Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 18-09-2004, 14:04   #41
mitch316
giddyup

arolvsky vs sylvia for the interim title in japan?
Old 18-09-2004, 16:32   #42
Guest 8631
Trusted User

That seems like the logical choice.

There were/are some doubts about whether Sylvia would be ready for UFC 51 and that was for a lesser opponent than the "pitbull".

I think Ricco Rodriguez will get a look back in now that Mir is gonna be out for a long time.

We should know more about Mir's health shortly.
Old 19-09-2004, 00:16   #43
d2000s
Trusted User

Was really sorry to hear that about Mir, hope he will get back eventually, but you have to worry that he may never be able to compete again.

Sylvia will probably take the place in UFC 51 , although Shamrock is also a possibility as he has been looking for a fight for the event and would be a big draw. There are also some rumours of a tournament to decide the champ, which would be interesting.
Old 19-09-2004, 00:30   #44
Guest 8631
Trusted User

An update from Frank's trainer...

Date: 09/18/04 08:07 PM
153 Total Posts Ignore User

Surgery went very well and doctors said he will be 100%
He will be out for a while but we expect to get him back sooner than normal. Lets be realistic, I would say 10 months, he is very young and those kind of injury usualy is faster recovery for beeing young, at least that is my hope.

Thanks Puma and everybody else for the support!

Ricardo Pires.
Old 19-09-2004, 22:00   #45
d2000s
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinning Plates
Date: 09/18/04 08:07 PM
153 Total Posts Ignore User

Surgery went very well and doctors said he will be 100%
He will be out for a while but we expect to get him back sooner than normal. Lets be realistic, I would say 10 months, he is very young and those kind of injury usualy is faster recovery for beeing young, at least that is my hope.

Thanks Puma and everybody else for the support!

Ricardo Pires.
Thats good to hear, the sooner he is back the better as the depth of quality fighters in the heavyweight division is quite poor in the UFC at the moment .
Old 20-09-2004, 11:22   #46
d2000s
Trusted User

From FCfighter.com

"You can't say that UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir is not tough. The talented fighter, who armbarred his way to the title last June, was struck by a car two days ago while riding his motorcycle and will live to tell about it.

From his bedside at the University Medical Center in Las Vegas, Mir's fiancťe Jennifer spoke with FCF this afternoon, recounting the events that took place early Thursday night as Frank left his house and traveled to work on his bike.

According to Jennifer, Mir was traveling along Sahara Avenue when a car coming in the opposite direction did not heed a left yield light, turning and colliding with the UFC heavyweight champion. On impact, Mir was thrown an estimated 75 feet from his bike, tumbling quickly from the concrete onto shoulder-side grass, just three feet from a lamppost. Mir was wearing a helmet at the time. Amazingly, the 6'1" fighter reportedly remained conscious during the whole ordeal, and can recall the entire scenario.

"I don't like losing consciousness," a groggy but grateful Mir spoke briefly from his hospital bed. "I gotta stay awake the whole time. That's how I got so good at jiu-jitsu-- I don't like being choked out."

Mir's brother was riding alongside him at the time of the collision and called his fiancťe, who rushed to the site with their two children, but eventually rendezvoused with him at the hospital. There, physicians reported no internal bleeding, and prepped the 265-pound plus patient for surgery.

Mir went into surgery Friday for his leg and foot, where physicians reset a described "clean break" in his left femur (or thigh bone) and placed a titanium rod through it. The procedure did not require casting of any kind.

"The surgery was successful," reports a relieved Jennifer, even though the process took four hours (two and a half more than expected) due to the sheer size of Mir's appendage. "The doctor expects a 99% recovery. He said that actually his bone will be even stronger. They said eight to ten weeks. The doctors said, mind you, that's an average person. Frank will probably heal even faster, but eight to ten weeks and he'll be walking again."

"The doctor told me I could put all my weight on it right now," added the sidelined fighter himself, who was up and out of his hospital bed this morning for a short while. "It's just the muscles and the pain. The only reason I can't walk right now is because it's stiff and sore."

