Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 22-06-2003, 16:17   #1
beaky
Omnipresent

Cool 'Classic' films you haven't seen

I've just watched my way through 'Fatal attraction' and now understand about the 'bunny boiler' My mum has been on a t me for ages to watch it and I finally have. A class film it was too

What films that are so called 'classics' have you not seen yet, or never intend to. I watched Blade runner for the first time a year or so ago, and bought the Godfather boxset when it came out, as I had never seen the films previously.

Come on then - own up

Last edited by beaky; 22-06-2003 at 16:59.
beaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 16:34   #2
vsehijpal
Trusted User

My old flatmate had most of De Niros classics including Ragin Bull, Once Upon a Time... and Taxi Driver i kept telling myself that id watch em someday but never got round to it
vsehijpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 16:44   #3
Guest 11070
4768-8558-3913

Goodfellas, Goonies, Godfather trilogy (although I have it), plus many others not starting with G.
Guest 11070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 16:57   #4
Guest 27772
Banned

never seen the godfather trilogy, usual suspects, shawshank redemption (just bought this finally), the deer hunter, raging bull
Guest 27772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 16:59   #5
Hernster
Toon Army Member

Blade Runner and Casablanca.
Hernster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 17:51   #6
maddogsuk
Trusted User

- Godfather's
- Gone with the wind
- Lord of the rings 1 & 2
- Sound of music

I just bring myself to watch any of them, I dont know why.
maddogsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 17:59   #7
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,709 Times in 589 Posts
Casablanca and Gone With The Wind.

After watching Citizen Kane and being not that impressed it has dulled my enthusiasm to watch more 'classics'. Although I did enjoy The Third Man
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 18:44   #8
Guest 18344
Trusted User

many (actually all the above baring a couple (LOTR, Sound Of Music (although never all the way thro) and Shawshank Redemption (thanks, bizarely, to my Nan!))

dont watch many "classics" although would like to see a couple (Blade Runner and Usual Suspects)
Guest 18344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 18:48   #9
GAmbrose
Trusted User

Quite a lot of films on the BFI top 100 list.

Gary A
GAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 18:54   #10
Guest 28173
Golden God

Casablanca, citizen kane, schlindlers list, once upon a time in america, taxi driver, deer hunter, basic instinct, any stanley kubrick movie (bar clockwork orange), halloween , nightmare on elm street, friday the 13th, Ben-hur, Platoon,

I need to stay in more
Guest 28173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 20:20   #11
Guest 155
Trusted User

Of the Sight & Sound critics' and directors' top tens from last year, there are two I haven't seen - La rčgle du jeu and Rashomon. And it's not been for lack of opportunity either - somehow I just haven't got round to these two. Still, I have the BFI DVD of the former, so should rectify this in due course!
Guest 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 20:50   #12
Guest 45
Trusted User

Out of all the Sight & Sound top tens going back to 1952, I haven't seen:

City Lights, The Gold Rush, Intolerance, Louisiana Story, Greed, Brief Encounter, Le Million, L'avventura, La terra trema, Pather Panchali, The Godfather Part II, Rashomon

Of the AFI list of the 100 best American films, I haven't seen:

Gone With The Wind, The Wizard of Oz, On The Waterfront, It's A Wonderful Life, Sunset Boulevard, The Bridge on the River Kwai, All About Eve, The African Queen, The Grapes of Wrath, Bonnie and Clyde, Mr Smith Goes To Washington, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, It Happened One Night, Midnight Cowboy, The Best Years Of Our Lives, West Side Story, The Birth of a Nation, A Streetcar Named Desire, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, From Here to Eternity, All Quiet on the Western Front, Rebel Without a Cause, Network, An American in Paris, Forrest Gump, Ben-Hur (1959 - I've seen the 1925 version), Wuthering Heights, The Gold Rush, Dances With Wolves, City Lights, American Graffiti, Rocky, The Deer Hunter, Giant, Mutiny on the Bounty, Frankenstein, Patton, The Jazz Singer, My Fair Lady, A Place in the Sun, The Apartment, Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, Yankee Doodle Dandy

...and I may well get fired from my present job for this admission, but of the BFI 100 list of the 100 best British films, I haven't seen:

