Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 17-11-2006, 22:52   #121
Guest 2758
Here and now

It is I think but not sure when. So why not watch it here!
Old 17-11-2006, 22:57   #122
scooby snacks
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan-Wind
It is I think but not sure when. So why not watch it here!
Thanks very much
Old 17-11-2006, 23:14   #123
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
It is on this Sunday on BBC 2 at 21.30.
Old 18-11-2006, 12:56   #124
Guest 1123
XBL:rpcdrag0n/PSN:andyp77

Amy was 'getting there' for sure, but to be fair she was a right laugh. Didn't like the comedian so much as he seemed to have to dominate the gags, some-one would say something funny and you could almost see a light bulb ping above his ridiculous hair. Within seconds he was boooming out an often tired, obvious joke.

Amstell, as ever, funny as hell. He is a breathe of fresh air to a tired tired show, but I fear the way he's going, no-one will go on there before long!
Old 20-11-2006, 13:16   #125
Guest 1253
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMillburn
Any Lee fans that aren't on his mailing list might be excited to hear that the DVD of his last tour, 90's Comedian, is released on the shortly over at www.gofasterstripe.com
Just received and watched this genius show.
Old 21-11-2006, 10:13   #126
Guest 1764
Dry hairís for squids

Amstell trying too hard to live up to the rudeness factor established by Lamarr. Like a boy trying on his dadís shoes - They just donít fit. Toe-curlingly embarassing at times watching him struggle for a comeback. Should develop his own persona instead of trying to emulate what went before. Lamarr took belligerence to new heights and that too was uncomfortable to watch at times but at least you felt the anger and irritation was real rather than assumed as it seems with Amstell.

Bill Bailey (and Jupitus to a lesser extent) seems in shock at what the show has become. So quiet on the last show and hardly making a contribution it was a good job Winehouse was as funny as she was otherwise the edition would have been a total flop. Exchanges between Amstell and the GMTV bint were excrutiating. Itís like they let the tea-boy sit in while they set up the lighting but then left the cameras running.
Old 21-11-2006, 11:24   #127
Woz
Viva indifference

Haven't you seen Amstell before? This is his style and probably why he was chosen for the job.

Mind you - I agree that Bill Bailey seems to be fading into the background a bit.
Old 21-11-2006, 11:27   #128
Lorne.t
Trusted User

Amstell was even ruder on occasion on Popworld,showing no love for several Z list pop acts he had the misfortune of interviewing.
Old 21-11-2006, 11:32   #129
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

One day i'll agree with Mr E.

Todays not that day.
Old 21-11-2006, 11:44   #130
Guest 1764
Dry hairís for squids

One day IĎll join the herd.

Todayís not that day.

No, Iíve not seen him before but I donít regard that as necessary to pass judgment on his performance here. He is clearly overwhelmed by the show and appears to be struggling most of the time. He can deliver the scripted stuff without a problem but is way out of his depth with the banter and ad-libs and there is zero chemistry between him and Jupitus/Bailey which is part of what made the Lamarr version so enjoyable. They both knew if they threw something at Lamarr he could come up with a funny/rude retort without even thinking about it and vice versa. Amstell cannot on the evidence thus far. Lamarr kept the shows moving regardless of how bad the guests were, ably assisted by the big man and Bailey but they are both mere shadows of their former selves now and had it not been for Winehouse this last edition would have been an unmitigated disaster.

I was as glad as anyone to see Lamarr take a sabatical as the ranting had overtaken the comedy but his absence only serves to point up just how much he was the glue that held this show together.

Last edited by jonathan.e; 21-11-2006 at 11:47.
Old 21-11-2006, 11:48   #131

We must be watching different shows. In the one I'm watching Amstell has made the show that Lamarr was slowly killing well worth watching again. Has Phil Jupitus ever been that funny anyway? He seems to spend most of his time writing notes/doodling on his little pad.

Old 21-11-2006, 12:06   #132
mr_woo
Gamertag: Al Benicio

I can now actually watch this since Amstell has taken over, I hate Lamarr, have always hated him and always will. He is just not funny, he just ranted and thought the show was about him and continuously shouted over everyone else. Everytime I tried to watch the show he always ruined it.