"They were gonna release him today, but he's running a slight fever," explains Jennifer, who was reassured by hospital staff that this is a routine occurrence after this type of surgery. "He'll probably go home tomorrow or Monday. He's not even taking all of his pain medication. He's doing really well."

That the accomplished fighter was hit by a smaller, compact car and wearing a helmet (which is now embedded with cement shards in the back), seemed to have been saving graces for his cause. Physicians also speculated that Frank's size, athleticism, and exemplary health all had a positive hand in his lucky outcome. "The motorcycle, where his leg was, the whole gas tank, that whole side is just dented in," says Jennifer. "His leg was right between the bike and the car." The suit Mir was wearing for his security position at a local nightclub that night was "absolutely tattered to shreds", she adds.

The Mir family has confirmed that Frank will not be fighting on December's UFC 51 card as was speculated earlier, but will be able enough to make his anticipated walk down the altar for his wedding scheduled in a little over a week's time. On crutches for the next few days, doctors are predicting Mir might even be able to sport a cane for his nuptials. Mir hopes to defend his UFC title as early as February or March. "
Old 24-09-2004, 20:51   #47
Guest 8631
Trusted User

Ultimate Fighting Championship Announces Postponement Of December Fight Card In Japan

Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir Injured In Auto Accident

ULTIMATE FIGHTING CHAMPIONSHIP ANNOUNCES
POSTPONEMENT OF DECEMBER FIGHT CARD IN JAPAN

Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir Injured In Auto Accident

LAS VEGAS, NEV., September 23, 2004ÖOfficials of the Ultimate Fighting Championship brand of mixed martial arts today announced the postponement of its December fight card scheduled for Tokyo, Japan. A Japan fight card will be re-scheduled for a later date that will be determined. UFC Heavyweight Champion Frank Mir (8-1-0 in mixed martial arts) from Las Vegas, Nev., was scheduled to defend his title in the main event against top contender Andre Arlovski (8-3-0) from Minsk, Belarus. Mir recently sustained a broken left leg in an auto accident in Las Vegas and will be sidelined indefinitely. ďZuffa has every intent to go to Japan and the December date looked very good until Frankís unfortunate accident,Ē said Zuffa/UFC president Dana White. ďOur number one concern is Frankís health. Heís strong and had fought really well in his last three fights. He was lucky and will fully recover, but will not be ready by December.Ē

source: www.prokarateweekly.com

Last edited by Spinning Plates; 24-09-2004 at 20:51.
Old 24-09-2004, 21:08   #48
Guest 8631
Trusted User

Oh well, i guess it cant be helped. After Mir's accident their really wasn't much left in and already "light" HW division.

No one else really jumps out as a credible opponent for Arlovski with Sylvia not ready, Justin Eilers has a broken hand, Ken Shamrock isn't 100% ready and even then Arlovski would brutalise him anyway. Zuffa were banking on Tito being able to get through his fight with Mezger at UFC 50 injury free so they played it safe in the end.

Anyway we can still look forward to the Halloween Pride show. Silva vs Jackson 2 and Crocop vs Barnett will just be awesome. Im going for Barnett and Rampage in those ones.

Im not too excited about the main event for UFC 50 but there are some great fights on the rest of the card. I'm pumped for Hughes vs St Pierre, Trigg against Charuto, Robbie Lawler moving up to the MW division and one of my fav fighters Rich "Ace" Franklin FINALLY back in the big show and moving down to 185.

UFC 50 - October 22, Atlantic City, New Jersey

Tito Ortiz vs. Guy Mezger
Matt Hughes vs Georges St-Pierre
Robbie Lawler vs Evan Tanner
Frank Trigg vs Renato Verissimo

John Marsh vs Tra Telligman
Jorge Rivera vs Rich Franklin
Trevor Prangley vs Ivan Salaverry
Patrick Cote vs Marvin Eastman

PRIDE 28 - October 31

Wanderlei Silva vs Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
Josh Barnett vs Mirko Cro Cop

Last edited by Spinning Plates; 24-09-2004 at 21:11.
Old 24-09-2004, 21:36   #49
d2000s
Trusted User

I read this news today also, was surprised as you would have thought they still could have put a good card together with the other fighters they have, even without heavyweights. Vitor/Tito would have been the bigger draw than Mir would have been in Japan anyway, although I appreciate that might not have happened.
Old 25-09-2004, 09:14   #50
dmb6473a
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinning Plates
Anyway we can still look forward to the Halloween Pride show. Silva vs Jackson 2 and Crocop vs Barnett will just be awesome. Im going for Barnett and Rampage in those ones.