Brief Encounter, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, The Servant, Zulu, Room at the Top, Alfie, The Italian Job, A Man For All Seasons, I'm All Right Jack, This Sporting Life, My Left Foot, A Taste of Honey, The Ipcress File, Blow-Up, The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner, The Remains of the Day, Sunday Bloody Sunday, The Railway Children, Goodbye Mr Chips, The Day of the Jackal, The Cruel Sea, Far From The Madding Crowd, Darling, Women in Love, A Hard Day's Night, In Which We Serve, Life Is Sweet, Small Faces, The Killing Fields

(To shame me even further, I've highlighted titles that I own on DVD in bold - I really have no excuse with these!).
Guest 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 20:51   #13
Guest 3627
GamerTag: Caygs

Despite all the talk about it, I have still not seen Citizen Kane.
Guest 3627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 20:55   #14
The Bear

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Brooke
Alfie
What a great film. Full of comedy and tragedy at the same time. My favourite Michael Caine performance ever. It's a crying shame that you haven't got round to seeing it, especially since you already own it.
Old 22-06-2003, 20:58   #15
Guest 45
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by The Bear
What a great film. Full of comedy and tragedy at the same time. My favourite Michael Caine performance ever. It's a crying shame that you haven't got round to seeing it, especially since you already own it.
Ah, but should I trust someone who "wasn't that impressed" by Citizen Kane?

(You've set yourself up a neat Catch-22 situation there, by the way - if your negative reaction to Citizen Kane has put you off investigating American film history in general, by definition you'll never realise just what it is that makes Citizen Kane such an extraordinary experience, so you'll forever be unimpressed!)
Guest 45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 21:18   #16
The Bear

For me it didn't live up to the tag of 'Greatest Film Ever Made'. I have nothing against the film, I just can't agree with the label.

I had read the reviews and the explanations as to why it was regarded so highly previous to watching it, but ultimately thought of it only as ok afterwards.

I had the same feeling after watching Once Upon A Time In America as well. Which was good but didn't live up to it's reputation.
Old 22-06-2003, 21:24   #17
Guest 9011
Trusted User

Star Wars (any of them)
Jaws
Citizen Kane
The Godfather
Vertigo
Psycho
Apocalypse Now
Saving Private Ryan
Alien (any of them)
Blade Runner
The Shining
Clockwork Orange (seen about 15 minutes of it)
The Graduate

I could go on and on. Perhaps it would make more sense for me to list the so-called classics I have seen!
Guest 9011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 21:30   #18

Mr Stanton's not seen...

Dude, where's my Car
Scary Movie 2
Pearl Harbor
Police Academy:Mission to Moscow
Van Wilder Party Liason
Gone with the wind
The Pokemon Movie
Old 22-06-2003, 21:46   #19
Guest 4576
Trusted User

Call it snobbery, but I lose a great deal of respect for anyone's opinion who simply labels Citizen Kane as "dated", "boring", "overrated" or some other hopelessly inaccurate dismissal.

The fact is, it took cinematic language to a whole new level while combining a fascinating story with outstanding performances from all concerned. Anyone who doesn't find it entertaining has a screw loose - it's the story of a man who owned the world then managed to lose it again. It's an absolute miracle of a film with more brilliance and innovation in every scene than practically anything since (in my opinion, The Magnificent Ambersons - Welles' follow-up - tops it on a scene-for-scene basis, but the film as a whole doesn't measure up, being so truncated).

You don't expect to get everything out of Shakespeare and Milton by skimming through them once, so why should you with some of the all-time cinematic greats? When you realise and understand that movies aren't simply about entertainment and that actually working at what a film has to offer is ten times as invigorating and rewarding as kicking back and enjoying a no-nonsense action film or comedy, then you'll know what the art of motion pictures is all about.
Guest 4576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2003, 22:00   #20
McD
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by Arch Stanton
Mr Stanton's not seen...

Dude, where's my Car
Scary Movie 2
Pearl Harbor
Police Academy:Mission to Moscow
Van Wilder Party Liason
Gone with the wind
The Pokemon Movie
I've seen Pearl Harbour (lucky me!) but you've highlighted six other notable omissions from the McD 'seen list'.

That said, I've heard about the 'Dude' 'Sweet' scene from Where's My Car so often that sometimes I think I've seen it.
McD is offline   Reply With Quote