Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion

Old 27-05-2003, 22:35   #101
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by tips4tnt
DeadKenny - great stuff! I'll get the images added when I get home from work!

The bitrate viewer I've used can be downloaded from http://www.visualdomain.net/
Just done a bitrate as well ...

http://www.deadkenny.co.uk/hitch/nbnw-R4-bitrate.jpg

P.S. The screenshots I did were saved in Photoshop at the 'max' setting which is quality "80". I assume that's a 20% compression, so you can add that to the page too
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2003, 19:43   #102
new
Sand Dab

I've just been reading Empire magazine (& I still think its the best film mag around!).

There is an interview in it with Peter Bogdanovich, in which they mantion the books that he has also written. One of them is "The Cinema of Alfred Hitchcock. I have done a search on Amazons Uk, Can, & US sites & can find no mention of this book anywhere.

Has anybody read it, & is it worth me tracking one down?

Last edited by new; 01-06-2003 at 16:08.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 12:30   #103
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by new
I've just been reading Empire magazine (& I still think its the best film mag around!).

It was good up until 1995, but it's now just 90% adverts, pin-ups and silly articles and 10% actual relevant stuff... in my opinion
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 12:36   #104
Guest 9043
Green Trader

Total Film is better
Guest 9043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 13:37   #105
Aardvark
Licenced to kill germs.

Quote:
Originally posted by new
...Peter Bogdanovich, in which they mantio the books that he has also written. One of them is "The cenema of Alfred hitchcock".
For one surreal moment there I thought someone had written a book called 'The Enema Of Alfred Hitchcock'.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 08:55   #106
MartinC
Trusted User

the book could be Who the Devil Made It?: Conversations with Legendary Film Directors.

there's a chapter on Hitchcock in this, plus other directors.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 11:25   #107
new
Sand Dab

I have found an out of print version 1st edtion that was released when the Birds come out.

It includes every Hitchcock film up untill then & is yours for $266

Anybody recomend any good Hitch books?
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 11:47   #108
MartinC
Trusted User

the Conversations with Francois Truffaut is a good start..

Hitchcock: A Definitive Study of Alfred Hitchcock (Paperback)

(not sure if this needs to be forum-ised?)

Last edited by maddogsuk; 12-07-2009 at 15:16.
Old 02-06-2003, 14:33   #109
Guest 18933
Trusted User

Hitchcock on Hitchcock is quite good.

The Complete Hitchcock is quite handy to have lying around, although it does list the entire plot for each film (which might just spoil the film if you've not seen it before!)

The Truffaut book and also Spoto's The Dark Side of Genius: The Life of Alfred Hitchcock (Paperback) are usually the two most recommended Hitchcock books.

Last edited by maddogsuk; 12-07-2009 at 15:17.
Guest 18933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 14:59   #110
Guest 18659
Entertainer

Quote:
Hitchcock on Hitchcock is quite good.

The Complete Hitchcock is quite handy to have lying around, although it does list the entire plot for each film (which might just spoil the film if you've not seen it before!)
I have Hitch on Hitch - an interesting read, some insightful stuff

Cheers for the info on The Complete Hitchcock, tips4tnt! I have The Complete Spielberg and didn't realise there was a similar release for Hitch - will be ordering asap, I know for sure that my Spielberg copy has been very useful as a guide to most of his films

Juggler

Last edited by maddogsuk; 12-07-2009 at 15:17.
Guest 18659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 20:07   #111
Guest 18933
Trusted User

Howdie everyone - been really busy at work the last few weeks, which has been and

Anyway, been mucking around with funky stuff like mod_perl handlers and the Hitchcock DVD site is undergoing a big change at the moment, so bear with me. There's even a dinky little forum and stuff now!

I've got a day off work tomorrow, so I'm gonna get all the scans and images plugged back into the DVD details pages. Also, the lovely Criterion box set turned up from dvdsoon the other day, so I'll get chance to have a look at them tomorrow and get some screen grabs done
Old 12-06-2003, 09:40   #112

Quote:
Howdie everyone - been really busy at work the last few weeks, which has been and

Anyway, been mucking around with funky stuff like mod_perl handlers and the Hitchcock DVD site is undergoing a big change at the moment, so bear with me. There's even a dinky little forum and stuff now!

I've got a day off work tomorrow, so I'm gonna get all the scans and images plugged back into the DVD details pages. Also, the lovely Criterion box set turned up from dvdsoon the other day, so I'll get chance to have a look at them tomorrow and get some screen grabs done
WOW. That is a great site. Excellent one stop reference for newbie Hitchcock converts like me

Can I suggest something: Why not link in , or use quotes from websites like dvdcompare or whatever, which tell us which region and which version is the 'best' to buy.