Cro Cop's people wreen't happy with this fight. Barnett is easily capable of beating him (if he can take it to the ground), which would take Cro Cop out of the Fedor/Nogueira title picture. The thing in Cro Cop's favour is that Barnet spends more time wrestling for New Japan these days, which increases the chance of injuries and reduces training time.

I can't see anything but a Silva win in the other one. I think he's pretty much untouchable right now.
Old 29-09-2004, 00:34   #51
d2000s
Trusted User

Just to let you guys know, Bravo are showing UFC again this weekend and next- I have no idea about what events they are.

Saturday 02 October
11:00pm
Bravo
Ultimate Fighting Championship

Sunday 03 October
Bravo

Saturday 09 October
Bravo

Monday 11 October
12:15am
Bravo
Old 29-09-2004, 18:11   #52
Guest 8631
Trusted User

Thanks for the heads up d2000s. I think the formula they have is two shows that try and cover one event so this weekend they should be up to UFC 41: Onslaught from back in Feb 2003.

I think Baroni/Lindland 2 and Penn/Uno will be shown on Saturday then they will probably pick Tank/Mir, Rodriguez/Sylvia and then it's between Rizzo/Matyushenko and Edwards/Clementi for the late Sunday show.

The weekend after that (9/10) will cover UFC 42 and fights that will most likely include Robbie Lawler vs. Pete Spratt, Evan Tanner vs. Rich Franklin, Mark Weir vs. David Loiseau, Wesley Correira vs. Sean Alvarez, Genki Sudu vs. Duane Ludwig and Matt Hughes vs. Sean Sherk

They have already missed out some great fights on the first two weekends such as Sylvia/Cabbage and Weir/Miller which should have been aired instead of some other fights that did get shown.

Last edited by Spinning Plates; 29-09-2004 at 18:14.
Old 29-09-2004, 22:47   #53
Guest 8631
Trusted User

Also DSE officially announced the following fights for Pride "High Octane" on October 31st...

Wanderlei Silva vs Quinton "Ramapge" Jackson
Mirko "Crocop" Flipovic vs Josh Barnett
Dan Henderson vs Kazuhira Nakamura

Also confirmed for Cage Rage 9 which takes place in Novermber...

Mark Weir vs Matt Lindland

Finally Ultimate Knockouts 3 has just been upped to the mma newsgroup.
Old 30-09-2004, 21:09   #54
d2000s
Trusted User

Cheers for all the info SP, sadly I cant seem to get that newsgroup on Freeserve.
Do you think Bravo are planning to show UFC 50 live or nearly live? I think we would have heard about it by now if they were.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:34   #55
dmb6473a
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s
Cheers for all the info SP, sadly I cant seem to get that newsgroup on Freeserve.
Do you think Bravo are planning to show UFC 50 live or nearly live? I think we would have heard about it by now if they were.

I wouldn't have that Bravo have the budget for a UFC PPV. I think the only reason that they show the older shows in short and edited version is because it fits into their "lad culture" style of programming. Which is a shame because that isn't the audience they should be trying to appeal to.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:20   #56
Guest 8631
Trusted User

Bravos deal with the UFC is for 18 hours worth of programming picked from UFC 39-47.

As dmb6473a mentioned there is next to no chance of Bravo showing even a dealyed airing of UFC 50. Im hopeful their weekly highlight shows will act as a springboard to getting *UFC back on PPV be it Setanta again or another shot on Sky Box Office.

As for newsgroups you really need a quality pay server. $10 will get you 25gigs with http://news.astraweb.com

If not there is always the MMA hub on Direct Connect, email me about that. I use a combo of the two to get PPV's asap.
Old 03-10-2004, 21:00   #57
d2000s
Trusted User

Looks like we may be getting some more MMA on TV soon, "The Wresting channel" on sky digital is holding a poll to see if people want them to show MMA on their channel as well as wrestling - so go to their website and vote yes www.thewrestlingchannel.tv .
Old 15-10-2004, 17:19   #58
mitch316
giddyup

mezger out of ufc 50

The following was printed on MMAWeekly.com:

MMAWeekly's Ryan Bennett reports that Guy Mezger is out of UFC 50. Unfortunately, the news is much worse than that. The initial report from sources was that Mezger fainted twice during training earlier in the week, then collapsed and later had a stroke.

The good news is that apparently Guy did not have a true stroke or black-out, but did have "stroke-like" symptoms and was taken to the hospital.

Guy is definitely off of the card for UFC 50 and no replacement has been named. The UFC had no comment at this time.

have read on another forum that patrick cote will replace mezger anyone know anything about him?

personally i would have loved to see tito vs vitor
Old 15-10-2004, 18:45   #59
d2000s
Trusted User

Thanks for posting that info, I hadn't heard about that. Glad to hear he did not actually have a stroke, he gave an interview with boxing insider (below) sayiing he wants to fight again as soon as february on the same card as Ken Shamrock.

The UFC is having a bad time of it, first Mir out of UFC 51, at least they had time to rethink their plans in that case, but Mezger out of UFC 50, a week before the event is very bad news for what was already quite a weak card. I have never seen Coteman fight, his record is here , 5-0 in MMA but very inexperienced and never fought any big names, he was due to make his UFC debut in a prelim match against Marvin Eastman, which was the only other LHW fight on the card so very likely he will step up to fill the gap. They will never get a decent fighter to step into the gap in this short a time.

By Ken Pishna, BoxingInsider.com

Unfortunately for both Guy Mezger and the UFC, Mezger has had to drop off of the UFC 50 card. Fortunately for Mezger, he is not quite in as dire straights as was initially believed. In an exclusive interview to BoxingInsider and MMAWeekly, Mezger spoke late last night with Ken Pishna and cleared the air on just what his situation is and how he is doing.

BoxingInsider.com: Letís get right to it Guy, weíve been told that you are out of UFC 50 and that it sounds like you collapsed during training and then had a stroke. What exactly is the situation?

Guy Mezger: I never collapsed during training or anything. What happened was, I trained very, very hard Monday night. I had a long drive back from Los Angeles. I was a little worn out and dehydrated. I went to bed early and kept having to get up to use the restroom. By about 1 in the morning I was having trouble sleeping. I took some medicine to help me sleep and then got up around 7 or 7:30. I literally rolled out of bed and the nightstand is right next to the bed and I bumped my head.

BoxingInsider.com: So this was Tuesday morning and Ken Shamrockís house, right?

Guy Mezger: Yeah, this was Tuesday morning at Kenís. So, I got up and went downstairs to jump in the shower and then went back upstairs. I laid down a little bit because I was going to get up and cook breakfast. Tanya, Kenís wife, had got up and cooked and said that breakfast was served. I started walking downstairs. They have a kitten here and it plays ninja kitty and jumps out at you. The kitty jumps out in front of me and instead of stepping on it, I kind of jumped over it about 3 or 4 stairs. When I landed, my knee buckled a bit and when I got back up Tanya asked me if I was all right. I said yes, but she said I seemed kind of woozy, that I wasnít responding correctly, I seemed a little uncertain on my feet.

BoxingInsider.com: So, did you actually fall over the cat?

Guy Mezger: Well, I just stumbled a little. I was trying not to kill the cat. Basically that was it, Tanya said, ďI donít think everything is okay.Ē I said, ďIím fine.Ē Ken came downstairs and said that he wanted to get it checked out because Tanya said that I wasnít reacting right and he said, ďYouíre really not.Ē I just wrote it off as being tired. I mean Monday afternoonís training was whacked. We trained our asses off, but I didnít black out, I didnít have a stroke, I didnít collapse.

