Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Old 28-10-2004, 18:52   #1
Matt KB
Meow meow meow

Adem - Homesongs

Just discovered this, and what a gem!! It's absolutely brilliant!

Sort of like Bonnie Prince Billy basked in a summery haze.

Any back catalogue I should know about here? Any other thoughts on this?
Old 28-10-2004, 19:28   #2
Radiohead
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geek

The album is his debut and is truly a thing of beauty.

He part of Fridge though, along with Keiran "Four Tet" Hebden....
Radiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2004, 19:30   #3
mikegray
Trusted User

I don't know. I saw Adem at that festival thing he organised at the Conway Hall and it was a bit of a struggle to stay awake, but perhaps it's not really music best appreciated in a live setting.
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2004, 19:32   #4
Guest 2929
Trusted User

I agree. A great album by an artist I was introduced to by folks on these here forums!
Guest 2929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2004, 08:23   #5
Guest 1091
DVDF PES4 Cup/Div 2 Champ

I saw Adem supporting The Divine Comedy, was ok but didnt blow me away. You are probably right that they are not best appreciated live.
Guest 1091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2004, 11:22   #6
Barney_Tabasco
'My Two Dads' changed me

I disagree, i think they are great live. Maybe not if you've got a crowd of disinterested Divine Comedy fans though.
Barney_Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2004, 12:05   #7
GregB
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney_Tabasco
I disagree, i think they are great live. Maybe not if you've got a crowd of disinterested Divine Comedy fans though.
Wasn't it just a duo at that gig. His full band is excellent live and the album is brilliant and one of my albums of the year without a doubt
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2004, 13:09   #8
jmdomain
The Postmaster General

A couple of gems if you like Adem:

Search out a copy of James Yorkston - Moving Up Country. Quite similar sounding to Adem. Quite folky and is the sort of record that you would put on to laze away on a wintry afternoon sitting by the fire.

And if you're feeling more adventurous then try:

The Lone Pigeon - Schoozzzmmii which is an album by the talented one from the beta band that left just as they were getting famous. The guy tries his hand at many genres (Acoustic Rock, Chamber Pop and Psychadelic Syd Barret trype compositions) and manages to pull it off with effortless aplomb for each one of them.

Last edited by jmdomain; 11-01-2005 at 00:11.
jmdomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2004, 13:35   #9
Guest 1091
DVDF PES4 Cup/Div 2 Champ

Yeah, it was just two of them, I thought that was it.
Guest 1091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2004, 13:40   #10
GregB
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinUK
Yeah, it was just two of them, I thought that was it.
Nope he has a full band but the Divine Comedy requested a maximum of 2 people on stage. This is the diary entry on Adem's site that gives his take on that

Quote:
Two-piece.
I have recently come back from Brussels, having played with Sun Kil Moon. I have another show with them and a whole support tour with The Divine Comedy coming up. For all these gigs, it has been requested that I perform with a maximum of two people onstage, me and one other. The show in Brussels went very well. The arrangements work wonderfully and I feel that I can represent the music well, in an intimate, stripped down way, that brings out other aspects of the songs than the normal live set up or the record does. What frustrates me is the fact that I'd like to do intimate shows as an interesting step further, and not for the first time that many people will be seeing me. I have a fantastic live band who've been working super hard to get the show just right. It seems a shame not to be able to perform this.
What I don't understand is: why the limit? I know that both bands are performing quiet sets and so perhaps they don't want to be drowned out by the noise made by a bigger band, but Hella is a two piece and they make a racket. The full Adem band doesn't have a drum kit or any amplifiers. I can't imagine that adding a double bass is really going to make a huge difference to proceedings from their point of view.
It certainly can't be anything to do with performance - they are headlining, playing to their audience who will hopefully be polite enough to listen to my stuff, but are really quite indifferent to whether I play or not. There can be no fear of being upstaged by a band of any size, because most of the audience have come to see one band only.
Maybe it's to do with set up and sound check times, but we set up pretty sharpish, and with the two piece show at the moment we play six different instruments and have two vocals, which is pretty similar to a normal band set up...
It certainly isn't money, because we get paid the same amount, no matter how many players there are (poor polyphonic spree).
It's not a problem. It was made very clear from the start that a two-piece was required, could we do it? And I said yes, of course, and it works really well as a two-piece performance, but it is a shame that we cannot do the full band show now, and do the intimate shows later, for people who already know what the music is like.
I have asked why, but no-one has given me a straight reply yet. I will carry on asking and let you know when I find out. It's a strange trend which is becoming more and more apparent in quieter shows. I hope this doesn't become normal as a lot of people will make decisions about bands that are not based on the fuller picture. I think that that would be a shame.
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 21:40   #11
EdgeOfVictory
Live from the Troubador

Just recently discovered this myself, what a corker of an album. jmdomain is right with james yorkston, recently discovered his latest album too, similar stylings (dunno if that's cos kieran hedben produced the latest james yorkston album)
EdgeOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 16:06   #12
grounded_dreams
I am Jack's movie cliche.

This years Homefires line up hase been announced:

May 21st:

James Yorkston
Adem
Hot Chip
King Creosote
Mugison
Lau Nau

May 22nd:

Secret guests
Adem
Alasdair Roberts
Jose Gonzales
Amina

Once again its at Conway Hall in London, more acts will be announced soon
Old 09-04-2005, 18:11   #13
mikegray
Trusted User

Went to the last one. Thought it was a bit of a snoozefest, although nice to hear the Beth Orton songs that never seem to be seeing the light of day.
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote