Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 29-05-2005, 22:59   #1
bonsaiguy
Dirty rotten scoundrel

POP3 Email download stalling?

Okay, this is beginning to drive me insane!

When I am away for a few days and come to download my email to my PC it is often several hundred messages (mostly spam). However it almost always times out (I use OE6 on XP Pro btw) part way through the process when it gets to the same message. So I telnet in to the mail server and delete the problem messages and try redownloading the email. It'll get further on and then usually do the same thing. So I telnet in again... etc, etc until I have downloaded all my email.

This only happens on my main PC, I never have any problems at all downloading the same email (leaving a copy on the server) to my laptop on wifi (also XP Pro and OE6).

It always seems to be spam messages that it gets stuck on (but that may just be because I get a lot of spam mail though). The messages are not big (a few kb maybe) and it'll always stop at the same message until it is deleted.

This has got me stumped. Any recommendations on how I can stop my PC from doing this? It is beginning to really annoy me.

TIA guys!
Old 30-05-2005, 09:47   #2
Guest 9889
Trusted User

if youve got norton or any other av or firewall, reinstall them coz it sounds like they are playing up
Guest 9889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 12:24   #3
ian turner
Trusted User

I had this problem at one point and it was spoofed spam with The postmaster has identified this address as etc etc subject lines which were ridiculously long so I suspect that it was upsetting either norton or popfile by overflowing their buffers. I don't have this problem anymore but thats because most of the spam is filtered out by my isps.
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 13:17   #4
bonsaiguy
Dirty rotten scoundrel

Thanks guys, I'l look into both of those options.