BoxingInsider.com: Did you have any problems at all at training on Monday, anything out of the ordinary?

Guy Mezger:No, not all. I was an absolute stud. I started off with six 5-minute rounds with 1-minute rests. Then I did five 3-minute rounds of wrestling with 1-minute rests. Then I did two more 5-minute rounds of wrestling and a 5-minute round on the heavy bag and I did my conditioning after that.

BoxingInsider.com: Thatís a pretty heavy load, but nothing out of the ordinary for you when youíre preparing for a fight?

Guy Mezger:Yeah. Itís nothing that I hadnít been doing already. And itís not like I was impeded by anything. Lets put it this way; I wore out all of my training partners.

So, we went to the hospital. Originally, Ken checked me in because he thought I had banged my head. I get to the hospital and they start running all these tests. I guess with Ken coming in and nearly dying of a heart attack, immediately they started hooking me up to all this heart stuff and Iím freaking out. Iím telling them itís not my heart. Iím like, ďMy friend thinks I might of hit my head too hard. To be honest, Iíve been busting my ass and I think Iím dehydrated and I didnít get good sleep last night. I think Iím just not recovering.Ē

BoxingInsider.com: So, they still did all of the heart tests?

Guy Mezger: Yeah. I got my heart checked out and the lady who did the echocardiogram said, ďListen, you have a heart like a race horse. Itís a little bit large because youíre an athlete. Everything is perfect on it. There are no abnormalities here.Ē

So after spending the night there, by the time I talk to the cardiologist, I talk to the doctor. Theyíre taking my blood pressure and drawing blood, sticking needles in me. Finally, I get everything worked out; I get a clear bill of health from the cardiologist and the other doctor. The neurologist comes to see me and says, ďYou probably just had a reaction because you took a full ambion when you only normally take a half of an ambion.Ē

BoxingInsider.com: Is ambion the sleep medication that you took?

Guy Mezger: Yeah, itís a sleep medication. So, the neurologist said that he wanted to do one more study and he did a CAT scan. They found something unusual in the CAT scan, so I did an MRI.

BoxingInsider.com: And what happened with the MRI?

Guy Mezger: Thatís where they found something. So they released me yesterday [Wednesday] and I had to come back in today to see the neurologist. He said that, ďYouíve got a problem with your brain. Weíre not exactly sure what happened. Itís in your front right lobe. Itís kind of a weird situation because it doesnít affect your speech, youíre not dizzy or anything like that. Itís the area that affects your music appreciation.Ē

I said, ďThere you go, something is wrong because lately Iíve started listening to a lot of country music. Could that be the cause?Ē [laughs]

He said thereís been some sort of flair up in my brain and theyíre not sure what it is or what caused it. Itís a small abnormality. He said itís somewhat equivalent to having a concussion. Itís more severe than a concussion, but they donít know what caused it. They have a million more tests to do.

BoxingInsider.com:So at this point, they havenít even narrowed it down to this or that?

Guy Mezger: No. Theyíre not so much worried about what it is as they are about why it happened, so it doesnít happen again. The doctor seemed very positive. He said,Ē Listen, youíve just got to lay off for two months. You canít take a shot to the head for two months. Itís like having a very bad concussion. Youíve got to let your brain heal up. Youíre not going to have any side effects from it.Ē Thank god! Because when you start thinking about the brain, you get a little bit worried. I mean, Iíve got kids Iíve got to take care of; Iíve got a baby on the way. On top of that, Iíve got this really hot wife that would be a drag to die on.

BoxingInsider.com: Did the doctorís feel that you did have some sort of mild type of stroke or what are they calling it?

Guy Mezger: No, no. They donít think I had a stroke. Itís having the same symptoms of a stroke. Itís hard to say exactly what it isÖ the way they can tell youíve had a stroke is they go into your brain afterward and they see the damage thatís done and thatís how they tell.