BTW I saw Strangers on the Train the other day. Nice film

I prefer hitchcock's dark style more than anything, eg Psycho, THe Birds, Vertigo
Old 12-06-2003, 11:52   #113
Guest 18933
Trusted User

Thanks Zaheerm - just added the comparison links back into the site, along with all the image scans that I currently have

I'm just putting together some image comparisons for the few films where I have two different DVD's.

If anyone wants to contribute image scans, screen grabs, comments or reviews, please do!
Old 12-06-2003, 21:34   #114
MartinC
Trusted User

the site is excellent, tips.

note: dial m for murder is due for 17/10 in region 1, dont know if you can put this in its entry somewhere.

another suggestion - a link to dvdpricecheck for each film would be nice, so people can get a price whilst looking at each one? guess you'd have to check with the site.

also shout if you want any screenshots doing, happy to help.

I currently have both the R1 & R2 spellbound, notorious and rebecca if you want exact comparion shots, plus 15-20 of the others also.

the R2s are up for sale if anyone wants them.

speaking of Spellbound, very sad to hear of the death of Gregory Peck today.

Last edited by MartinC; 12-06-2003 at 21:35.
Old 13-06-2003, 06:32   #115
Guest 18933
Trusted User

MartinC - cheers!

It might be interesting to do the R1/R2 comparisons, as DVD Beaver only compares the Criterion discs with the Anchor Bay ones.

I've done one comparison page already for Psycho, but it doesn't really show you anything new that DVD Beaver hadn't already done. I'm just finishing off some comparisons for The 39 Steps that are a lot more revealing tho - hopefully those will be ready this weekend.

If you fancy doing other screenshots, I'd be more than grateful! I've been trying to put together a "thanks to" for each page for all the contributers - I'll get that up and running over the weekend, so let me know if I've missed anyone out.

I've just emailed dvdpricecheck to ask for permission to link in - great idea! I'll let you know what they say.
Old 13-06-2003, 11:30   #116
MartinC
Trusted User

okay, happy to do the screenshots, do you have standard pic sizes, settings & software that you want for these?

I'll try and get it as close as possible.
Old 13-06-2003, 13:29   #117
Guest 18933
Trusted User

The screenshots so far have been done with WinDVD 4 or PowerDVD 4 - both using their inbuilt "capture" function. The images were then saved as JPEGs in Paint Shop Pro with 5% compression (that should keep the JPEG artefacts to a minimum without the file size being too big).

The only resizing I've done is for when I've done comparison images, as (I think) NTSC and PAL are different sizes?

I've usually taken grabs of the menu(s), the film title, and then various grabs throughout the film - I've tried to do grabs where there's a lot of detail in the scene or where there's smooth gradients of colour (e.g. skin tone or fog/smoke) where a low bitrate would generate noticeable blocks of single colours.

Obviously if you're wanting to do comparisons, then you'll need to try and get more or less the frame for each DVD. If there's already some grabs on the site for a different DVD of the same film, then (if you've got enough patience!) it'd be handy to have similar grabs.

I'd be really grateful if you could check to see if you have any DVD's that don't currently have an accurate details bit of text next to them, as I'll have got the disc specs from either a review or a site like Amazon. Ideally I need detailed specs of the extras (e.g. length of documentaries, who's in them) along with any corrections to the main details (e.g. subtitles, runtime, etc).

Ta v much!
Old 18-06-2003, 19:17   #118
Guest 18933
Trusted User

Just a quick bump to say that you can now start voting for your fave Hitchcock films & DVD's However, you'll need to register on the message board so that I can use it's cookie to keep track of what you've voted for.

http://www.daveyp.com/hitchcock/
Old 18-06-2003, 19:20   #119
John Hodson
Out to lunch...

Just a quick word tips4nt; that's one hell of a good Hitchcock site you have there, an invaluable and essential resource for all fans. A brilliant job

---
So many films, so little time...
John Hodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2003, 23:16   #120
Guest 19908
Trusted User

Great site, tips4tnt!

I see that you have the five Criterion dvd's listed as Region 1 encoded. Only Notorious is R1, the other four Criterions (39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes, Rebecca and Spellbound) are Region 0 encoded.

You also have the Criterion dvd of Rebecca listed as 1 disc, when in fact it is a 2 disc set.

Also, check out the Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) Comparison at Dvd Beaver. The R2 version is clearly the one to get!
And finally, our site states that the trailer is present on that R2 Man Who Knew.... disc, but this is not the case: It is nothing more than a Carlton promotional trailer
Guest 19908 is offline   Reply With Quote