Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 21-11-2006, 21:20   #141
bigman
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne.t
Amstell was even ruder on occasion on Popworld,showing no love for several Z list pop acts he had the misfortune of interviewing.
As soon as Lamarr said he was leaving the show I immediately thought of Simon Amstell as the perfect replacement - and he has been even better than I imagined he would be. It's as if he was born for this show.

I do agree that Jupitus and Bailey appear slightly subdued but that may be due to the edit process as much as anything. Bill Bailey in particular seems to have been marginalised but TBH over the last few series with Lamarr his main role was as the butt of a tiresome gag about being some sort of 'beast like' creature. I'm glad to see the end of that - but perhaps there is still some work for Amstell to do on developing his own 'chemistry' with the 2 captains.
Old 21-11-2006, 21:53   #142
corkbouy
Doesn't Like Mondays

I imagine that achieving a balance of Amstell, the guests, the captains, the jokes and the actual mechanics of the quiz and squeezing it into a half-hour show must be a nightmare. So I can't say I'm surprised that Phil and Bill seem a bit quiet.
Old 21-11-2006, 22:34   #143
Guest 1764
Dry hair’s for squids

One school of thought (ie me) says that they’ve had to cut back Bailey and Jupitus otherwise their funnier contributions would totally outshine those of the host and in this, his first series, that could have been the kiss of death. Seems like a concious decision has been made to prune the 2 healthier vines in order to let the weak little vine have a chance at growing.
Old 21-11-2006, 23:31   #144
bigman
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan.e
One school of thought (ie me) says that they’ve had to cut back Bailey and Jupitus otherwise their funnier contributions would totally outshine those of the host and in this, his first series, that could have been the kiss of death. Seems like a concious decision has been made to prune the 2 healthier vines in order to let the weak little vine have a chance at growing.
I actually thought that it may well be the opposite - i.e. that the most entertaining parts of the show were Amstell's interaction with the guests and that as a result Jupitus and Bailey were being edited out. (Although it could well be that they are contributing less as Amstell hasn't yet developed a rapport with them).

The overwhelming view on this thread seems to be that Amstell's contributions are very funny so if the producers feel the same way that may well explain the way they are editing it.

Last edited by bigman; 21-11-2006 at 23:32.
Old 22-11-2006, 14:07   #145
The-tonemeister
Abnormal noise freak

I think the quality of the guests may be some of the reason Bill & Phil aren't interacting as much. It seems to me that they're being selected just to appeal to Amstells previous Popworld connections, or are 'celebs' looking for a bit of publicity.

Having said that, I'm really enjoying the new series. A step in the right direction to my mind.

TM
Old 23-11-2006, 10:50   #146
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,709 Times in 589 Posts
I thought Amstell was a bit rubbish to be honest. He does look lost most of the time and his comebacks are also fairly unfunny most of the time. Lamarr was quicker and funnier IMO.

I noticed Phil Jupitus being quiet the most.
Old 24-11-2006, 20:24   #147
dunkle
Trusted User

Each week I just find it funnier and funnier

Was big Lamarr fan and was a bit worried about this new guy but now think he is great - its like QI and HIGNFY - a show that you just want to be an hour long and on more often
Old 25-11-2006, 00:59   #148
TheCookieMonster
Trusted User

His rant at Fearne Cotton had me gasping in shock and laughing my ass off at the same time and the interplay between Barrowman and Amstell was cracking stuff
Old 25-11-2006, 01:03   #149
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,081 Posts
Quote:
You should read back some of your posts when you come off the medication - you might laugh as much as everyone else is
Old 25-11-2006, 04:22   #150
Maximus
are you not entertained?

Does anyone actually find Phil Jupitus funny? .... serious question - everything I see him in, including an hour and half of stand-up ................ nothing.

Last edited by Maximus; 25-11-2006 at 04:22.
Old 25-11-2006, 08:06   #151
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus
Does anyone actually find Phil Jupitus funny? .... serious question - everything I see him in, including an hour and half of stand-up ................ nothing.
Nah, he has the occasional funny line, but then so does everyone. He's always mystified me a little as to who actually thinks he has any talent. I thought it was just me.

See also Russell Brand.
Old 25-11-2006, 10:43   #152
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,709 Times in 589 Posts
I find Jupitus very funny when he wants to be. Probably the funniest guy on the show, but not often enough.

Saw the Barrowman episode yesterday and thought Amstell was much better in it. Bill Bailey and Phil Jupitus seemed more involved with the banter too. Good episode.
Old 25-11-2006, 12:15   #153
ac
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus
Doesn't this have something to do with him slowly morphing into Frank Carson?
Old 25-11-2006, 12:23   #154
Guest 1764
Dry hair’s for squids

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYankee
You should read back some of your posts when you come off the medication - you might laugh as much as everyone else is
Disagree with my POV all you want but when you are unable to do so without being insulting or personalising your comment then whatever point you are trying to make is totally negated by your inability to refrain from petty slights instead of addressing the content of the post.

Try again.

Banter with Barrowman was terrible. Half an hour of gay jokes with Captain Scarlet playing the willing stooge. Great.
Old 25-11-2006, 12:49   #155

You know what I do when I don't like a TV show? I don't watch it.

Old 25-11-2006, 12:56   #156
bigman
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeyJake
You know what I do when I don't like a TV show? I don't watch it.
Yeah, but you have to watch it if you feel the need to keep coming up with reasons for why you don't like it.

Last edited by bigman; 25-11-2006 at 12:56.
Old 25-11-2006, 16:21   #157
goonerforever
Trusted User

Quote:
Banter with Barrowman was terrible. Half an hour of gay jokes with Captain Scarlet playing the willing stooge. Great.
Half an hour of gay jokes?!?! What show were you watching? There was probably just as many celeb digs against Liberty X and Kylie, than there were gay jokes!
Old 25-11-2006, 19:05   #158
Guest 27529
Rickman Groupie

love it love it love it!

"I've been out gayed!"
Old 26-11-2006, 12:23   #159
Guest 1123
XBL:rpcdrag0n/PSN:andyp77

Quote:
If anything I would say that was Barrowman's fault, rather than the shows or Amstell's. Most of the banter was funny but by no means did it fill the full 30 minutes.

God I hope I never see Lamarr on TV again, long live Amstell!!!

Fav line of the series so far was to Vanessa Phelps (spelt right?)......"after the show, we're gonna make love". I was in stitches when he said that!!

To be fair, I never used to like Buzzcocks, the humour was often obvious and included the kinda material that would make you smile, maybe fake laugh a little, but never wee yourself. Now Amstell is on board I watch this show religiously, it's never been so funny. The man just seems to have superb timing and is very very quick. In a world that has gone PC mad, I love the fact he says things that people think all the time ("saw you on loose women, god their awful aren't they") but would never say for fear of the PC massive.

Less Jupitus and Bailey??.......thank god!
Old 26-11-2006, 14:15   #160
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

Just caught up on this and I think Amstell makes a brilliant host.

Thought Amy Winehouse was a laugh - "I'd rather have cat AIDS!"
Closed Thread