BoxingInsider.com: You sound pretty upbeat about the whole situationÖ

Guy Mezger: Both the doctor here and my normal practitioner were extremely confident. They said that I could still train as long as I donít get hit in the head. I can still lift. I can still run. Most guys that have strokes canít do that. They canít get the brain worked up. My doctors arenít worried about the function of the brain. Theyíre worried about what caused it. Theyíre kind of thinking that it was because I was really worn out and dehydrated, just a kind of freaky set of circumstances. They both said, ďIn two months, you should be able to get back in the ring if thatís what you want to do.Ē

BoxingInsider.com: As it stands, youíre out for 2 months and then you can get right back in there as long as they donít find anything serious wrong when they do the tests?

Guy Mezger: Yeah. Iím out for two months as long as they donít find anything serious. I would normally be very worried about the whole thing, but just the confidence that both doctors hadÖ and the fact that they didnít tell me to stop exercising. And I think they had a genuine confidence, not a ďletís make Guy feel goodĒ confidence.

BoxingInsider.com:Whatís going through your head now?

Guy Mezger: Well, the problem I have is this: Zuffa and Dana White have given me an opportunity to come in and fight for the UFC. I was really looking forward to fighting Tito again. I put my entire life on hold for the last 12 weeks. I mean Iím an extremely busy guy. Between my family and I have a couple of businessesÖ so for me to put 12 weeks of my life on hold to train for a fight is very difficult. A lot of people have sacrificed to make this happen. Ken has busted his ass. My wife, who is pregnant, had to spend the last 6 weeks by herself putting up with all the crap that comes with pregnancy all by herself. I just feel like Iím letting everybody down.

BoxingInsider.com: Well, just from the reaction Iíve seen tonight, a lot of people are disappointed, but I think everyone was really more concerned that you are okay.

Guy Mezger: Iím going to be okay. Itís when Iím going to be able to climb back in the ring that Iím more concerned about. Thereíve been some tense moments the last couple of days, but somehow I just knew that I wasnít hurt. I mean, I got up this morning and ran 5 miles.

BoxingInsider.com: Where does this leave you at this point in your career?

Guy Mezger: I was really looking to have a good show here for the UFC. The UFC is where I started in mixed martial arts and Iíve been playing with the idea of retiring and I really wanted to step up and have a great fight and look to maybe put some finish to my career. This is definitely not the way that Guy Mezger wants to go out.

BoxingInsider.com: Iím sure if itís possible, you will bounce back.

Guy Mezger: Hopefully, if things arenít too screwed up in my head. Kenís fighting in February and I would love the opportunity to fight on the same card. Itís funny because all of the years that Iíve been fighting with Ken; weíve never fought on the same card. Like I said this is not the way that I want to go out and Iím not going to go out this way. Everyone has given up a lot for this fight from Ken to my wife to my employees. My employees have been busting their asses, my business partnersÖBoxingInsider: I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that as disappointed as I am that this fight isnít going to happen, Iím more glad that youíre going to be okay.

You know, as disappointed as I am, I look in my wifeís face and the relief on her face knowing that Iím okay is worth more than any UFC belt. Iím a lucky man. I have an incredible, incredible woman by my side.

Ken Pishna is a regular contributor to BoxingInsider.com and a senior writer and editor at MMAWeekly.com.
Old 15-10-2004, 18:49   #60
Guest 8631
Trusted User

Patrick Cote (originally meant to fight Marvin Eastman) is the coirmed replacement for Mezger. He has great stand up and knocked his last 2 opponents out in just over 1 minute combined. The same will probably happen to Tito if he tries to stand again so he will almost certainly go for and get the takedown. Cote's best chance is to finish it early.

I wasn't all that hyped for the main event anyways but feel bad for Guy. Frank Mir gets run over, then they cancel UFC Japan and now this as well as a number of other fighters who have had to pull out over the last.

Tra Telligman is also off the card now too, he offered to fight Tito and come down to 205lbs but Tito refused so Tra dropped off the card altogether.

Still though im really looking forward to seeing Rich Franklin back aswell as Lawler/Tanner and Hughes/St Pierre title fight. Oh and then ofcourse Pride 28 will be only a little of a week later!
Closed Thread