bad game but there's no way you could stretch it to him having an excellent game....

I'm still keen to see what Bellamy and Crouch can do together with a decent run...
Old 10-08-2006, 09:44   #116
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Whose critisiced Gonzalez on here? I've only ever seen neutral or postive comments regarding him.
must have been the RAWK forums then, my mistake.

Quote:
Overall I was disappointed at the performance and the apparent lethargy of many of our players. A performance like that will see us soundly beaten on SUnday.
But doesn't winning the CS traditionally mean you don't win the title
Old 10-08-2006, 09:45   #117
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by balstino
So "tag wearer" had a good game, but Bellamy - who IMO played just as well - didn't ??

Are you really going to go through the whole season without praising Bellamy once ??
Old 10-08-2006, 09:53   #118
Guest 2564
YNWA

Quote:
But doesn't winning the CS traditionally mean you don't win the title
Well losing it to Arsenal a few seasons ago didn't win the PL for us either!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:01   #119
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Well losing it to Arsenal a few seasons ago didn't win the PL for us either!
True ... but that was pre Rafa
Old 10-08-2006, 10:04   #120
Guest 48579
Banned

I've definitely decided balstino has lost it.

Bellamy didn't have a good game but Alonso did?
Closed Thread