Thank **** he's gone for good.
Old 21-11-2006, 13:02   #133
mjb1975
Blandiblub

Well, it was a VERY tired show before and now it's a series link in my Sky+ planner. Wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't for Amstell. He's hilarious, at least IMO....

Not bothered if Bill Bailey is a little faded - never really found him that funny tbh.
Old 21-11-2006, 13:12   #134
DMillburn
Trust me I'm a stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorin
Just received and watched this genius show.
It is excellent isn't it, and for an independent release the quality and presentation of the DVD is fantastic too. Hopefully they do alright with it in terms of sales and go on to do others - a DVD of Richard Herring's Someone Likes Yoghurt show would be nice for example, I'd be more than happy to part with a tenner for that.

Oh Lee & Herring fans (and Amstell/Jupitas fans too to keep it NMTB related) thinking about going to the Tedstock gig in Feb need to hurry up - booked my ticket yesterday and it's almost sold out, only seats up in the circle left now.

Last edited by DMillburn; 21-11-2006 at 13:25.
Old 21-11-2006, 16:07   #135
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb1975
....and now it's a series link in my Sky+ planner.
Which means you'll have found that the old NMtB Sky+ bug has returned and it records the weekend repeat has well.
Old 21-11-2006, 16:25   #136
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Simon Amstell always appeared confused and out of his depth on Popworld, that is, indeed, his style. It took me a while to get it, but when you realise its deliberate, (as I recall, on Popworld, he'd interview some z-lister, get them off their guard with his 'struggling', and then ask them a fairly insulting question) its a joy to watch, esp on Buzzcocks.
Old 21-11-2006, 17:08   #137
goonerforever
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan.e
He can deliver the scripted stuff without a problem but is way out of his depth with the banter and ad-libs and there is zero chemistry between him and Jupitus/Bailey which is part of what made the Lamarr version so enjoyable.
He really can't do the scripted stuff lol. I was at last week's recording and everything had to be done about 6 times! But he was brilliant at ad-libbing and Jupitus/Bailey seemed to really enjoy mocking him about it. They seemed like a great team at the recording, but obviously stuff always gets left on the cutting room floor!

I'm like the majority, Amstell is a breath of fresh air to this show and I now watch it religiously, other than just if it was on and I was watching the same channel, like it was in the latter series with Lamarr.
Old 21-11-2006, 17:41   #138
Guest 1764
Dry hairís for squids

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonerforever
He really can't do the scripted stuff lol. I was at last week's recording and everything had to be done about 6 times! But he was brilliant at ad-libbing and Jupitus/Bailey seemed to really enjoy mocking him about it. They seemed like a great team at the recording, but obviously stuff always gets left on the cutting room floor!
Everything good by the sound of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW
Simon Amstell always appeared confused and out of his depth on Popworld, that is, indeed, his style.
So, the bumbling ineptitude, searching for words and general shambolic out-of his-depthness....thatís "his style"?!? Well alright, Iíll watch again bearing that in mind but I doubt it will make any difference. Thereís no weight or conviction to his delivery and copying Lamarrís habit of initimidating female guests in particular just looks pitiful when Amstell does it. Trying to ridicule Penny Smith by bringing up her past relationships was pretty much one of the most embarassing things Iíve seen in years. Embarassing for Amstell and not Smith that is.

For those slighting Jupitus and Bailey just watch them now on other panel shows, such as QI where they come up with some great stuff and then contrast that with the semi-comatose performances on Buzzcocks. TheyĎre both very quick and witty men and that is simply no longer coming through on NMTB.
Old 21-11-2006, 18:06   #139
DMillburn
Trust me I'm a stomach

Quote:
a DVD of Richard Herring's Someone Likes Yoghurt show would be nice for example
Replying to myself here but I honestly hadn't seen this when I originally posted, good news as that's exactly what is going to happen next year according to Herring's site, detail's here:
http://www.chapter.org/7876.html
Old 21-11-2006, 20:00   #140
Guest 1253
Trusted User

Quote:
Replying to myself here but I honestly hadn't seen this when I originally posted, good news as that's exactly what is going to happen next year according to Herring's site, detail's here:
http://www.chapter.org/7876.html
That's definitely something I'll look out for, even though it is a little off topic . Good, no one noticed. Stewart Lee's website (the section on his writings) makes for fascinating and entertaining reading, BTW.
Closed Thread